“penny wise but pound foolish” change in roof specifications

The Hack

Verified Owner
Cars
Touring
While the Sales Associates have obviously been scripted on how to explain the recent elimination of the Aluminum trim on the Glass Canopy roof it boils down to a Cost Cutting measure pure and simple.

The change in appearance is subtle but the discerning eye will notice that it dramatically changes the personality of the car.

Might as well also remove the aluminum exterior mirror caps to save a few more bucks. Does this mean that the Standard roof as currently listed on the the Lucid Configurator for the upcoming Touring Model will still be aluminum or instead just turned into a two tone paint job?

Time will tell.

While the Sales Associates have obviously been scripted on how to explain the recent elimination of the Aluminum trim on the Glass Canopy roof it boils down to a Cost Cutting measure pure and simple.

The change in appearance is subtle but the discerning eye will notice that it dramatically changes the personality of the car.

Might as well also remove the aluminum exterior mirror caps to save a few more bucks. Does this mean that the Standard roof as currently listed on the the Lucid Configurator for the upcoming Touring Model will still be aluminum or instead just turned into a two tone paint job?

Time will tell.
The metal roof matches the color of the car. No two-tone.

The metal roof matches the color of the car. No two-tone.
1666554390892.jpeg

Yes.
See the design configuration tool on lucid motors.com

I must be a boring person. I prefer the single color solid roof.
Not at all. I totally get it. I'm sure the majority of folks would prefer a roof that matches the rest of the car.

I definitely get why some see the two-tone thing as a bit of an "old man" aspect of the car. It's certainly a throwback to an older generation of luxury cars of the past. Personally, I see it as a bold brand move. The sort of thing Apple would do.

We'll know in five years if other car companies copy it whether it's an inspiring future trend, or just a moment of whimsy.

Has this gone into effect yet?

Not at all. I totally get it. I'm sure the majority of folks would prefer a roof that matches the rest of the car.

I definitely get why some see the two-tone thing as a bit of an "old man" aspect of the car. It's certainly a throwback to an older generation of luxury cars of the past. Personally, I see it as a bold brand move. The sort of thing Apple would do.

We'll know in five years if other car companies copy it whether it's an inspiring future trend, or just a moment of whimsy.
It’s already happening: the new Toyota Camry, Nissan Kicks, Toyota C-HR, Kia Soul, Volvo XC40, Lexus RZ 450e, BMW M760e, and this list goes on…

I definitely get why some see the two-tone thing as a bit of an "old man" aspect of the car. It's certainly a throwback to an older generation of luxury cars of the past. Personally, I see it as a bold brand move.

Since my first look at the Lucid Air five years ago, I have loved the design homage the car pays to the exuberance of mid-century automotive design: the two-tone exterior and interior, the integration of chrome accents into the visual flow, the use of panel undulations that play with light, even down to the Air logo that recalls the immortal 1957 Chevy Bel-Air.

To have integrated these retro elements so seamlessly into one of the most forward-looking designs on the market today is a wondrous feat of automotive design from a company whose designers and engineers clearly love the industry they're in.

Don Ohlmeyer, who ran NBC Studios and Entertainment during its heyday, always attributed the fact that David Letterman trailed in the ratings and was difficult to work with to the fact that he actually didn't like television. What you really think of your industry always shows up in your product, as GM made clear when its board began putting finance people instead of engineers in charge of the company. This ushered in an era when GM lost its engineering edge, sloppily assembled tacky crap, and made more money in GMAC (its financing arm) than in its car manufacturing.

Something similar is happening at Tesla today. Musk, who made his first fortune with PayPal, entered the car market to prove a point about the integration of software and electric propulsion into the transportation industry. That point made, he has now moved on to non-automotive ventures such as space exploration and now Twitter. Meanwhile, the much-touted flagship Tesla product is a mild styling rehash of the 10-year-old Model S that fell well short of its range promises when the Plaid+ was cancelled. The Roadster 2 is a fading 5-year-old tease, God only knows what's up with the Cybertruck, every new product update of the Models 3 and Y brings another round of feature de-contenting, and there's more buzz today about Tesla's potential for fleet operators than about building cars for drivers. Whatever drives Musk, it's not the love of cars. And it shows.

Peter Rawlinson, on the other hand, loves cars as driving machines. And that shows, too.

Since my first look at the Lucid Air five years ago, I have loved the design homage the car pays to the exuberance of mid-century automotive design: the two-tone exterior and interior, the integration of chrome accents into the visual flow, the use of panel undulations that play with light, even down to the Air logo that recalls the immortal 1957 Chevy Bel-Air.

To have integrated these retro elements so seamlessly into one of the most forward-looking designs on the market today is a wondrous feat of automotive design from a company whose designers and engineers clearly love the industry they're in.

Don Ohlmeyer, who ran NBC Studios and Entertainment during its heyday, always attributed the fact that David Letterman trailed in the ratings and was difficult to work with to the fact that he actually didn't like television. What you really think of your industry always shows up in your product, as GM made clear when its board began putting finance people instead of engineers in charge of the company. This ushered in an era when GM lost its engineering edge, sloppily assembled tacky crap, and made more money in GMAC (its financing arm) than in its car manufacturing.

Something similar is happening at Tesla today. Musk, who made his first fortune with PayPal, entered the car market to prove a point about the integration of software and electric propulsion into the transportation industry. That point made, he has now moved on to non-automotive ventures such as space exploration and now Twitter. Meanwhile, the much-touted flagship Tesla product is a mild styling rehash of the 10-year-old Model S that fell well short of its range promises when the Plaid+ was cancelled. The Roadster 2 is a fading 5-year-old tease, God only knows what's up with the Cybertruck, every new product update of the Models 3 and Y brings another round of feature de-contenting, and there's more buzz today about Tesla's potential for fleet operators than about building cars for drivers. Whatever drives Musk, it's not the love of cars. And it shows.

Peter Rawlinson, on the other hand, loves cars as driving machines. And that shows, too.
Could not have said this better myself. I've been thinking Tesla should be handed over to someone who actually cares about cars for a while now. But all of Elon's other interests are funded by Tesla's overinflated stock price (yes, still overinflated at half its peak) so he can't let go of that control.

The crash will come, and it will hit hard.

Meanwhile, Lucid is finally turning its story back around after a tough year. I have a feeling they are going to gain a lot of momentum in 2023.

Could not have said this better myself. I've been thinking Tesla should be handed over to someone who actually cares about cars for a while now. But all of Elon's other interests are funded by Tesla's overinflated stock price (yes, still overinflated at half its peak) so he can't let go of that control.

The crash will come, and it will hit hard.

Meanwhile, Lucid is finally turning its story back around after a tough year. I have a feeling they are going to gain a lot of momentum in 2023.
The proof Elon is not serious about driving is in the yoke. Dumbest idea ever!. I would love to see a YouTube video of people making quick three point turns with it and trying to grab the missing part.

The proof Elon is not serious about driving is in the yoke. Dumbest idea ever!. I would love to see a YouTube video of people making quick three point turns with it and trying to grab the missing part.
Not to mention all the folks who wrongly try to hold onto the steering wheel at the top. Now they will be holding on to air.

Good point! never thought of it that way. Buy a Lucid, CEO loves cars! Sell your Tesla, CEO loves his ego!

Just got an Email this Sunday morning from Susanne at the Riviera beach service center. Our family owned Six Teslas, and although we were treated, within industry norms, never did I get an email on Sunday morning to advising me on the status of my car that arrived the night before. I am not saying every Lucid center has a Susanne, but this is way beyond anything I have experienced in the last 50 years of car ownership.

Just got an Email this Sunday morning from Susanne at the Riviera beach service center. Our family owned Six Teslas, and although we were treated, within industry norms, never did I get an email on Sunday morning to advising me on the status of my car that arrived the night before. I am not saying every Lucid center has a Susanne, but this is way beyond anything I have experienced in the last 50 years of car ownership.

Lucid certainly does make an effort, but I have a feeling that the recent tow hook recall has them working 7 days a week. My car was supposed to be picked up at 9:00 a.m. last Tuesday to be trucked over to the Riviera Beach Service Center. They had so many pickups of other Lucids for the same destination that it was past 9 p.m. before the truck finally arrived. I'm in Naples, so my phone app didn't show the car arriving at the Service Center until past midnight.

My car failed the inspection and will have to have the new hook installed. This requires the removal of the front bumper, which is no small task in the best of circumstances. My car has after-market sensors mounted in the front end for the radar/laser detector system, as probably do many other Lucids, which will further complicate the bumper removal and reinstallation. Then the car's DreamDrive Pro lidar unit will have to be recalibrated, which ties up two service techs for a while. They're not even sure I'll get the car back next week.

I'm just hoping that Lucid can put everything back together properly and that the car doesn't have to go back to the radar installer, which would require yet another trip to the service center to recalibrate the car's lidar unit yet again.

This is one aggravating recall, for Lucid and for owners alike, as the work cannot be done by mobile techs.

Good point! never thought of it that way. Buy a Lucid, CEO loves cars! Sell your Tesla, CEO loves his ego!
He swallowed his ego to add radar back. Next he will add back the ultra sonic sensors and try to catch up with Lucid and add Lidar?

Back