My Second Flat Tire In A Month

Pirelli is an extremely well known and well-regarded brand in general; Lucid buying their tires was definitely not an outlandish or even inexpensive proposition.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience though. Perhaps try a different Pirelli-certified dealer?
Yeah, Getting the run around from every dealer we call. Sorry we don't handle warranty claims on any tire not purchased directly. Where did you get the tires? Lucid, Contact Lucid and they don't handle warranty claims call Pirelli. Its just a loop of no one wanting to help.

I have the Lucid Air Grand Touring with 21 inch wheels. I have just had my second side blow out in about a month. When it blew out it felt like I hit a pot hole, but didn't see one when looking at the spot. If it were just a one time thing I wouldn't be concerned, but now twice in a month. I think there is some defect in the design or tire. I even asked the tow truck guy and he said it is a common problem. Have other people experienced an issue with getting an abnormal amount of flat tires with a side blow out? I had Teslas for years and no issue.
Are Lucid’s tires insulated with foam inside like Tesla’s?

So, I got two more bubbles in both of my front tires and I went to Discount Tire to get my warranty replacement on these and guess what, Pirelli is backlogged on manufacturing these tires and they won't be available until the end of September!

So, I got two more bubbles in both of my front tires and I went to Discount Tire to get my warranty replacement on these and guess what, Pirelli is backlogged on manufacturing these tires and they won't be available until the end of September!
Sounds like we dodged a bullet with a timely swap to 19s before our road trip.

What size? 21’s are available at TireRack which owns Discount Tire

Makes me even happier I switched to the 20s a few weeks ago. I feel better on the Michelins.
@Neurio. I would to, but I am no longer having nightmares about my 21" Pirellis. As @Bobby @borski and others have said, they have tens of thousands of miles with 21 and never a bulge. On my OEM Pirellis, I now have 4k of fast rough highway and Colorado back roads. I have smacked potholes. No issues.

I dare say driving style plays a role. While I only have anecdotal proof, in my heart of hearts and racing experience, I am convinced tire pressure plays a role in these Pirelli issues. I believe Lucid recommended 42 is too low. And if you set at 42, you are immediately loosing air below 42.

I run 45 or 46, cold, measure early AM, with a good gauge. The TPMS sensor is +- 3psi. Not consistent. For a tire to develop a sidewall bulge, it must have hit something that causes the sidewall to fold over so much that the side plies separate. It's the air in your tire that holds the car up. The less psi, the less pressure and air volume to hold up.

In SCCA racing we would try, for fun, putting the tires at max AP. The car rode like hell, but tires ran cool and never ever suffered internal damage. And then we lowered slowly. Many here will tell you TP is always a compromise, usually between comfort and heat and rolling resistance. And now with our low profile tires and heavy steamroller Lucids and shitty roads, the chance of inner sidewall ply separation.

And, your 20s are still low profile. Keep your chin and tire pressure up! And EVEN withour Lucid 19s, with a big 45 ratio,Lucid requires 49 PSI!!! That should tell you something about Lucids thoughts on TP.

Last edited:
They are the EXACT tires. Just choose Lucid 21’s, only OE tires are shown with staggered setup

DT/AT and TR have common ownership since Jan 1, but are still separate. I will bet TR does not recognize the AT/DT certificate. Hope I am wrong, but dealing recently with both, the only relationship was that TR would ship the tire to DT, but I had to pay DT directly for mounting after the TR tires arrived.

DT/AT and TR have common ownership since Jan 1, but are still separate. I will bet TR does not recognize the AT/DT certificate. Hope I am wrong, but dealing recently with both, the only relationship was that TR would ship the tire to DT, but I had to pay DT directly for mounting after the TR tires arrived.
I’d recommend that @GCM-SanDiego tell DT that the tires are available, I heard that they can transfer inventory. A month wait isn’t acceptable

What size? 21’s are available at TireRack which owns Discount Tire
Fyi:
I’d recommend that @GCM-SanDiego tell DT that the tires are available, I heard that they can transfer inventory. A month wait isn’t acceptable
That would be amazing. Good luck and let us know. FYI: DT bought Tire Rack. DT/AT is now the largest tire retailer IN THE WORLD.

@Neurio. I would to, but I am no longer having nightmares about my 21" Pirellis. As @Bobby @borski and others have said, they have tens of thousands of miles with 21 and never a bulge. On my OEM Pirellis, I now have 4k of fast rough highway and Colorado back roads. I have smacked potholes. No issues.

I dare say driving style plays a role. While I only have anecdotal proof, in my heart of hearts and racing experience, I am convinced tire pressure plays a role in these Pirelli issues. I believe Lucid recommended 42 is too low. And if you set at 42, you are immediately loosing air below 42.

I run 45 or 46, cold, measure early AM, with a good gauge. The TPMS sensor is +- 3psi. Not consistent. For a tire to develop a sidewall bulge, it must have hit something that causes the sidewall to fold over so much that the side plies separate. It's the air in your tire that holds the car up. The less psi, the less pressure and air volume to hold up.

In SCCA racing we would try, for fun, putting the tires at max AP. The car rode like hell, but tires ran cool and never ever suffered internal damage. And then we lowered slowly. Many here will tell you TP is always a compromise, usually between comfort and heat and rolling resistance. And now with our low profile tires and heavy steamroller Lucids and shitty roads, the chance of inner sidewall ply separation.

And, your 20s are still low profile. Keep your chin and tire pressure up! And EVEN withour Lucid 19s, with a big 45 ratio,Lucid requires 49 PSI!!! That should tell you something about Lucids thoughts on TP.
I had a blow out at 700 miles (chronicled here) and didn't have any more issues over the next 15k miles. Part of that, I think, was being hyper vigilant and avoiding all potholes and road irregularities as much as possible. I did hit a few big pot holes I didn't see and thankfully the tires and wheels held up. I had wanted the 20s originally when I ordered my GT, but it would have been a months long wait to get the car, so I went with the 21s. I finally decided to pull the trigger and go back to the 20s for the looks and higher sidewall tires. Getting the Michelins rather than the Pirellis was an added bonus.

I run 50 psi cold on my 20s I like some meat on my tires
IMG_0328.jpeg

Anyone tried these on 19" wheels?
I have not, but I suggest using the Tire Rack site, and listing you car for the tire search - they know Lucid. My memory says I do not think they make a EV in that size. But EV tires listings are growing every day. If you put in your car, TR SHOULD only bring up tires that are rated speed and load wise for the size and car, even if not EV. They also bring up NON EV tires that have proper speed and load, just maybe more noise and not super low resistance. And Tire Rack has been great REMOVING tires that they thought would work for us but did not. Case in point: the 21" Mich Pilot Sport were listed for Lucid, a forum member bought them and they blew out almost instantly. So, TR removed them as useable for Lucid.

Back