My Second Flat Tire In A Month

Lagunalaw1

Cars
Lucid Air Grand Touring
I have the Lucid Air Grand Touring with 21 inch wheels. I have just had my second side blow out in about a month. When it blew out it felt like I hit a pot hole, but didn't see one when looking at the spot. If it were just a one time thing I wouldn't be concerned, but now twice in a month. I think there is some defect in the design or tire. I even asked the tow truck guy and he said it is a common problem. Have other people experienced an issue with getting an abnormal amount of flat tires with a side blow out? I had Teslas for years and no issue.

Sorry about your blowouts. There are a number of threads on here about tire issues. It's primarily with the 21s, which seems to be due to a combination of a very heavy car and low sidewalls. From what I understand, blowouts are more common in summer tires because of the low sidewalls and the Lucid's weight makes it a higher possiblity of occurring.

I myself had a blowout after 700 miles after driving over uneven pavement (not a pothole). No issues since and I just crossed 10k miles this weekend, but I've been hyper vigilant about avoiding road imperfections.

I switched to 19s after two blowouts and 4 bent rims in two months due to NYs third world roads. They are not as pretty but the 20s were not available a year ago which might be a good compromise between the 21s and 19s. Anyone have blowouts on the 20s yet?

No blow out here, 7400 miles in. I primarily do highway only miles as cruiser.

I had 2 blowouts in 4 months with my Tesla Model S on 21's. I personally think it's weight + not enough sidewall.

Last year I did get a very slow leak when a car in the next lane on the freeway tossed a small piece of sheet metal that cut my tread. It took over a week to figure it out and find the very small cut. Had to replace the tire. Then about a month ago traveling on 101 slowly in traffic I did hit a pothole which put a small scratch on my rim and put a small cut in the bead just outside the edge of the rim. I did not have to replace that tire. With all the atmospheric rivers we have experienced in the Bay Area over the last two months, the roads are full of pot holes which is very unusual for us California drivers. So the Millbrae Service Center is seeing many flat tires and not just on the 21" but also on the 19". Now I drive much slower and keep scanning the road surface trying to leave enough room around my car so I can swerve as necessary. I'm sure I will eventually get pulled over for suspicion of driving under the influence.

This is just a known problem with low profile tires probably exacerbated by the roads in many parts of the country sprouting potholes like crazy. Here is a link to what discount tires has to say:

I really don't think that this is a Lucid problem as much as a low profile tire problem. Maybe Lucid should tell perspective buyers about the increased likelihood of going from a 19 to a 20 and even more to a 21.

I've experienced two pothole blowouts in the past two months and I'm running 19s. The first one was where I live in Central California. It was a pothole filled with rain water and my. right rear tire caught it as I made a lane change. Lucid roadside assistance was worthless so I called a local tow service and had it taken to my local tire purveyor. (BTW I submitted a claim to the City and my reimbursement check should be arriving next week.)

Second blowout was a pothole in Kingman, Arizona, as I exited the freeway. Thank goodness my Modern Spare had arrived the week before and it was with me. Again, Lucid roadside assistance worthless.

I both situations I had to wait overnight to have the tire replaced since it is not locally stocked. First time my local vendor provided a same size tire overnight so I could drive home. The second time I had the Modern Spare.

Pothole vigilance is now part of my driving routine. I'm hoping future Lucid software updates will incorporate all of their surveillance equipment to Dream Drive me around these obstacles! Hey, I can dream.

I've experienced two pothole blowouts in the past two months and I'm running 19s. The first one was where I live in Central California. It was a pothole filled with rain water and my. right rear tire caught it as I made a lane change. Lucid roadside assistance was worthless so I called a local tow service and had it taken to my local tire purveyor. (BTW I submitted a claim to the City and my reimbursement check should be arriving next week.)

Second blowout was a pothole in Kingman, Arizona, as I exited the freeway. Thank goodness my Modern Spare had arrived the week before and it was with me. Again, Lucid roadside assistance worthless.

I both situations I had to wait overnight to have the tire replaced since it is not locally stocked. First time my local vendor provided a same size tire overnight so I could drive home. The second time I had the Modern Spare.

Pothole vigilance is now part of my driving routine. I'm hoping future Lucid software updates will incorporate all of their surveillance equipment to Dream Drive me around these obstacles! Hey, I can dream.
huh...what are the odds that we too had a tire bulge / almost a blowout that had to be rectified right away on route to Vegas from Kingman, AZ. This was on I-40 W while almost taking the exit to US-93 I think

Now I drive much slower and keep scanning the road surface trying to leave enough room around my car so I can swerve as necessary. I'm sure I will eventually get pulled over for suspicion of driving under the influence.

But you might as well have a Leaf or Bolt if you have to drive that way. Not why you got a Lucid Air. I have 21s on my GV60 but they are not summer tires and I have not had any blowouts although the roads in North Scottsdale are awfully good (I am originally from the Northeast so I do know potholes and bad roads). One solution is to buy the tires from Costco which come with a five year road hazard warranty. Problem is that these are not common tires so they will not have them in stock so it will likely take a few days before you can have them installed. Discount Tire has a certificate program for the same purpose but, again, I suspect that the tires will not be in stock.

When it is time to replace mine I have been thinking of HL rated Michelin 4S tires. Maybe someone will keep these in stock.

But you might as well have a Leaf or Bolt if you have to drive that way. Not why you got a Lucid Air. I have 21s on my GV60 but they are not summer tires and I have not had any blowouts although the roads in North Scottsdale are awfully good (I am originally from the Northeast so I do know potholes and bad roads). One solution is to buy the tires from Costco which come with a five year road hazard warranty. Problem is that these are not common tires so they will not have them in stock so it will likely take a few days before you can have them installed. Discount Tire has a certificate program for the same purpose but, again, I suspect that the tires will not be in stock.

When it is time to replace mine I have been thinking of HL rated Michelin 4S tires. Maybe someone will keep these in stock.
Yeah in the past potholes really haven't been much of a problem here either except for a couple of known bad roads (101). But now that we've had these multiple atmospheric river storms there are potholes everywhere and while the 21" wheels with the summer tires are more susceptible there have also been many blowouts for Lucid owners with the 19" wheels with the all season tires. We are talking about some pretty seriously deep potholes and when driving at night or in the rain they can be very hard to see.

Yeah in the past potholes really haven't been much of a problem here either except for a couple of known bad roads (101). But now that we've had these multiple atmospheric river storms there are potholes everywhere and while the 21" wheels with the summer tires are more susceptible there have also been many blowouts for Lucid owners with the 19" wheels with the all season tires. We are talking about some pretty seriously deep potholes and when driving at night or in the rain they can be very hard to see.
Yes, California highways have become minefields. I wonder how many people have been pulled over by the cops for a possible DUI because of all the swerving required to avoid them?

If you are talking about the 21" Michelin Pilot Sport All Season, then those are not rated for the weight of the car. After two blowouts and 5 tires on the card (awaiting refund at the time for the 5th) within 1,000 miles, TireRack and Discount Tires finally noticed the load weight was not sufficient...

TireRack now has all the tires that are load rated for the Lucid on their site. If you look now, they have removed every tire except OEM for 21".

TireRack now has all the tires that are load rated for the Lucid on their site. If you look now, they have removed every tire except OEM for 21".
You are correct. They have 4S tires in 21" HL load for my car but not for the Lucid. I suspect they will have it shortly since our tires are not that much different in size (mine are 255X40R21).

So, I too just got my 2nd tire bulge in a month. I am also on 21"-- My car only has 6000 miles on it! I talked to the guys at Discount Tire and they just told me to file a claim with the city of San Diego for pot hole damage.

So, I too just got my 2nd tire bulge in a month. I am also on 21"-- My car only has 6000 miles on it! I talked to the guys at Discount Tire and they just told me to file a claim with the city of San Diego for pot hole damage.
Did you purchase the road hazard warranty from them?

Just switched to Conti that come with teslas and on the same roads haven't had bubbles or blowouts and I did accidentally hit the same pothole.

Back