Any reason the Lucid can't use my old snow tires/wheels?

Ricetomeetyou

Verified Owner
Cars
Lucid AT, Rivian R1S
Referral Code
XXOKDA0I
Hi everyone,

I just today confirmed my order for a Touring model. I live in Minnesota and opted for the all season 19" wheels/tires even though it felt weird taking a cheaper option that is included in the Touring. With the weather we get as well as the potholes we have to deal with in the Midwest, it just didn't make sense to take the 20" wheels.

I currently have a Kia Optima with a dedicated set of 17" snow tires/wheels. What I'm wondering is if there is any reason I can't keep them when I sell the Optima? There is nothing special about the wheels as they use a regular 5 lug pattern. I understand the Lucid is much heavier, with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 6,283lbs. The snow tires I am using are Michelin Ice X3's. They have a 99 load rating which as far as I can understand can carry 1,709lbs per tire. If all 4 tires can carry 6,836lbs, I would be 553lbs under the limit. As long as I am not shuttling around 5 adults, would it be safe to say the tires could work? I also don't ever keep the tires at the max 51PSI so I'm not sure how that plays into things. I love these tires and would hate to have to buy a whole new set.

So basically the two questions are:

1) Can the 17" snow wheels/tires even fit?
2) Are they safe to use on the Lucid with the 99 load rating?

Thanks for any help. I'm excited to join the family!

IMG_20230321_140902.jpg
IMG20230321140800.jpg

I cannot imagine that Lucid would recommend or allow use of tire or wheel sizes different than manufacturer specifications.

Even if the bolt pattern, offset and bore matched Lucid rim dimensions, a 17" rim would likely not clear the brake calipers. They're massive.

Even if the bolt pattern, offset and bore matched Lucid rim dimensions, a 17" rim would likely not clear the brake calipers. They're massive.
Thanks.

I will try to stick with a load rating of 102.

Hi everyone,

I just today confirmed my order for a Touring model. I live in Minnesota and opted for the all season 19" wheels/tires even though it felt weird taking a cheaper option that is included in the Touring. With the weather we get as well as the potholes we have to deal with in the Midwest, it just didn't make sense to take the 20" wheels.

I currently have a Kia Optima with a dedicated set of 17" snow tires/wheels. What I'm wondering is if there is any reason I can't keep them when I sell the Optima? There is nothing special about the wheels as they use a regular 5 lug pattern. I understand the Lucid is much heavier, with a Gross Vehicle Weight of 6,283lbs. The snow tires I am using are Michelin Ice X3's. They have a 99 load rating which as far as I can understand can carry 1,709lbs per tire. If all 4 tires can carry 6,836lbs, I would be 553lbs under the limit. As long as I am not shuttling around 5 adults, would it be safe to say the tires could work? I also don't ever keep the tires at the max 51PSI so I'm not sure how that plays into things. I love these tires and would hate to have to buy a whole new set.

So basically the two questions are:

1) Can the 17" snow wheels/tires even fit?
2) Are they safe to use on the Lucid with the 99 load rating?

Thanks for any help. I'm excited to join the family!

View attachment 10742View attachment 10743
Well, my '04 CTS-V was a unicorn with 6 lug wheels. That being said, there are myriads of factors into getting a wheel to fit correctly. There are so many variations of lug spacing and hub bore and wheel offset and wheel width that I can almost guarantee you the wheels would not fit. And even if you could bolt them into the vehicle, the stance is likely way off. You can always check, but the odds are always highly against you.

Nevermind that the tires also have differences, as brought up here. Load rating, speed rating, tread wear ratings and even weight are also differences.

I would not want to just slap old wheels and tires onto a car as specialized as the Air. I would want wheels as light and strong as possible. Same for the tires. Tire weights can be quite different as well. I'd also want tires with excellent rolling resistance properties. The fact you can lose tens of miles just on a wheel/tire swap on an EV would have me being extremely careful to choose the right ones. Even things like wheel aerodynamics come in to play...

Back