Speculation My honest opinion after test driving the car, and some of my thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dream Drive is a work in progress. It's usable now for lanekeeping on fairly straight roads. Definitely a hands-on system, as is Tesla's. Lucid's traffic-aware cruise control function works very well.
If you do choose Tesla, avoid paying anything for "Full Self Driving". IMO it's a marketing scam and will be so for many years. Tesla's Enhanced Autopilot works very well.
Agree 100% on the FSD. Also, personally, I don't think I would enjoy the experience of letting the car drive by itself. It would take a long time for me to trust it.

However, the high quality level 3 experience is very helpful on long drives. That's what I am looking for.

I forgot to say that while Tesla's enhanced autopilot generally works very well, it can be subject to sudden phantom braking at freeway speeds. For this reason my wife didn't like me to use it while she was in the car.

Lucid's Dream Drive has not had this problem in my ten months of experience.

IDK. Interesting review.

I just test drove one yesterday for the second time. Probably deciding between a Lucid or Tesla. Not sure yet.

I don't get the size comments. The Lucid is a huge car. It drove like a mid sized luxury sedan to me. But, the interior space felt like a 7 series. Pretty sure the measurements are too. Maybe he's talking about trunk space? It did look a little small to me to my eye.

I would like to decide soon. For the current owners...How's the Dream Drive doing? I don't really care about FSD, but I would like a solid semi driving experience. I like Tesla Auto pilot and the Mercedes/BMW new hands free experience. I heard Lucid is still behind here and folks are waiting for updates. Any comments?
If you dont care for FSD , get the Lucid. It's a no brainer. Interior is miles ahead of any Tesla. At least you know they didn't build the car cheaply with high margins. Mercedes handles like a boat, very soft ride, poor handling. BMW i7 is HUGE!!! The Germans are less efficient and gett poorer range. Interior space is less for the size of the car.

Tesla has more road noise, squeeks more, poor quality craftmanship, cheap and tacky interior, less buttons, poor blindspot, no 360 camera, no apple car play. Anyway you look at it, Lucid is a much better car. Only downside is charging on long distances. But if you charge 95% at home like most EV owners, I wouldn't compromise on a few better charging experiences for a worse car!

I tried a Pure today. Here are some of my thoughts:

1. This is totally personal preference: the pedal is quite heavy and so is the steering wheel. I drive a small sedan that has medium weight controls. So it caught me my surprise. The vehicle feels unwieldy. I’m not sure if this is what can turn down many people, but I personally am not too sure about getting an Air due to this reason.
2. The software is not as sophisticated. I know it’s just a startup and it’s their first car. But I have tried Audi, Model 3 and S. And I gotta say the software is still years behind. This is not to say that it’s not usable or useful. But it’s just a user experience preference. I’m more accustomed to the tablet like experience.
3. The interior space is definitely smaller than I imagined. The roof is quite slanted and the floor high. the sales rep guy in the shotgun seat must have had his knees quite bent. But i think the footwell helped the rear space.

So it seems you will like the car more if you have strong hands and feet and care less about the ‘tablet like’ software experience as the other cars.

I’m not bashing the car or the company. Just some personal opinion. Lucid certainly has quite the EV technology - 410 miles for the lowest end Air. 1234 HP for sapphire. I’m a fan of the aesthetics and an investor for the potential. If it came out with a mid tier, more spacious and light-weight control car, hopefully with a more sophisticated software experience, I might give it a try.
I prefer the tightness/heaviness of the steering. It reminds me of the BMW M5...this is a luxury saloon and feels like one. You shouldnt cmpare it to a Model 3 or Toyota.

Software if GREATLY improved and maybe not as good as a Tesla, its getting close. Its definetly on par with other legacy automakers if not better.What do you mean by " sophisticated " ? Not having a tablet for every single function is a big plus......Lucid provides an almost perfect balance between buttons and touchscreen! Having a single tablet for all functions is a gimmick and DANGEROUS!

Space is smaller? Car looks smaller for the interior space. Nothing beats the Lucid for packaging. Perhaps you mean you sit lower in the car or maybe you are used to driving SUV's.
" This rear seat has massive space, I can stretchout and sleep" - a comment from a recent rear passenger in my Lucid.

The software is not as sophisticated. I know it’s just a startup and it’s their first car. But I have tried Audi, Model 3 and S. And I gotta say the software is still years behind. This is not to say that it’s not usable or useful. But it’s just a user experience preference. I’m more accustomed to the tablet like experience.
This point made no sense to me. I lived with An Audi e-tron suv.. The entire infotainment screen and menus was just a bunch of settings within settings within settings... It wasn't a tablet like experience at all and felt that there was way too many damn buttons and they made it more complex than what it needed to be.

Also I never could figure out true 1 pedal driving mode. I had to settle for in between which annoyed me.

Isn’t this a lucidowners forum, “not an I tried it and not sure I like it forum”. Go buy a car we are not on this forum to offer persuasion for non owners.

Isn’t this a lucidowners forum, “not an I tried it and not sure I like it forum”. Go buy a car we are not on this forum to offer persuasion for non owners.
No, but we are a forum where owners and reservation holders come to find out information to make an informed decision about the vehicle. We welcome all, except trolls, who will be banned into the netherworld.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back