Sapphire in September

As someone who has owned cars like Corvettes, AMGs, SLRs, R8s, I can attest that none could produce quite the oomph actually to frighten me when you dive deep into their performance envelope. Thus it was always worth it to me to get such cars over their more pedestrian versions. However, as the Air Dream P already has performance levels I now understand I will almost never fully access, there seems to be a bit less of a point to upgrade to a Sapphire -- other than for the bragging rights you mention.
But if you're buying now, there is no Air Dream P, even the GT-P is gone. So if you want the extra performance, you have to get the Sapphire.

I have a Dream Performance and a Sapphire on order. They started taking orders at 9:00 am on a Tuesday but I managed to have my accepted at 8:58 so I should get a early one. I think there will be a difference when street driving with the dual rear motors and the torque vectoring in addition to wider tires ,bigger brakes etc. In one of the articles out today the driver was told to floor it about halfway thru a right turn and it simply went like hell with no sliding. I have a 2021 911 TurboS I will probably be getting rid of.

But if you're buying now, there is no Air Dream P, even the GT-P is gone. So if you want the extra performance, you have to get the Sapphire.
The GT-P is gone?

I see that the GT-P has disappeared from the order configurator. However, it's still advertised on the website and is listed among immediately available cars. I assume that means you can no longer order one but can get one from unsold inventory.

Lucid must have decided that it was close enough to the Sapphire in price potentially to cannibalize Sapphire sales?

You can always snag a used one as well, so at least for the time being, it's an option

You can always snag a used one as well, so at least for the time being, it's an option
Yep, maybe I can upgrade from the Dream P to a used Sapphire in a year 😁

Interesting question: will Lucid accept trade-ins of other Airs for a Sapphire . . . or Gravity?

Before delivering its first vehicle, Rivian made an arrangement with Cox Automotive to administer a trade-in program for buyers who wanted the convenience and sales tax advantage of trading in another car.

I have long hoped that Lucid would institute a similar program, at least for Lucid owners who want to trade for another Lucid. Given the current inventory buildup, though, I'm assuming that hope is gone.

I had thought about this. I don't think there will be many speculators for the Sapphire hoping to make a quick buck on a flip. Those who buy the early Sapphires, I think will hold and the after market will be stronger than for current cars. I'm open to the idea that this is just me rationalizing an early purchase. Those spending 250k on this car, have other cars to drive, and have their reasons to buy a Sapphire. The reasons will vary, but few to none of the buyers will have any need to sell the car.

Interesting question: will Lucid accept trade-ins of other Airs for a Sapphire . . . or Gravity?

Before delivering its first vehicle, Rivian made an arrangement with Cox Automotive to administer a trade-in program for buyers who wanted the convenience and sales tax advantage of trading in another car.

I have long hoped that Lucid would institute a similar program, at least for Lucid owners who want to trade for another Lucid. Given the current inventory buildup, though, I'm assuming that hope is gone.
I have been told by multiple sources at Lucid that a trade-in program will be coming shortly, perhaps as early as sometime in September. If not September certainly by the end of the year.

There's absolutely nothing wrong in wanting those things. That's not the point I was making. I was suggesting that people who don't really need the Sapphire's track abilities and will drive it primarily on public roads might find that the loss of some of the range and comfort will not be worth those other things over the long haul.

As someone who has owned cars like Corvettes, AMGs, SLRs, R8s, I can attest that none could produce quite the oomph actually to frighten me when you dive deep into their performance envelope. Thus it was always worth it to me to get such cars over their more pedestrian versions. However, as the Air Dream P already has performance levels I now understand I will almost never fully access, there seems to be a bit less of a point to upgrade to a Sapphire -- other than for the bragging rights you mention.

Don't get me wrong. I completely understand why some people will want a Sapphire for public road use. And, frankly, I hope there are enough of them to make the Sapphire a roaring sales success. Lucid deserves not only press accolades but market support for this car.
Agree with your points. I think Saphhire is mostly a demonstration model to highlight their technology. I don't think Lucid expect a lot of sales.

I hope I get to see a Sapphire in person. It looks so sexy. I hope someone rich around town has one on order.

Agree with your points. I think Saphhire is mostly a demonstration model to highlight their technology. I don't think Lucid expect a lot of sales.
Having inspirational models has a long history. I’m curious what you think and what the forum thinks is a lot of sales.

Having inspirational models has a long history. I’m curious what you think and what the forum thinks is a lot of sales.
So many examples of this.. think about the BMW M1 or the E30 M3 that almost bankrupted BMW(they literally broke into lamborghinis factory for the cars sake). Now, BMW's reputation is built upon performance, and they sell extremely well. Halo cars are amazing for brands, take the sapphire beating the chiron! There would be many kids watching that and going "damn, now I want a Sapphire poster on my room!"

Even if the sapphire sells almost nothing, it will be a success in terms of brand reputation.

Even if the sapphire sells almost nothing, it will be a success in terms of brand reputation.

I agree that the Sapphire is more a performance technology showpiece than a real sales driver. My question is what will that ultimately mean for Lucid Motors' success?

The whole Lucid Air lineup has already been widely recognized for leading-edge technology in terms of range, efficiency, charging speed, motor design, battery cooling methodology, drivetrain miniaturization / interior packaging. Yet cars are backing up in storage lots.

Lucid has got to find the point at which price, technology, and design converge to spur buyer demand. They haven't yet.

The Gravity will be their next attempt, and it now seems we won't be able to gauge the initial market response to it until early 2025. Personally, I'm loving the MB R-Class vibe the Gravity emanates. But that design approach drowned under the double tsunami waves of gargantuan, high-riding SUVs on the one hand and more compact crossovers and CUV's on the other.

Yesterday my brother told me that a friend of his was hearing good things about Lucid and that it was soon going to introduce an SUV. He commented that he was looking forward to it, as he'd love to have an EV version of his Escalade. Even on this forum, quite a few people have posted that that's the SUV they'd like to see from Lucid. It's not going to happen. For the Gravity to become Lucid's own Cayenne story, a type of buyer is going to have to emerge that hasn't thus far.

Lordy, I hope I'm wrong in this line of thinking. But I'm worried . . . .

I agree that the Sapphire is more a performance technology showpiece than a real sales driver. My question is what will that ultimately mean for Lucid Motors' success?

The whole Lucid Air lineup has already been widely recognized for leading-edge technology in terms of range, efficiency, charging speed, motor design, battery cooling methodology, drivetrain miniaturization / interior packaging. Yet cars are backing up in storage lots.

Lucid has got to find the point at which price, technology, and design converge to spur buyer demand. They haven't yet.

The Gravity will be their next attempt, and it now seems we won't be able to gauge the initial market response to it until early 2025. Personally, I'm loving the MB R-Class vibe the Gravity emanates. But that design approach drowned under the double tsunami waves of gargantuan, high-riding SUVs on the one hand and more compact crossovers and CUV's on the other.

Yesterday my brother told me that a friend of his was hearing good things about Lucid and that it was soon going to introduce an SUV. He commented that he was looking forward to it, as he'd love to have an EV version of his Escalade. Even on this forum, quite a few people have posted that that's the SUV they'd like to see from Lucid. It's not going to happen. For the Gravity to become Lucid's own Cayenne story, a type of buyer is going to have to emerge that hasn't thus far.

Lordy, I hope I'm wrong in this line of thinking. But I'm worried . . . .
Do people like the Escalade because of its outside appearance or the roominess it offers inside? If the latter, I feel Gravity will be fine. That's my hope at least. I have faith interior packaging will help propel Gravity as the SUV of choice.

Do people like the Escalade because of its outside appearance or the roominess it offers inside? If the latter, I feel Gravity will be fine. That's my hope at least. I have faith interior packaging will help propel Gravity as the SUV of choice.

I have confidence that the Gravity will offer prodigious room and interior luxury. But I think driving an Escalade is something of a statement -- big, flashy, dominating. There's a reason it's become associated with drug dealers and rappers as the vehicle of choice for blinging out.

Lucid is all about visual understatement coupled with sporting dynamic performance -- a mold I think the Gravity will follow. The truck-based Escalade is exactly the opposite.

I feel people like the Escalade because it is a status symbol. It was a "baller" suv that was popularized by rap artists in the early 2000s.

Now if maybe Lucid could somehow get the words "Sapphire" into the next big hit.....

I have confidence that the Gravity will offer prodigious room and interior luxury. But I think driving an Escalade is something of a statement -- big, flashy, dominating. There's a reason it's become associated with drug dealers and rappers as the vehicle of choice for blinging out.

Lucid is all about visual understatement coupled with sporting dynamic performance -- a mold I think the Gravity will follow. The truck-based Escalade is exactly the opposite.
I walk away in the middle of typing my reply and you swooped me. You absolutely hit the nail on the head.

Actually I think I remember hearing a song that referenced LUCID already, but I can't seem to remember the name of the song right now.

Back