Sapphire in September

I almost forgot that a number of 2:43 was thrown out for VIR grand course. Seems unbelievable, except the Plaid did do a 2:50.
Lightning lap 2:43 or under is only 16 cars.
IMG_0290.jpeg

The car looked very good. The paint was similar to BMW carbon black except a little lighter shade of blue in the sunlight. As the light faded it started to look more navy then black. The interior felt more put together than my early build. I think it is probably a combination of every supplier working on improvements. The darker interior gave me more of a luxury impression. I like the interior of th DE, but I liked the Sapphire interior better. The windshield is not a reduced version of the glass roof. It is like a standard windshield with the sun visors attached to the roof. This gives the car a much different feel. I think I will miss the glass roof 30% of the time and the other 70% of the time I will enjoy the additional protection from the sun.

I didn’t get to drive so impressions are as a passenger. We discussed race tracks and how the DE and the Sapphire would perform on steep banking like Daytona. Early software builds he said would have been a problem, but that I could take either car out on the banking and they will perform very well. He mentioned the Sapphire going 205, that might indicate the software limit that will be on the car. The DE is limited to 168 as many of you already know. He also confirmed as suspected that turning off all driving aids, there are still some software protections in place. This makes sense as fully unrestrained the motors would be capable of just shredding the tires.

I have been driving the DE for almost 20 months. I have done countless acceleration runs and laps on a racetrack. Even whith all that the Sapphire was noticeably quicker. The on ramp we took was not a particularly long ramp and yet 100 appeared almost immediately and he lifted to let the car go into regen to get back to a reasonable speed before merging. The car feels smoother. Essentialy the entire suspension is a redesign. The suspension or the Michelins or most likely the combination of the 2 smoothed out imperfections in the road that might be jarring in the DE. Hopefully we will not see the sidewall bubbles in the Michelins. Exiting the freeway and returning via Mulholland drive up the mountain, the car was put into Sapphire mode, which replaces sprint. There is a track mode which we did not use on the street.
With Sapphire mode engaged the car uses vectoring to help rotate the car into turns. From the passenger seat it felt similar to rear wheel steering of the BMW. I think it will take hands on the wheel to really appreciate. The car turned in easily and we took a few turns at speeds I would have expected some tire squeal. The Michelins remained quiet. The car rotate and could have easily accelerated faster than we did out of the corner. There was no doubt the car was well within it’s limits. As I was thinking there was a lot more available, David turned and said ”this is nowhere near the limit.”
The last demonstration of the ride was the new in house traction control. Previously Lucid was using a Bosch controller whigh made adjustments every 20-30 milliseconds. The new inhouse unit responded every millisecond. At a stop with a 90 degree turn, mid turn, the accelerator was put to the floor, the car rotated and shot forward like a bat out of hell, no drama, just building speed at an incredible rate. Just about any other the car the intervention of the traction control would have been quite noticeable.

The software build was a 1.0.xx. I got a chance to go through all the menus and other than the Sapphire specific items, seems to be same underlying build as what we have on our cars now.
I know some of you will feel the glass roof is a defining element of the car. If it was available as an option, I’m not sure if I would get it or not. I am almost always driving when I am in the car and don’t spend a lot of time looking above the visor.

An additional note. I was told Lucid is working very hard on the V2H. There are regulatory issues and they are working together with other manufacturers and they are very eager to be able to demonstrate the bidirectional capabilities of the car. Of course they could not comment on any timeline. I also asked since they are suppling Formal E and Aston Martin, how about a crate motor for shops doing EV conversions.
Pretty sure this is calling your name @hmp10

On the crate motor no response beyond we get that question a lot.

My impression on the ride, is in Smooth mode it is going to be better than the DE on 21s. Was very smooth in Sapphire mode as well. Most of the drive on asphalt that was in good condition so the stiffer setting was still comfortable. No doubt it will be fine as a daily driver.

No final range number. The goal is as close as possible to the DE performance. If it was Tesla I would bet on 420. I will be very surprised if it is below 400 and my guess is 415-430.
@hmp10 I really think you should consider it now! Other than the color of the interior, I think that this could be a really good choice for you, considering that the ride quality is still good.

I almost forgot that a number of 2:43 was thrown out for VIR grand course. Seems unbelievable, except the Plaid did do a 2:50.
Lightning lap 2:43 or under is only 16 cars. View attachment 13793
I honestly think it can do better than 2:43, considering their target was a 911 gt3! Car and driver's test staff tend to be more inexperienced, and the Lucid is much easier to drive than any other car thanks to torque vectoring.(i'd assume)

I honestly think it can do better than 2:43, considering their target was a 911 gt3! Car and driver's test staff tend to be more inexperienced, and the Lucid is much easier to drive than any other car thanks to torque vectoring.(i'd assume)
I wouldn’t call driving a 5200 pound car that has insane acceleration at the limit as easier. One little mistake and that 5200 pounds will be driven by physics and the driver will just be along for the ride.

The car looked very good. The paint was similar to BMW carbon black except a little lighter shade of blue in the sunlight. As the light faded it started to look more navy then black. The interior felt more put together than my early build. I think it is probably a combination of every supplier working on improvements. The darker interior gave me more of a luxury impression. I like the interior of th DE, but I liked the Sapphire interior better. The windshield is not a reduced version of the glass roof. It is like a standard windshield with the sun visors attached to the roof. This gives the car a much different feel. I think I will miss the glass roof 30% of the time and the other 70% of the time I will enjoy the additional protection from the sun.

I didn’t get to drive so impressions are as a passenger. We discussed race tracks and how the DE and the Sapphire would perform on steep banking like Daytona. Early software builds he said would have been a problem, but that I could take either car out on the banking and they will perform very well. He mentioned the Sapphire going 205, that might indicate the software limit that will be on the car. The DE is limited to 168 as many of you already know. He also confirmed as suspected that turning off all driving aids, there are still some software protections in place. This makes sense as fully unrestrained the motors would be capable of just shredding the tires.

I have been driving the DE for almost 20 months. I have done countless acceleration runs and laps on a racetrack. Even whith all that the Sapphire was noticeably quicker. The on ramp we took was not a particularly long ramp and yet 100 appeared almost immediately and he lifted to let the car go into regen to get back to a reasonable speed before merging. The car feels smoother. Essentialy the entire suspension is a redesign. The suspension or the Michelins or most likely the combination of the 2 smoothed out imperfections in the road that might be jarring in the DE. Hopefully we will not see the sidewall bubbles in the Michelins. Exiting the freeway and returning via Mulholland drive up the mountain, the car was put into Sapphire mode, which replaces sprint. There is a track mode which we did not use on the street.
With Sapphire mode engaged the car uses vectoring to help rotate the car into turns. From the passenger seat it felt similar to rear wheel steering of the BMW. I think it will take hands on the wheel to really appreciate. The car turned in easily and we took a few turns at speeds I would have expected some tire squeal. The Michelins remained quiet. The car rotate and could have easily accelerated faster than we did out of the corner. There was no doubt the car was well within it’s limits. As I was thinking there was a lot more available, David turned and said ”this is nowhere near the limit.”
The last demonstration of the ride was the new in house traction control. Previously Lucid was using a Bosch controller whigh made adjustments every 20-30 milliseconds. The new inhouse unit responded every millisecond. At a stop with a 90 degree turn, mid turn, the accelerator was put to the floor, the car rotated and shot forward like a bat out of hell, no drama, just building speed at an incredible rate. Just about any other the car the intervention of the traction control would have been quite noticeable.

The software build was a 1.0.xx. I got a chance to go through all the menus and other than the Sapphire specific items, seems to be same underlying build as what we have on our cars now.
I know some of you will feel the glass roof is a defining element of the car. If it was available as an option, I’m not sure if I would get it or not. I am almost always driving when I am in the car and don’t spend a lot of time looking above the visor.

An additional note. I was told Lucid is working very hard on the V2H. There are regulatory issues and they are working together with other manufacturers and they are very eager to be able to demonstrate the bidirectional capabilities of the car. Of course they could not comment on any timeline. I also asked since they are suppling Formal E and Aston Martin, how about a crate motor for shops doing EV conversions.
Zipping a Sapphire along Mulholland drive sounds like a dream come true as I bet it makes it less frightening given the smoothness and stability. I’d still be terrified of all the blind driveways though. I was in a Polestar 2 up there and felt like the speed limit was too fast.

This is great analysis/description. Thanks for taking the time to write it out! Very exciting stuff. I really wanted to attend this but I got the invite like a week before the event! wasn't feasible to fly across country mid-week with my work schedule. A 2:43 @ VIR would be a hell of a time and a testament to Lucid's technology and design. I bet with some more aggressive aero it could get under 2:40 pretty easily. That in house traction control unit being 20-30x faster than the existing units is crazy. I can't wait to feel it for myself. I really hope I can get my hands on the car before snow starts flying here in NY, otherwise the car is going straight into a garage for spring.

“As impressive and inspiring as the Lucid Sapphire is, it presents some thought-provoking questions. Who is this vehicle for? ”

I assume the 427-mile range is with the aero covers on the wheels?

“As impressive and inspiring as the Lucid Sapphire is, it presents some thought-provoking questions. Who is this vehicle for? ”

That's actually what makes me uneasy about the Sapphire's appeal. It absolutely promises to be the best 5-passenger luxury sedan to use on a race track . . . but who really does that other than for the purposes of writing an article or making a video?

That's actually what makes me uneasy about the Sapphire's appeal. It absolutely promises to be the best 5-passenger luxury sedan to use on a race track . . . but who really does that other than for the purposes of writing an article or making a video?
Guilty

It seems Lucid let quite a few press folks take a similar test drive. This showed up with a Google search this morning:

Screenshot 2023-08-08 at 10.30.50 AM.png

The glass roof is not near as safe as a reinforced metal roof on any vehicle, no matter what the "factory" claims. Replacement cost is high and the weight kills milage as does the increase heat that radiates into the cabin.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I love having a large executive cruiser that can blow the doors off "sportier" cars. I can't imagine tracking the car would be more than a 1 time novelty, if that. I'm sure the car is capable of being tracked, but I can't imagine that's what its really for. For me, the Sapphire is just the latest top of of the line/food chain "brute in a suit" a la AMG's, M's and RS models.

Let's be honest, if Sapphire was the first vehicle they produced, we'd both have one over our DE-Ps 😁

Back