Sapphire in September

I agree that the Sapphire is more a performance technology showpiece than a real sales driver. My question is what will that ultimately mean for Lucid Motors' success?

The whole Lucid Air lineup has already been widely recognized for leading-edge technology in terms of range, efficiency, charging speed, motor design, battery cooling methodology, drivetrain miniaturization / interior packaging. Yet cars are backing up in storage lots.

Lucid has got to find the point at which price, technology, and design converge to spur buyer demand. They haven't yet.

The Gravity will be their next attempt, and it now seems we won't be able to gauge the initial market response to it until early 2025. Personally, I'm loving the MB R-Class vibe the Gravity emanates. But that design approach drowned under the double tsunami waves of gargantuan, high-riding SUVs on the one hand and more compact crossovers and CUV's on the other.

Yesterday my brother told me that a friend of his was hearing good things about Lucid and that it was soon going to introduce an SUV. He commented that he was looking forward to it, as he'd love to have an EV version of his Escalade. Even on this forum, quite a few people have posted that that's the SUV they'd like to see from Lucid. It's not going to happen. For the Gravity to become Lucid's own Cayenne story, a type of buyer is going to have to emerge that hasn't thus far.

Lordy, I hope I'm wrong in this line of thinking. But I'm worried . . . .
Lucid has to convince people the Pure is a better car than the Model S.
I know it is an evolving market, but the table below shows what people are buying quite clearly.
One of these things is not like the others.
An SUV that starts at 100K will still be entering a limited market. To hit Model S numbers Lucid needs to get the Touring to 88K and go head to head. Porsche and Tesla are ubiquitous and very established brands. Driving the Air, everyday I get the "what is that?". "a Lucid" "a What?" People think it is a Chinese car.

2022 full year​
Model S​
Taycan​
BMW 7​
MB S​
Porsche Panamera​
Escalade​
Model y​
Model x​

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 5.42.11 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 5.42.11 PM.png
    43.3 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    Screenshot 2023-08-11 at 5.44.07 PM.png
    73 KB · Views: 65
Lucid has to convince people the Pure is a better car than the Model S.
I know it is an evolving market, but the table below shows what people are buying quite clearly.
One of these things is not like the others.
An SUV that starts at 100K will still be entering a limited market. To hit Model S numbers Lucid needs to get the Touring to 88K and go head to head. Porsche and Tesla are ubiquitous and very established brands. Driving the Air, everyday I get the "what is that?". "a Lucid" "a What?" People think it is a Chinese car.

2022 full year​
Model S​
Taycan​
BMW 7​
MB S​
Porsche Panamera​
Escalade​
Model y​
Model x​
Pretty sure those Model S numbers are wrong. I seem to remember someone else posting that incorrect number and the real number directly from Tesla's investor deck was around 17k

Pretty sure those Model S numbers are wrong. I seem to remember someone else posting that incorrect number and the real number directly from Tesla's investor deck was around 17k
I think you’re right. I did some more digging. I think the right number is 66,705 for s/x sold in 2022. 24,099 x and 42,606 S.

Last edited:
In addition, the 17k is s and x combined. Since SUVS are more popular than sedans, it is reasonable to expect that the s is closer to 5-6k

I think you’re right. I did some more digging. I think the right number is 66,705 for s/x sold in 2022. 24,099 x and 42,606 S.
I saw over 1,000 white Model 3’s at a light this morning.

It was 67k, so probably 40kish for S

Backwards. 2/3 sales for X and 1/3 for S.

S peaked in ~2017 when it crested over 50k units.

Tesla no longer offers right hand drive S/X and there are so many more direct competitors.

Gravity will not really cannibalize Escalade/IQ sales.

Gravity will draw from Cayenne- Audi Q7/8, Q8 Etron BMW iX, Mercedes EQS SUV, Model X more directly, and BMW X7 Mercedes GLS less directly.

Ah, okay.
Interesting on how varying these numbers are for some reason..
Google or AI, you have to pay attention to the source. Since Tesla is grouping x/s the true split Is harder to figure out.

I see that the GT-P has disappeared from the order configurator. However, it's still advertised on the website and is listed among immediately available cars. I assume that means you can no longer order one but can get one from unsold inventory.

Lucid must have decided that it was close enough to the Sapphire in price potentially to cannibalize Sapphire sales?
Looks like the GT-P is available again in the order configurator at a starting price of $149,600. And the 2 on current inventory page say 2 weeks out.

1692233524805.png

What a bargain!
That price excludes all the options unless you find one in inventory.

All the cars in inventory appear to be the least popular combinations. Zenith Red with Mojave... gross.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230816-210426.png
    Screenshot_20230816-210426.png
    999.3 KB · Views: 87
  • Screenshot_20230816-210603.png
    Screenshot_20230816-210603.png
    284.5 KB · Views: 102
I attended a Lucid Dream Ahead Tour today in Menlo Park. I was hoping to test a car with the 21-inch wheel and tire combination as I am considering the GT-P or Sapphire. My concern is ride quality as low profile wheel and tire combinations generally are poorer in that regard. And in the case of the Sapphire, the suspension is rather different than the GTs (and all current Airs for that matter). I was hoping to get a reference so that they could say something to the effect that the Sapphire in Smooth was like the Grand Touring in Swift. They were unable to do that as no one had any experience in the Sapphire. They took my information and told me that someone from engineering would be contacting me.

More interesting was delivery lead-times. I asked if I were to place a deposit today, when could I realistically take delivery of a car. I asked not to be given some off the cuff answer but a realistic timeframe. They got on the phone and spoke with someone. The answer from Newark was that placing a deposit today would net a car in October or November. They are apparently producing them now (or just about to) and there doesn’t seem to be too much of a queue. So getting one before the end of the year is clearly achievable.

Lastly, I was told there is a Sapphire at the Newark location. No confirmation but I had the distinct feeling that if I were to place a deposit and visited the location, something might be arranged?

Anyways I need to see if my family likes the Grand Touring (P or otherwise) before I take any further steps.

Thanks for the great forum and knowledge sharing!

Back