Pothole 1 - Lucid Air 0

stealth

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Lucid Air Touring
Shortly after 0600 EST on Monday, I was a few miles into my commute and it was still pitch black outside. I was about to merge onto the interstate from a local, state road traveling about 40mph and experienced a jarring bump that physically jolted me off my seat. Surely, I thought, my tire blew and the car was gravely damaged. I had no idea what I hit and kept driving, cautiously. Tire pressure numbers all looked good and the car drove fine so I continued on and pulled over after I exited the interstate. Much to my horror, my two-week old Lucid Air, still with temporary tags, endured a massive injury to the front left wheel and the plastic insert was nowhere to be found, but somehow the tire seemed fine (pictures attached). I went to the dealership in Tysons after work and was fortunate that they could swap the wheel for me. 30 minutes and $1,080 later, I was back on the road. The service staff (and me too) was baffled at how the tire was still hanging on by a bead!

On my commute in the next morning around the same spot, I noticed a very shallow pothole, about one inch deep, but extremely wide - perhaps the width and depth of the Lucid Frunk Carpet Divider. That was what I "hit" or drove over the prior morning. Has anyone else experienced this type of wheel deformation after hitting a pothole? Is this type of result normal, even with 21 inch wheels? Beyond the tire pressure and alignment, are there are other things I should closely monitor after this event?

This was a humbling (and expensive) lesson to always scan the road for any deviations in the asphalt. I am totally new to sedans and having only ever large driven SUVs for 20+ years and yes, I have 21 aero sport stealth wheels on my Air Touring which most likely played a huge factor.

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 16.20.15.pngScreenshot 2024-01-10 at 16.20.00.png

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 16.20.15.png

Screenshot 2024-01-10 at 16.20.00.png

Last edited:
Document and you may be able to file a claim with the city where the pothole was located. Yea, it's amazing that it didn't go flat right away.

Sorry my man. One of the pitfalls of a 6000 lbs. car. I've got a mildly bent (nothing like yours) wheel from my own pot hole experience.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Entirely unsurprising for 21 inch wheels and low aspect ratio tires on any car. I got 19s for precisely this reason.

Shortly after 0600 EST on Monday, I was a few miles into my commute and it was still pitch black outside. I was about to merge onto the interstate from a local, state road traveling about 40mph and experienced a jarring bump that physically jolted me off my seat. Surely, I thought, my tire blew and the car was gravely damaged. I had no idea what I hit and kept driving, cautiously. Tire pressure numbers all looked good and the car drove fine so I continued on and pulled over after I exited the interstate. Much to my horror, my two-week old Lucid Air, still with temporary tags, endured a massive injury to the front left wheel and the plastic insert was nowhere to be found, but somehow the tire seemed fine (pictures attached). I went to the dealership in Tysons after work and was fortunate that they could swap the wheel for me. 30 minutes and $1,080 later, I was back on the road. The service staff (and me too) was baffled at how the tire was still hanging on by a bead!

On my commute in the next morning around the same spot, I noticed a very shallow pothole, about one inch deep, but extremely wide - perhaps the width and depth of the Lucid Frunk Carpet Divider. That was what I "hit" or drove over the prior morning. Has anyone else experienced this type of wheel deformation after hitting a pothole? Is this type of result normal, even with 21 inch wheels? Beyond the tire pressure and alignment, are there are other things I should closely monitor after this event?

This was a humbling (and expensive) lesson to always scan the road for any deviations in the asphalt. I am totally new to sedans and having only ever large driven SUVs for 20+ years and yes, I have 21 aero sport stealth wheels on my Air Touring which most likely played a huge factor.

View attachment 17570View attachment 17571

View attachment 17570

View attachment 17571
So sorry. Totally sucks. At least you could get a replacement quickly.

Document and you may be able to file a claim with the city where the pothole was located. Yea, it's amazing that it didn't go flat right away.
This was my thought as well; however, during my limited research about this in Maryland, indicates that have a high bar of burden to prove that the state highway/dept. of transportation folks knew about the roadway issue, did not repair it, and my encounter occurred inbetween their knowing about and their not repairing it; I.e. negligence. The law firms I have looked up in the area seem to have the playbook, but my sense is that the legal costs and headache to get a reimbursement would be more costly than the $1K I spent on the replacement. More than anything, I want the road repaired and called in myself to report the pothole.

Class action?
Have you experience any wheel deformations from minor depth potholes? I read somewhere on here in another thread a theory someone posted that maybe the alloy in these wheels or the design may not yield as strong a wheel as compared to others… the Tysons VA service center advisers said they do more wheel and tire repairs than anything else there. I will try to get a photo of this pothole tomorrow, it was maybe 1 inch deep, very wide and long.

Sorry you have to deal with this. Entirely unsurprising for 21 inch wheels and low aspect ratio tires on any car. I got 19s for precisely this reason.
Yes, it does make me regret the 21 inch wheels.
I was reading other posts and will say I was inspired by @borski who shared he had not had issues with the 21 inch wheels, but admittedly, I would venture that he and many others are used to quickly reacting to anything that is not smooth pavement.

For instance, you ride a road bike differently than a mountain bike. I am learning the hard way lol!

I was reading other posts and will say I was inspired by @borski who shared he had not had issues with the 21 inch wheels, but admittedly, I would venture that he and many others are used to quickly reacting to anything that is not smooth pavement.

For instance, you ride a road bike differently than a mountain bike. I am learning the hard way lol!
It also helps to boost the tire pressure up to about 45 PSI instead of 42 PSI on the 21" wheels.

It also helps to boost the tire pressure up to about 45 PSI instead of 42 PSI on the 21" wheels.
Yep. I’m running mine at 45. I had a mobile visit today and mentioned that it was recommended and he hadn’t heard of this.

Have you experience any wheel deformations from minor depth potholes? I read somewhere on here in another thread a theory someone posted that maybe the alloy in these wheels or the design may not yield as strong a wheel as compared to others… the Tysons VA service center advisers said they do more wheel and tire repairs than anything else there. I will try to get a photo of this pothole tomorrow, it was maybe 1 inch deep, very wide and long.
He was kidding - it’s an inside joke about how many posters here scream “class action” because it rained and the car got wet lol

I’m sorry to hear about your issues. I really haven’t had any - I’m at just about 15k on the 21s, haven’t even swapped the 19s on in over a year.

But I do come from driving sedans with sport tires, so I’m extremely cautious and always scanning the road for hazards, and have good reflexes. Hell, I’m running them at 42, but I check them weekly.

The 21s do ride much better and handle much better, and they’re stickier, imho. But I wouldn’t buy them anywhere the temps are regularly below 40-45 and/or there is any snow or significant rubble / bad roads.

Here in CA we have great roads, on average, and it’s not like the 21s are made of porcelain lol - I’ve taken them on plenty of cobblestone and gravel, but at very low speeds.

He was kidding - it’s an inside joke about how many posters here scream “class action” because it rained and the car got wet lol
Oh wow, I totally took that literally lol. I am clearly still new around here!

But I do come from driving sedans with sport tires, so I’m extremely cautious and always scanning the road for hazards, and have good reflexes. Hell, I’m running them at 42, but I check them weekly.

The 21s do ride much better and handle much better, and they’re stickier, imho. But I wouldn’t buy them anywhere the temps are regularly below 40-45 and/or there is any snow or significant rubble / bad roads.

Here in CA we have great roads, on average, and it’s not like the 21s are made of porcelain lol - I’ve taken them on plenty of cobblestone and gravel, but at very low speeds.

I really appreciate your perspective on this because it does prove, by example, that the 21s are doable, can last without issue, and are performant. I think more than anything amidst this whole incident and hearing your’s and other’s experiences with 21s, is that it highlights the need for a sport sedan driving style that is very alert and very sensitive to pavement anomalies that I will confess I had never had to worry about while driving Land Rovers or lifted Wranglers over the years. Potholes and terrible road conditions are no problem and easy to discount when you are running 38 inch tires, 18in wheels, and off road suspension!

Suffice to say I am, and happily I would add, making the adjustment to driving a proper car with the attention to the asphalt it deserves.

Yep. I’m running mine at 45. I had a mobile visit today and mentioned that it was recommended and he hadn’t heard of this.
I will definitely try this. Lucid service set everything to 42 on Monday. Thank you for the tip as it might quell a bit of the anxiety/fear I now have about driving over a pothole I failed to see!

Sorry about your day
My 21s went in the basement after a few hundred miles never to be seen again
I run 19s year round here in Chicago for fear of what happened to you good sir

20" wheels are a great in-between option for looks and durability. I had 21" wheels on my Tesla and kept getting flats and bent rims on potholes in winter so I went with 20's on the Lucid with all season tires as I'm in a snowy climate. I've since hit some pretty significant potholes in the Lucid that had me immediately checking the tire pressure screen as they would have definitely have banged up the 21's, but fortunately have had zero flats on the 20's after a year. I wish I could say the same for curb rash, but that's another topic :)

Pothole 2 - Lucid Air 0
1000012178.jpg
1000012364.jpg
1000012365.jpg
Xmas Eve as well so it took 3 days to get my car towed from the side of street to Discount Tire.

For these things, it's all about the angle. 9/10 times you will hit them and be just fine.

Xmas Eve as well so it took 3 days to get my car towed from the side of street to Discount Tire.

My gosh man, that is a wickedly deceiving pothole, not because of large depth or area, but for the opposite reason! It looks like it was filled in which makes it easy to overlook… and it’s just that one corner that is brutal.

Am sorry to see that happened to you to begin with, especially on Christmas Eve, of all days and nights to have to deal with that.

I am trying out what @Adnillien suggested and boosting my tire PSI to 45lbs in the hopes that it offers better protection since I love the look and handling of the 21s too much to give them up for 20s or 19s for greater pothole resistance. Just have to stay extremely alert to the pavement conditions ahead on every drive!

Back