Southern CA Pothole Warning ...

You’re on 21’s right? Best thing you can do is probably dump them and go the 20’s especially with how crap the CA roads are and time it takes them to fix potholes.

Honestly, it’s a low profile tire so it’s always going to be a little more delicate but I’ve come to the conclusion that Pirelli just doesn’t make a good tire or low profile ones are least. I’ve had them on 3 different cars over the last decade and just haven’t had good luck with them. I ended up getting 20’s on my Lucid and am no longer scared every time I hit a bump in the road. The $1600 bill to replace a tire and damaged rim on the 21’s was enough for me to switch down when I had the opportunity.
Thanks for you input. I have the stock 19" for the Pure. From inspecting the damage, both the tire and rim are weak. Certainly not robust enough for a 6000 pount vehicle. Nice smooth quiet ride but Lucid will fail if this weakness is common.

Thanks for you input. I have the stock 19" for the Pure. From inspecting the damage, both the tire and rim are weak. Certainly not robust enough for a 6000 pount vehicle. Nice smooth quiet ride but Lucid will fail if this weakness is common.
19" blowouts are rare, but have happened to other forum members. You must have hit that pot hole just right to bust both tires. And the Pure is under 5k pounds. The GT is over 5200 lbs

19" blowouts are rare, but have happened to other forum members. You must have hit that pot hole just right to bust both tires. And the Pure is under 5k pounds. The GT is over 5200 lbs
Agree that 19" blowouts are very infrequent reports. I went from 21" to 19" for that very reason. 30k+ miles with potholes but without deflation. Must have shaken you up quite a bit. Fortunately, you were able to get out of harm's way safely.

Odd conclusion.

No issues with my 19” Pirellis. I’ve had Pirellis on other cars and have had no issues. I think the issue is more the susceptibility of low profile tires, regardless of manufacturer, to damage on potholed roadways. I’ve always been aware, with any car, that although low profile tires can enhance a vehicle’s aesthetics and improve handling, it can also sacrifice ride comfort, mileage/range and increase the risk of damage from poorly maintained roads. You make the decision as to what’s more important to you.

Good luck with getting anything from them. Last time I tried they wanted the exact longitude and latitude of where the pothole was. Seriously, who would have that! I gave them the section of freeway and they refused to pay.

Found out later that you’re better off to just find a random pothole around town and tell the city it’s what caused the damage. People have had better luck getting money out of the city vs the state.
Even though I could have easily went back and got the GPS coordinates for them, it wasn't necessary. They've acknowledged the pothole was where I described and already fixed it ... I'm just waiting to see if the state will pay for the damages.

1720196189573.png

I hit a pothole yesterday; bent both wheels on passenger side. Rear tire ruptured and went to flat. Front one lost 50% pressure. Pulled over and phoned Lucid who arranged flatbed to rescue me from the side of the road. I am surprised how vulnerable these wheels/tires are to road damage. I've never had this happen in hundreds of thousands of driving over decades with conventional profile tires and wheels. I was not traveling more than 35 mph; I can imagine driving at 70 plus. I did not see this hazard coming as I was momentarily distracted by a Front Camera Fail warning that appeared. The latest software update installed the night before. Related?
Wow ... you must've hit a crater ... do you have any pictures of the bent wheels? At "full highway speed" my tire blew out and my wheel just had a slight ding on it which wasn't enough to warrant replacement. This was after carefully driving at least a quarter mile off the freeway too.

Back