My Second Flat Tire In A Month

I've experienced two pothole blowouts in the past two months and I'm running 19s. The first one was where I live in Central California. It was a pothole filled with rain water and my. right rear tire caught it as I made a lane change. Lucid roadside assistance was worthless so I called a local tow service and had it taken to my local tire purveyor. (BTW I submitted a claim to the City and my reimbursement check should be arriving next week.)

Second blowout was a pothole in Kingman, Arizona, as I exited the freeway. Thank goodness my Modern Spare had arrived the week before and it was with me. Again, Lucid roadside assistance worthless.

I both situations I had to wait overnight to have the tire replaced since it is not locally stocked. First time my local vendor provided a same size tire overnight so I could drive home. The second time I had the Modern Spare.

Pothole vigilance is now part of my driving routine. I'm hoping future Lucid software updates will incorporate all of their surveillance equipment to Dream Drive me around these obstacles! Hey, I can dream.
What do you mean roadside assistance did not work out ?

I too experienced my first sidewall blowout on my car about 40 miles from my house, driving my son to a soccer game. 21" OEM tires with <1000 miles on them. Called roadside assistance and they were helpful/friendly but wasted 1h because they dispatched a tow company in Oregon (I'm in Vancouver, BC, CANADA!). Then they spent the next hour finding a company in BC but I cancelled the tow as it was a saturday and the servce centre was closed until monday. Instead, my wife came to pick me up and then we drove back home to pick up a single winter spare I had just taken off and drove back to my car by the side of the road and I replaced the wheel myself. 10min change but 2h round trip. When I got home, I changed my 21" summers back to my 19" winters and will figure out what to do with my blown 21" tire.

This is the first car I've had a blown tire with and I have several cars with 30/35 ration tires. I've had lots of slow leaks but never a blown tire where I had to pull over immediately as there was a dime sized hole in the side wall. I must be due to the lucid's weight as my other cars are 1500-2200 lbs lighter!

Weight does matter in this. I had a S550e with AMG 20 wheel. I drove it around 50k miles and had to replace approximately 18 tires. Rims were repaired around 3 times. Once I moved from RFT's to non RFT's, it didn't happen again. There is a class action for that I think. The car was way too heavy for those wheels and could never get the alignment right and to stick. My last straw was blowing by rear tire which looked absolutely fine seeing from outside and top but due to messed up alignment were showing strands on inside.

Hi all,

Was going to post to the other (more recent) thread, but it seems to be closed to further replies. First off, it's been a long while since I have been on the boards, but for those who know, I hope I'm viewed as either a neutral to positive poster as far as Lucid is concerned. I very much still love the car, and hope that there are nothing but good things ahead for them. Having said that, I have to say that I'm a bit perplexed at how quickly the prevailing sentiment (especially from the moderators) seemed to be - "well, people should just drive more carefully and avoid all potholes. It's a heavy car." I have 17k miles on the car, and I'm about to replace the RF tire for the 4th time. Another bubble has popped up. I can tell you that with each tire issue, I have tried to be even more careful. For the standard route I drive, I know every single pothole on the way there. To the best of my knowledge, with this latest one, I don't believe I hit anything. I strongly believe (recognizing how unscientific as beliefs can be) that the weight of the car simply plays an outsized role in the reliability of the tires. I'd hypothesize that if there is even the slightest structural imperfection, you'll simply develop a bubble over time. Hitting any size pothole will only accelerate that.

Maybe that's not accurate, but the answer cannot be - buy a warranty or just drive better. It also can't be that because some posters (especially mods) haven't experienced an issue that there isn't an issue with the tires. The fact that Lucid has made the switch for the 20s and is planning to offer another tire for the 21s should indicate that there is at least some realization that the Pirellis have some issues. Not convinced, some older members may recall that Pirelli initially offered a 1 year warranty on the tires, and canceled that less than a year in. This is a problem and whitewashing it on the boards feels a little vexing.

I jumped back on to see if there were alternatives and to gage what others were experiencing. @hydbob I think you mentioned in the other thread that some other folks had had some success with a different tire. Can you confirm that and if accurate, post a link to the type of tire and any national chain that carries them? I'm willing to switch to a different brand if it exists. I am having difficulty with the idea that I have to get a 4th tire in basically a year (5 tires overall) from the same manufacturer.

Apologies that my first post in a while isn't a typically positive one, but this tire thing is absolutely driving me crazy.

Hi all,

Was going to post to the other (more recent) thread, but it seems to be closed to further replies. First off, it's been a long while since I have been on the boards, but for those who know, I hope I'm viewed as either a neutral to positive poster as far as Lucid is concerned. I very much still love the car, and hope that there are nothing but good things ahead for them. Having said that, I have to say that I'm a bit perplexed at how quickly the prevailing sentiment (especially from the moderators) seemed to be - "well, people should just drive more carefully and avoid all potholes. It's a heavy car." I have 17k miles on the car, and I'm about to replace the RF tire for the 4th time. Another bubble has popped up. I can tell you that with each tire issue, I have tried to be even more careful. For the standard route I drive, I know every single pothole on the way there. To the best of my knowledge, with this latest one, I don't believe I hit anything. I strongly believe (recognizing how unscientific as beliefs can be) that the weight of the car simply plays an outsized role in the reliability of the tires. I'd hypothesize that if there is even the slightest structural imperfection, you'll simply develop a bubble over time. Hitting any size pothole will only accelerate that.

Maybe that's not accurate, but the answer cannot be - buy a warranty or just drive better. It also can't be that because some posters (especially mods) haven't experienced an issue that there isn't an issue with the tires. The fact that Lucid has made the switch for the 20s and is planning to offer another tire for the 21s should indicate that there is at least some realization that the Pirellis have some issues. Not convinced, some older members may recall that Pirelli initially offered a 1 year warranty on the tires, and canceled that less than a year in. This is a problem and whitewashing it on the boards feels a little vexing.

I jumped back on to see if there were alternatives and to gage what others were experiencing. @hydbob I think you mentioned in the other thread that some other folks had had some success with a different tire. Can you confirm that and if accurate, post a link to the type of tire and any national chain that carries them? I'm willing to switch to a different brand if it exists. I am having difficulty with the idea that I have to get a 4th tire in basically a year (5 tires overall) from the same manufacturer.

Apologies that my first post in a while isn't a typically positive one, but this tire thing is absolutely driving me crazy.
Damn sorry to hear that, we just don't know what is going on with these tires and only Pirelli/Lucid know and can parse the data to see, but either way a few owners have swapped to the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S or Michelin Pilot Spotlrr 4S AS

Most recently I think @Demosthenes put on a set and is testing them. Load rating is lower, so overall you lose about 350lbs of carrying capacity.

Does anybody think that maybe it isn't so much the wrong tire as much as it is that 21" wheel is simply too big for the car? Going to a 35 ratio tires with a car weighing this much may not/should not be recommended? I don't hear 20" or 19" tires bursting!? I guess a tire manufacturer can build/design a tire with enhanced sidewall strength but maybe until then lucid should maybe recommend 20" or smaller wheels? I don't know of any other cars that have 35 ratio tires with 245mm width that weighs over 5000 lbs!

I’m not sure why you seem to be calling out the moderators for covering up or not appreciating this problem. I have 21 inch wheels and drive very carefully, much more so than any other car I own. I am nervous about a blowout and/or a bubble. I check the tires frequently, something I have never done any other car. I can only attribute it to good luck that it hasn’t happened to me yet, the potholes are very bad this year after all the rains. I bought an aftermarket warranty, which is a crappy solution and additional out-of-pocket expense that shouldn’t be necessary. I am hoping for the day that a better solution is available, or at least a better tire. I’ve had good luck with Michelin on other vehicles and I’m hoping that they are available soon. I would gladly switch over if it would help. I feel your frustration and I wish I could help you in some other way.

As a moderator, it is not my job to be a cheerleader for Lucid. It is my job to make sure the forum is a friendly and neighborly place. You will note that I have created an entire website and YouTube channel dedicated to bugs and wishlist items that really should have been taken care of by now. I love my car, but I have never hesitated to call out issues and problems. I don’t think any of the other moderators has acted any differently. They can speak for themselves. If your issue is about tires, let’s talk about tires. Please don’t imply some sort of cover-up or conspiracy.

Does anybody think that maybe it isn't so much the wrong tire as much as it is that 21" wheel is simply too big for the car? Going to a 35 ratio tires with a car weighing this much may not/should not be recommended? I don't hear 20" or 19" tires bursting!? I guess a tire manufacturer can build/design a tire with enhanced sidewall strength but maybe until then lucid should maybe recommend 20" or smaller wheels? I don't know of any other cars that have 35 ratio tires with 245mm width that weighs over 5000 lbs!
i believe that @Sandvinsd blew out a 19" tire

To be clear: I am not saying the Pirelli tires do not have a defect. I am saying we don’t have the data yet to show whether they do or don’t; we know that plenty of folks on this forum have had blowouts and/or bubbles. I happen to have not had any yet, but that may just be luck, too - there are also plenty who have been “lucky“ like me.

My sole point is that until we have data without significant sampling bias, we are bound to make guesses that are inaccurate, and I think the safest bet for now is to buy a tire warranty. Is it the tire? Is it the weight? Is it some specific lot number of the tire? Is it 2% of people with issues and misery loves company, or is it 90% of people with issues, or somewhere in between? I have no idea. We don’t have good stats. A Twitter poll does not make that any more or less true.

Do I wish there was a Michelin option? Absolutely. I’ve always liked how Michelins drive better anyway. I would probably swap even before my OEM tires are bald, tbh.

So I guess my point boils down to: I hate that people are experiencing this. I am not whitewashing that in the slightest. I also do not think there is anything we can do about it unless we have more data (which only Lucid or Pirelli have) or there is another option, which I’m hopeful for.

P.S. That really sucks about your tire again; I hope you never get another bubble.

P.P.S. As for the road hazard warranty issue, Pirelli seemed to remove it extremely quickly, and for *all* PNCS tires, in any size, so I don’t know how related that is to this specific situation. That said, I wish they hadn’t removed it, and would be accountable to any issues their tires have.

And welcome back @Maverick :) I’ve genuinely missed seeing you around here.

Hi all,

I was told by a pirelli certified shop that small bubbles are normal, but large bubbles should be replaced. So I'm not really sure

i believe that @Sandvinsd blew out a 19" tire
Yes. I had a sidewall blow out in December on the 19’s. It was a deep, ragged pothole that I didn’t see in the dark and fog, and speed wasn’t in play as I had just turned the corner about 100 feet from a stop light. Likely caught the edge of the pothole which ripped it open. First blow out I have had in my lifetime of driving. I do think the 19s are more stable, but they are not immune with such a heavy vehicle. I do believe the tires will improve over time now that EVs are more common and much heavier than ICE Cars. Go to discount tire and get tire insurance that will cover the tires if they blow. It will give peace of mind.

In 3000 miles I had one bubble 21" tire replaced (at 1000 miles) and I had a second tire blow out on the highway (3000 miles) and there was nothing on the road and I did not hit anything. I can only assume there must have been a bubble and since it was on the inside of the tire I was not able to see it until it decided to pop while on the highway. In my past 30 years of driving I have never experiences a bubble in a tire ever before having these Pirelli tires. Both times Lucid offered no discount or warranty on the tire and charged for full replacements. I think Lucid needs to offer users a atleast a discount on replacement because with 2 tires being replaced in 3000 miles I am concerned with how many more I will need to go through.

In 3000 miles I had one bubble 21" tire replaced (at 1000 miles) and I had a second tire blow out on the highway (3000 miles) and there was nothing on the road and I did not hit anything. I can only assume there must have been a bubble and since it was on the inside of the tire I was not able to see it until it decided to pop while on the highway. In my past 30 years of driving I have never experiences a bubble in a tire ever before having these Pirelli tires. Both times Lucid offered no discount or warranty on the tire and charged for full replacements. I think Lucid needs to offer users a atleast a discount on replacement because with 2 tires being replaced in 3000 miles I am concerned with how many more I will need to go through.
Have you considered purchasing a warranty?

Have you considered purchasing a warranty?
Yes, I am considering it but I am also waiting to hear what Lucid is going to do about the issue. They said they are testing new Michelin Tires and will send an announcement soon with the results. If the problem is going to keep happening I would prefer to invest in getting rid of the Pirelli tires instead of continuing to deal with the issue.

It's crazy that my timing just worked out perfectly but at the time of my blowout, my cost was covered by Lucid and Pirelli due to recall/warranty

Pirelli is the OEM for both the 19 and 21's, this is natural skewing that they are the culprits for the blowout. Careful driving a given, I am still worried about about the OEM Michelins on the Tourings, although the Pilot Sport EV is an OEM on some versions of the Mercedes EQS, and that car is close to 1000 lbs heavier than the Touring.

Also recall the Pilot Sport 4S is the OEM for the TMS Plaid, they seem to have their own issues regarding excessive wear , but perhap the negative camber in that setup is a big part of the issues.

It's crazy that my timing just worked out perfectly but at the time of my blowout, my cost was covered by Lucid and Pirelli due to recall/warranty
Maybe you have a better service center. Mine did not even entertain a warranty claim with Pirelli.

Maybe you have a better service center. Mine did not even entertain a warranty claim with Pirelli.
It depends on when you got the car. Sometime around June/July 2022 Pirelli removed the warranty for PNCS tires. I got my car (and thus, tires) in January 2022, so Lucid replaced mine via Pirelli’s warranty for just a *nail* in it twice, because they were warrantied.

New tires bought after that time won’t have the same warranty.

Back