What's your tire wear? (20" wheels)

Pax

Cars
Air Touring
Hi everyone,

Been driving a Touring on the stock 20" wheels for a little over a year now, coming up on around 13k-14k miles. Just wanted to ask what everyone's tire wear, especially for this tire?

I haven't done any tire rotations, nor did the annual 12k year service perform any when I brought it in. I just bought a tire gauge reader, but I think I'm looking at maybe 1/3 of my tread left (based on estimation). One of my wheels hit a pothole and had the whole wheel and tire replaced, and I noticed it's significantly deeper than the other three (the Lucid engineers assured me that the other three are OK as is even with the brand new replacement).

In general, pretty normal driving with about 60/40 city/highway. Some spirited driving here and there, but otherwise normal use. I'm in California where there's been a decent amount of rain as of late, but majority of the time is on fairly dry roads. Lifetime ~3.3 kwh/mile in warm weather, usually 50F+.

Curious to here everyone's experience. I'm thinking of moving off of Pilot Sport EV to Pilot Sport 4S or the Pilot Sport AS4s after these wear out.

Hi Pax,

Because of the asymmetric size of front tires compared to rears, and afaik left to right rotation is not recommended, there is no tire rotation for 20" wheels.

I'm in the same boat as you. About 13K miles, one tire replaced due to a pothole. No one had the Pilot EVs in stock so I settled for a Firehawk Indy 500 as the choices were extremely limited. I think when the time comes, I'll replace all 4 with Costco on sale Michelins, and save the Firehawk as a spare - at least for the front tires!

Hi Pax,

Because of the asymmetric size of front tires compared to rears, and afaik left to right rotation is not recommended, there is no tire rotation for 20" wheels.

I'm in the same boat as you. About 13K miles, one tire replaced due to a pothole. No one had the Pilot EVs in stock so I settled for a Firehawk Indy 500 as the choices were extremely limited. I think when the time comes, I'll replace all 4 with Costco on sale Michelins, and save the Firehawk as a spare - at least for the front tires!
Costco told me yesterday they can't install on the Lucid unless I had coasters, like for the Tesla. I told him that coasters are not needed so long as their lifts can go down low enough for the Lucid's ground clearance. Since he had not worked on a Lucid before, I told him I would just drive over with the owner's manual spec sheet for them to check, since the Costco website does list Lucid.

BTW, I have 19" Perelli A/S going on 27K with plenty of tread left.

Thanks PhotoEye!
The EV haters love to write about how EV owners will be replacing tire like oil changes on ICE vehicles. The article explains its because their extreme weight and torque. You know what weighs as much as an EV - many of the SUV's that Americans love so much. Where are the articles about pollution and tire replacement in SUVs? So much misinformation and much of it intentional and malicious. As long as you are careful and are not into "launching" your car, there is no reason why your tires should not last.

Just an update - measured and all of my tires are in the ~4/32-5/32" depth, save the replaced once which is still near 8/32". Just checked the Michelin Sport EV specs and apparently they ship with 8/32" tread depth. In that case, maybe I can stretch my usage to get 18-20k miles out of them, given that I'm maybe just half over. Didn't realize it was 8/32" as I thought most were 10/32" or 11/32".

Yeaaaah have done my fair bit of launches not gonna lie...

Just an update - measured and all of my tires are in the ~4/32-5/32" depth, save the replaced once which is still near 8/32". Just checked the Michelin Sport EV specs and apparently they ship with 8/32" tread depth. In that case, maybe I can stretch my usage to get 18-20k miles out of them, given that I'm maybe just half over. Didn't realize it was 8/32" as I thought most were 10/32" or 11/32".

Yeaaaah have done my fair bit of launches not gonna lie...
Think of all the oil changes you've saved

Hi Pax,

Would recommend not to cheap out on tires. You may save some money in the short term, but you will pay in efficiency and earlier wear.

Back