My Second Flat Tire In A Month

It depends on when you got the car. Sometime around June/July 2022 Pirelli removed the warranty for PNCS tires. I got my car (and thus, tires) in January 2022, so Lucid replaced mine via Pirelli’s warranty for just a *nail* in it twice, because they were warrantied.

New tires bought after that time won’t have the same warranty.
Mine was October 2022

A seller removes its new product warranty! What a clear and obvious signal that the seller is selling a bad product.
Michelin also doesn’t cover road hazards on either OE or replacement tires:

That Pirelli ever did was a surprise to me, tbh. Bubbles should be covered as a defect if you hit nothing, but road hazards are rarely covered by a manufacturer warranty.

Michelin also doesn’t cover road hazards on either OE or replacement tires:

That Pirelli ever did was a surprise to me, tbh. Bubbles should be covered as a defect if you hit nothing, but road hazards are rarely covered by a manufacturer warranty.
You are correct. But a bubble can be a manufacturing defect or a road hazard. Tire manufacturers, not surprisingly, try to always claim that they are road hazard caused. Michelin does cover bubbles that are manufacturing defects.

You are correct. But a bubble can be a manufacturing defect or a road hazard. Tire manufacturers, not surprisingly, try to always claim that they are road hazard caused. Michelin does cover bubbles that are manufacturing defects.
Yes of course. And technically, Pirelli also covers defects.

I have the Lucid Air Grand Touring with 21 inch wheels. I have just had my second side blow out in about a month. When it blew out it felt like I hit a pot hole, but didn't see one when looking at the spot. If it were just a one time thing I wouldn't be concerned, but now twice in a month. I think there is some defect in the design or tire. I even asked the tow truck guy and he said it is a common problem. Have other people experienced an issue with getting an abnormal amount of flat tires with a side blow out? I had Teslas for years and no issue.
I have had one sidewall blowout and two sidewall bubbles in a month. Two from potholes and one I don't know. I think that what happens when you have a car that weighs 5 tons and has a tire inflation of 49 psi.

I have had one sidewall blowout and two sidewall bubbles in a month. Two from potholes and one I don't know. I think that what happens when you have a car that weighs 5 tons and has a tire inflation of 49 psi.
Are you on 19" wheels or 21" wheels. The reason I ask is the the inflation for 21" is 42 PSI and the inflation for 19" is 49 PSI. Your 49 PIS indicates 19" wheels which are much less prone to bubbles and blowouts.

Just switched to Conti that come with teslas and on the same roads haven't had bubbles or blowouts and I did accidentally hit the same pothole.

Our first Tesla (a Model S with 19" wheels) came with Conti DW tires. They were the best tires I have ever driven, especially in the wet (a big concern during south Florida's rainy season). Unfortunately, Continental replaced the DW's with a newer version that wasn't available in the same sizes when it came time to put the third set of tires on the car.

We now have a 2021 Model S Plaid and a Lucid Air Dream P, both with 21" wheels. We've had to replace Lucid Pirelli tires twice due to punctures, and two weeks ago we had to replace the Tesla Michelin tires due to a cut on the tread.

We're in yet another construction boom in Florida, and I suspect we're going to be dealing with frequent tire replacements for a while, as our neighbors are having the same experience.

What do you mean roadside assistance did not work out ?

The above question was in response to a post by Driveabout saying that Lucid roadside assistance was worthless when he had a flat tire.

While I am a big fan of Lucid service generally, I have to agree with him about Roadside Assistance. When our car was hit shortly before 10 p.m. one evening, I called Lucid Roadside Assistance to see whether they could get the car towed by someone with experience towing Lucids. (The car was not drivable, and the deputies were pressing to get both cars removed from the intersection as quickly as possible.)

Roadside Assistance told me they couldn't give me the name of any tow companies familiar with EVs and that I would have to find one on my own. I then told them that the car would not even power up and asked whether it was safe to handle the car. They said they were a contract service, not part of Lucid, and that they would have to connect me to Lucid Customer Service for advice on how to handle the car. (After being on hold twice for more than 20 minutes each time trying to reach Customer Service, I had to give up, as the police kept needing more information.)

Finally, I told the deputies that if they wanted the car moved, they would have to call whatever tow service they had on call that evening and that I would just have to take my chances with whoever showed up. The tow truck driver who finally showed up had no idea how to handle a Lucid, and I ended up in an argument with him when he tried to lift the front end to tow the car on its rear wheels -- a definite no-no with any EV. The deputies had to intervene to instruct him to drop the car and bring in a flatbed (which I had already told the deputies was necessary before they put the call in for the tow truck).

So yeah . . . Roadside Assistance is worthless.

The above question was in response to a post by Driveabout saying that Lucid roadside assistance was worthless when he had a flat tire.

While I am a big fan of Lucid service generally, I have to agree with him about Roadside Assistance. When our car was hit shortly before 10 p.m. one evening, I called Lucid Roadside Assistance to see whether they could get the car towed by someone with experience towing Lucids. (The car was not drivable, and the deputies were pressing to get both cars removed from the intersection as quickly as possible.)

Roadside Assistance told me they couldn't give me the name of any tow companies familiar with EVs and that I would have to find one on my own. I then told them that the car would not even power up and asked whether it was safe to handle the car. They said they were a contract service, not part of Lucid, and that they would have to connect me to Lucid Customer Service for advice on how to handle the car. (After being on hold twice for more than 20 minutes each time trying to reach Customer Service, I had to give up, as the police kept needing more information.)

Finally, I told the deputies that if they wanted the car moved, they would have to call whatever tow service they had on call that evening and that I would just have to take my chances with whoever showed up. The tow truck driver who finally showed up had no idea how to handle a Lucid, and I ended up in an argument with him when he tried to lift the front end to tow the car on its rear wheels -- a definite no-no with any EV. The deputies had to intervene to instruct him to drop the car and bring in a flatbed (which I had already told the deputies was necessary before they put the call in for the tow truck).

So yeah . . . Roadside Assistance is worthless.
Wait… your Lucid got in an accident? So sad :(, what are your next steps do you plan to replace just super curious…

Wait… your Lucid got in an accident? So sad :(, what are your next steps do you plan to replace just super curious…

Yep, a young man who had his first car for three weeks turned left in front of us at a large intersection. Totaled both cars.

I've already replaced our Air DE-P with an identical car, right down to the color. Used, of course, but in good shape and with 11,500 less miles on it.

Washed car today and surprise another bubble. These tires are shit. 3600 miles and this will be the third tire. Lucid support needs to get to the bottom of this. I have been super safe and hit nothing.

20230506_134442.jpg

Washed car today and surprise another bubble. These tires are shit. 3600 miles and this will be the third tire. Lucid support needs to get to the bottom of this. I have been super safe and hit nothing.

View attachment 12052
Did you purchase insurance on them? I’m glad I did for peace of mind.

Did you purchase insurance on them? I’m glad I did for peace of mind.
After my last replacement and warranty coverage.. I definitely took it to discount tire and got all 4 tires insured.

However, I hit those potholes hard cause it was in the middle of a highway. So I hit it at 70 mph. That's how I got my two front 19" flats.

After new tires came and ans they rotated it, they informed me part of the inside rim has a tiny dent and can't be rotated to the front, and to be aware of it. It wouldn't balance 100% I suppose.

As an update I called Pirelli and complained about the tire issue and and spoke with someone who allowed me to file a claim and gave me a claim number and told me to contact Mr. Tire which is around 30 miles from me and they would honor the warranty claim and replace my tire for no cost. I called Mr. Tire and they said they will not honor any Pirelli warranties because they never get reimbursed for the claims and Pirelli is the worst company to deal with. So essentially I am out of luck and have to spend another $500 to replace another tire. Looks like Lucid made a great decision to team up with this company.

As an update I called Pirelli and complained about the tire issue and and spoke with someone who allowed me to file a claim and gave me a claim number and told me to contact Mr. Tire which is around 30 miles from me and they would honor the warranty claim and replace my tire for no cost. I called Mr. Tire and they said they will not honor any Pirelli warranties because they never get reimbursed for the claims and Pirelli is the worst company to deal with. So essentially I am out of luck and have to spend another $500 to replace another tire. Looks like Lucid made a great decision to team up with this company.
Pirelli is an extremely well known and well-regarded brand in general; Lucid buying their tires was definitely not an outlandish or even inexpensive proposition.

I’m sorry to hear about your experience though. Perhaps try a different Pirelli-certified dealer?

Back