Ratings of Factory Lucid Tires Versus Other Options

codys21

Verified Owner
Unfortunately, the Pirello PZero AS+ are overall a pretty poorly rated tire. On top of that, they are quite expensive. Looking at the options on Tire Rack, there are 10 results when putting in the Lucid Air with 19" wheels. The PZero AS+ are the 7th ranked out of those 10. They are only rated 7.3 for recommended (the only tire rated worse in this category is the original PZero AS). Across every category (wet, dry, winter/snow, comfort, and treadwear) they rank at or near the bottom. On top of that, they are basically the most expensive out of the 10 options. Obviously, when I get my car, I can buy whatever tires I want, but it's pretty disappointing that such an expensive car is using basically the worst rated/most expensive tire in its category. It would be ideal if I could have my ordered car just come with a superior set of tires right from the factory.

To clarify, I want the 19s for improved range, ride quality, etc.

Unfortunately, the Pirello PZero AS+ are overall a pretty poorly rated tire. On top of that, they are quite expensive. Looking at the options on Tire Rack, there are 10 results when putting in the Lucid Air with 19" wheels. The PZero AS+ are the 7th ranked out of those 10. They are only rated 7.3 for recommended (the only tire rated worse in this category is the original PZero AS). Across every category (wet, dry, winter/snow, comfort, and treadwear) they rank at or near the bottom. On top of that, they are basically the most expensive out of the 10 options. Obviously, when I get my car, I can buy whatever tires I want, but it's pretty disappointing that such an expensive car is using basically the worst rated/most expensive tire in its category. It would be ideal if I could have my ordered car just come with a superior set of tires right from the factory
Get the 20s if you prefer Michelin Pilot Sports.

I know that's an option but I'd prefer to stick with 19s
Yup, that’s what I ordered too for better range. I have the same issue with my BMW i4, not highly rated Pirelli tires came with the 19s. Unfortunately being stuck with the tires a manufacturer offers is not unique to Lucid. You either change the size or live with it until replacement time.

I continuously re-evaluate my decision to get the 20” instead of the 19” on mine. However, the same conclusion is where I always end up. I like the look of the 20” rims and feel the trade off is worth it. My range anxiety ended when I got the Lucid. From there a trade off of 10% was worth it when I look at the overall range and performance of the vehicle.

I know it’s all personal preference, but the difference in 19 to 20 hasn’t been proven high enough to make me regret it. Not to mention the Michelins are rated better so I’m saving in the long run on cost of tire repairs assuming I repair/replace less than the Pirelli’s.

Unfortunately, the Pirello PZero AS+ are overall a pretty poorly rated tire. On top of that, they are quite expensive. Looking at the options on Tire Rack, there are 10 results when putting in the Lucid Air with 19" wheels. The PZero AS+ are the 7th ranked out of those 10. They are only rated 7.3 for recommended (the only tire rated worse in this category is the original PZero AS). Across every category (wet, dry, winter/snow, comfort, and treadwear) they rank at or near the bottom. On top of that, they are basically the most expensive out of the 10 options. Obviously, when I get my car, I can buy whatever tires I want, but it's pretty disappointing that such an expensive car is using basically the worst rated/most expensive tire in its category. It would be ideal if I could have my ordered car just come with a superior set of tires right from the factory.

To clarify, I want the 19s for improved range, ride quality, etc.
Are you looking at the “Elect” version which is what’s on the car? Remember this is a tire adapted to Lucid’s car setup and different from the regular P-Zero AS Plus.

Ratings Charts and Reviews.png

Are you looking at the “Elect” version which is what’s on the car? Remember this is a tire adapted to Lucid’s car setup and different from the regular P-Zero AS Plus.

View attachment 9674
How sure are you that that's the tire that comes with the car? The Lucid configurator just says the AS+ (and does not specify the Elect). If that's for sure the tire, then that's great news, and this post is moot. Though that rating is still based on only 102k miles reported so hopefully it's a big improvement from the regular AS+.

How sure are you that that's the tire that comes with the car? The Lucid configurator just says the AS+ (and does not specify the Elect). If that's for sure the tire, then that's great news, and this post is moot. Though that rating is still based on only 102k miles reported so hopefully it's a big improvement from the regular AS+.
The 19" tire on the car is Lucid-specific and has "LM1" on the sidewall.

100% sure - it has ELECT imprinted on the tire

As noted above the Pirelli tires on the Lucids are all specifically manufactured for the Lucid only.

I continuously re-evaluate my decision to get the 20” instead of the 19” on mine. However, the same conclusion is where I always end up. I like the look of the 20” rims and feel the trade off is worth it. My range anxiety ended when I got the Lucid. From there a trade off of 10% was worth it when I look at the overall range and performance of the vehicle.

I know it’s all personal preference, but the difference in 19 to 20 hasn’t been proven high enough to make me regret it. Not to mention the Michelins are rated better so I’m saving in the long run on cost of tire repairs assuming I repair/replace less than the Pirelli’s.
If I lived anywhere there was never snow I definitely would have gone with the 20s. Best-looking rim Lucid makes. Just not an option here, unfortunately.

I went with the 19s on mine and it might be the only ounce of regret I have thus far with my Lucid. The 20s for sure are the best looking wheel. I talked myself out of it given the low profile and living in NJ with somewhat cold winters and roads that are disastrous. However, I wish I had just gone with it. Although, I'm sure I would be saying the opposite if something happened to my tires while driving the 20s.

I went with the 19s on mine and it might be the only ounce of regret I have thus far with my Lucid. The 20s for sure are the best looking wheel. I talked myself out of it given the low profile and living in NJ with somewhat cold winters and roads that are disastrous. However, I wish I had just gone with it. Although, I'm sure I would be saying the opposite if something happened to my tires while driving the 20s.
I think you made a right decision going 19".
The 20s for sure are the best looking wheel
To me, the best looking wheel is an inflated wheel.

I'm looking into aftermarket tires for 20". It seems that universally reviewers say to use EV specific lines of tires given the high weight and torque an EV has. Moreover, this reviewer says to go with original equipment (OE) tires since they are custom built for the manufacturers spec in mind. Takes out a lot at the guesswork if we follow these instructions.

Back