hmp10

Founding Member
Verified Owner
Cars
Model S Plaid, Odyssey
DE Number
Referral Code
033M4EXG
I just got an email from Lucid saying the Sapphire will enter production in mid-September. It also pointed out that the Sapphire will now have an aluminum roof. The website configurator shows no glass canopy available. The reason given was, "the design changed to a lightweight aluminum roof to further deliver on the promise of the ultimate performance vehicle."

They must really be working to shave weight, as I think that car with the Mojave interior and its low roof cantrails will be have a somewhat claustrophobic vibe with a metal roof.

I just got an email from Lucid saying the Sapphire will enter production in mid-September. It also pointed out that the Sapphire will now have an aluminum roof. The website configurator shows no glass canopy available. The reason given was, "the design changed to a lightweight aluminum roof to further deliver on the promise of the ultimate performance vehicle."

They must really be working to shave weight, as I think that car with the Mojave interior and its low roof cantrails will be have a somewhat claustrophobic vibe with a metal roof.
I didn't get email on that. Do you have a reservation in for one? I just want some merch, like a Sapphire hat or shirt.

I haven't reserved, but I made some inquiries about switching to a Sapphire when our first Dream Edition was wrecked. As I decided to replace with another Dream Edition -- in part because production/delivery dates were still undetermined at that point -- I didn't go forward. Sales maybe kept my name on a follow-up list?

Finally. In various online sources, I have seen that many people have expressed that they would rather have a solid roof for weight savings. It also fits the sapphires darker tone more.

I was surprised at how not claustrophobic the Pure felt, tbh. They adjusted the lengths of both windshields and somehow managed to make it not feel like you are in a can.

Aww man. I owe my wife a house before I'm allowed to get a Sapphire. The difference between the GT performance and regular is so satisfying.

The glass roof was a serious selling point though. I wonder if they will make it an option, probably not.

I received the same information regarding the metal roof back in early March, but wasn't sure if it was okay for me to share that info back then. I personally prefer the metal roof for the Sapphire for weight saving, lower CG and various other reasons.

I received the same information regarding the metal roof back in early March, but wasn't sure if it was okay for me to share that info back then. I personally prefer the metal roof for the Sapphire for weight saving, lower CG and various other reasons.

I'm just wondering why they don't offer the metal roof as an option, as they do on the Touring. The factory is obviously set up to put either roof on the car. It seems they are moving toward making the Sapphire more exclusively a car for hard-bitten track use and away from making it the max power version for those who still want some of the luxury vibe of the Air.

I'm also wondering how many potential buyers are really considering this car for the purpose of tracking it. I got an uneasy feeling from the email that they are struggling to get orders for the car.

I'm just wondering why they don't offer the metal roof as an option, as they do on the Touring. The factory is obviously set up to put either roof on the car. It seems they are moving toward making the Sapphire more exclusively a car for hard-bitten track use and away from making it the max power version for those who still want some of the luxury vibe of the Air.

I'm also wondering how many potential buyers are really considering this car for the purpose of tracking it. I got an uneasy feeling from the email that they are struggling to get orders for the car.
Of course they are struggling to get orders for the car. It took Lucid way too long to get the Sapphire to market. During this time, Tesla dropped the price for the Plaid and introduced the Track Package. Meanwhile we got nothing from Lucid.

No final weight figure, power figure, range or other performance metrics. Sure, there was that Hagerty video of the prototype racing against the Plaid and Chiron, but that was a prototype. How will the customer cars perform and the consistency of the performance, we don't know.

At double the price of the Plaid, I think most people will have a hard time justifying that price premium. Not to mention that Lucid was in a position where they could run out of cash before the recent 3 Billion injection. The perspective buyer of the Sapphire can pay way less today, enjoy the Plaid right now, and wait to see how the Sapphire turn out.

Frankly, I don't think the PIF is treating Lucid as a car company. I think they are treating Lucid as a lab, like an incubator of EV technology that they have in their war chest, if it is ever needed. The less cars that they build and deliver, the less liability that's out there.

Of course they are struggling to get orders for the car. It took Lucid way too long to get the Sapphire to market. During this time, Tesla dropped the price for the Plaid and introduced the Track Package. Meanwhile we got nothing from Lucid.

No final weight figure, power figure, range or other performance metrics. Sure, there was that Hagerty video of the prototype racing against the Plaid and Chiron, but that was a prototype. How will the customer cars perform and the consistency of the performance, we don't know.

At double the price of the Plaid, I think most people will have a hard time justifying that price premium. Not to mention that Lucid was in a position where they could run out of cash before the recent 3 Billion injection. The perspective buyer of the Sapphire can pay way less today, enjoy the Plaid right now, and wait to see how the Sapphire turn out.

Frankly, I don't think the PIF is treating Lucid as a car company. I think they are treating Lucid as a lab, like an incubator of EV technology that they have in their war chest, if it is ever needed. The less cars that they build and deliver, the less liability that's out there.
Right now the sapphire is(and i hate to say it,) overpriced. It should not be 250k, even if it is as much better than the S as they claim.
Sapphire should be 200k, and I think if they ever bring executive seats to market it should be in a "executive" trim with extensive personalization. THAT should be 250k.(people of that caliber I would assume are willing to pay that much for what is basically an electric bentley)

The PIF does not manage lucid at all, they are just investors, although they do have a say in some things.

The PIF does not manage lucid at all, they are just investors, although they do have a say in some things.
The PIF has a controlling interest in Lucid. They could fire Peter tomorrow if they wanted.

So, you think purchasing 2 Plaids equals purchasing 1 Sapphire?
How will they (2 Plaids) do better in performance/ride quality and such?
The Plaids is good from 0 to 60, that's all.

I wonder if they'll offer both versions?

Comparing the Plaid to Sapphire is just—sad.

There’s no buyer who would be struggling between those to cars. And yes. The Plaid will outsell Sapphire ten to one. That’s not the point.

Sapphire is meant to be a limited edition, super special, proof of concept. It doesn’t matter if they sell 5 or 500 of them. It was never meant to appeal to a giant audience. They will set a production number in the low hundreds and sell every one of them in minutes. That’s the kind of car it is.

It’s there to prove Lucid’s superiority in engineering. And it will do an excellent job of that. It’s not there to boost profits.

The drag race videos on YouTube will script themselves.

The sooner Lucid gets past Sapphire and starts shipping Gravity, the better.

The PIF has a controlling interest in Lucid. They could fire Peter tomorrow if they wanted.
Nope. They're have to go through the Board like any other preferred investor.

Comparing the Plaid to Sapphire is just—sad.

There’s no buyer who would be struggling between those to cars. And yes. The Plaid will outsell Sapphire ten to one. That’s not the point.

Sapphire is meant to be a limited edition, super special, proof of concept. It doesn’t matter if they sell 5 or 500 of them. It was never meant to appeal to a giant audience. They will set a production number in the low hundreds and sell every one of them in minutes. That’s the kind of car it is.

It’s there to prove Lucid’s superiority in engineering. And it will do an excellent job of that. It’s not there to boost profits.

The drag race videos on YouTube will script themselves.

The sooner Lucid gets past Sapphire and starts shipping Gravity, the better.
To add on to this..some people dont give a sh*t about price to performance. All they want is the fastest car in the world, and the sapphire will be EXACTLY that.

Back