Sapphire in September

The glass roof is not near as safe as a reinforced metal roof on any vehicle, no matter what the "factory" claims. Replacement cost is high and the weight kills milage as does the increase heat that radiates into the cabin.

This is not a "factory" claim. Per "Consumer Reports": "Government crash test results have shown that the effect of a sunroof is insignificant to the overall strength of the roof."

I did quite a bit of reading on this question before I took delivery on the Air. Independent tests showed that a metal roof skin adds virtually no strength to a car roof. It's all about the frame. And Lucid has one of the beefiest roof frames in the industry.

Last edited:
Can't speak for anyone else, but I love having a large executive cruiser that can blow the doors off "sportier" cars.

I already have that with our Air Dream Edition Performance.

I've owned a Corvette, a Mercedes McLaren SLR, an MB SL55 AMG, an Audi S6, and three Audi R8s (V8 coupe, V10 coupe, V10 spyder). The Air is quicker than them all.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I love having a large executive cruiser that can blow the doors off "sportier" cars. I can't imagine tracking the car would be more than a 1 time novelty, if that. I'm sure the car is capable of being tracked, but I can't imagine that's what its really for. For me, the Sapphire is just the latest top of of the line/food chain "brute in a suit" a la AMG's, M's and RS models.
I’m at 10 tracks or more a year. HPDE will definitely happen more than once. I know I’m an outlier. Just another day in paradise.

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1267.jpeg
    IMG_1267.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1266.jpeg
    IMG_1266.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1265.jpeg
    IMG_1265.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 77
  • IMG_1264.jpeg
    IMG_1264.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_1263.jpeg
    IMG_1263.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 70

I've owned a Corvette, a Mercedes McLaren SLR, an MB SL55 AMG, an Audi S6, and three Audi R8s (V8 coupe, V10 coupe, V10 spyder). The Air is quicker than them all.
With a Sapphire you could add Tesla Plaid and Lucid Air DE to that list

With a Sapphire you could add Tesla Plaid and Lucid Air DE to that list

I didn't add our Model S Plaid to the list, because it's a bit quicker than our DE-P. However, it blows the Plaid away on ride, handling, roominess, luxury, and build quality.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I love having a large executive cruiser that can blow the doors off "sportier" cars. I can't imagine tracking the car would be more than a 1 time novelty, if that. I'm sure the car is capable of being tracked, but I can't imagine that's what its really for. For me, the Sapphire is just the latest top of of the line/food chain "brute in a suit" a la AMG's, M's and RS models.
Future Sapphire owner -- please keep us abreast of your entire delivery process. I'm interested to read how Lucid handles the delivery and roll out of this beast.

Seeing all the reviews of the Sapphire and videos, I love the in-house tech that Lucid did.

I've been trying to find videos of people rising Lucid's hard on the track but can't find any lol

I'm curious on how riding the car hard actually looks

. . . I love the in-house tech that Lucid did.

I was amazed to see that Lucid's in-house traction control system cycles at twenty times the speed of systems available from suppliers and that Lucid put the money and effort into developing their own system.

When looking at the Sapphire price, people need to realize how much effort went into putting every aspect of this low-volume car at the bleeding edge of automotive technology.

I was amazed to see that Lucid's in-house traction control system cycles at twenty times the speed of systems available from suppliers and that Lucid put the money and effort into developing their own system.

When looking at the Sapphire price, people need to realize how much effort went into putting every aspect of this low-volume car at the bleeding edge of automotive technology.
I wonder if lucid has plans to bring the in house TC motor to other airs? Then sapphires learnings could be spread across the whole lineup!

I have no doubt. The level of performance the Sapphire is offering is even head and shoulders above the dream. Its going to be so nuts. Cannot wait!

I’m at 10 tracks or more a year. HPDE will definitely happen more than once. I know I’m an outlier. Just another day in paradise.
Ha! That's awesome. Great collection btw. I look forward to hearing your impressions of the Sapphire on the track!

I have no doubt. The level of performance the Sapphire is offering is even head and shoulders above the dream. Its going to be so nuts. Cannot wait!

I agree that the Sapphire will bump certain performance aspects up a significant notch. However, it will come at a price for other performance aspects: range, ride compliance, cabin airiness, more difficult ingress and egress for us snowcaps due to its lower height . . . .

As you move up through the Air model lineup, you pick up more features and performance while giving up nothing (except the deeper rear footwells of the smaller battery pack). To me, the Sapphire reaches the pinnacle of performance and then crests it by beginning to take away some things that make the Air so special.

I'm not saying the Sapphire is not a stupendous car and a performance world-beater. I'm just saying that what you gain with the Sapphire probably cannot really be used on public roads, while some of what you lose can.

If people buy the Sapphire because they love visiting the track and really know how to exploit this car's capabilities safely on and off the track, it's definitely a good choice for them. If people buy it just because it's the most expensive Air or the most powerful Air, I'm not so sure.

I agree that the Sapphire will bump certain performance aspects up a significant notch. However, it will come at a price for other performance aspects: range, ride compliance, cabin airiness, more difficult ingress and egress for us snowcaps due to its lower height . . . .

As you move up through the Air model lineup, you pick up more features and performance while giving up nothing (except the deeper rear footwells of the smaller battery pack). To me, the Sapphire reaches the pinnacle of performance and then crests it by beginning to take away some things that make the Air so special.

I'm not saying the Sapphire is not a stupendous car and a performance world-beater. I'm just saying that what you gain with the Sapphire probably cannot really be used on public roads, while some of what you lose can.

If people buy the Sapphire because they love visiting the track and really know how to exploit this car's capabilities safely on and off the track, it's definitely a good choice for them. If people buy it just because it's the most expensive Air or the most powerful Air, I'm not so sure.
@Veritas51683 What are some of the defining reasons that made you decide to order a Sapphire?

The glass roof is not near as safe as a reinforced metal roof on any vehicle, no matter what the "factory" claims. Replacement cost is high and the weight kills milage as does the increase heat that radiates into the cabin.
Citation needed. Please provide a source as the vast majority of experts and historical data do not agree with you as it regards to safety.

@Veritas51683 What are some of the defining reasons that made you decide to order a Sapphire?
I really just fell in love with the Air after I drove the GT. After being so impressed with the GT and seeing Lucid had a performance oriented version of the Air in development, it seemed like an easy decision. I wanted something that I could comfortably cruise down the thruway with (I drive a lot for work) yet would blow the doors off just about anything I would come across out on the road. I likely won't end up tracking it, but you never know! My brother goes to the NY Safety track and Lime Rock a good bit and he's already bugging me to take the Sapphire out when it arrives

People buy AMG models from Mercedes, 911 turbos, Audi RS models, M models from BMW, Corvette ZO6, I can go on and on....there is a market for these extreme performance variants even though you may not use all the power. Makes one feel special, get bragging rights, proudness in owning the best performance models, gets attention...nothing wrong in wanting that.

There is a market, if I can afford it, I would get the Sapphire in a heartbeat! Unfortunately stuck with the Touring, which is still a magnificent car!

People buy AMG models from Mercedes, 911 turbos, Audi RS models, M models from BMW, Corvette ZO6, I can go on and on....there is a market for these extreme performance variants even though you may not use all the power. Makes one feel special, get bragging rights, proudness in owning the best performance models, gets attention...nothing wrong in wanting that.

There is a market, if I can afford it, I would get the Sapphire in a heartbeat! Unfortunately stuck with the Touring, which is still a magnificent car!

There's absolutely nothing wrong in wanting those things. That's not the point I was making. I was suggesting that people who don't really need the Sapphire's track abilities and will drive it primarily on public roads might find that the loss of some of the range and comfort will not be worth those other things over the long haul.

As someone who has owned cars like Corvettes, AMGs, SLRs, R8s, I can attest that none could produce quite the oomph actually to frighten me when you dive deep into their performance envelope. Thus it was always worth it to me to get such cars over their more pedestrian versions. However, as the Air Dream P already has performance levels I now understand I will almost never fully access, there seems to be a bit less of a point to upgrade to a Sapphire -- other than for the bragging rights you mention.

Don't get me wrong. I completely understand why some people will want a Sapphire for public road use. And, frankly, I hope there are enough of them to make the Sapphire a roaring sales success. Lucid deserves not only press accolades but market support for this car.

Back