Michelin Pilot Sport All Season versus Kumho 20 inch

apatel87

About to take delivery of my Touring in New England. As it is still cold was thinking of switching out to all season set and I know the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 have been discussed but has anyone used the Kumho tires that are also available on Tire Rack with the same weight rating. About 40% cheaper than the Michelins. Anyone have any experience with them especially in the cold?

Attachments

• 3579FE35-D2A1-4027-9F64-83247912652F.png
    3579FE35-D2A1-4027-9F64-83247912652F.png
    516.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 918B2B47-18D5-4316-AC01-B5B02549EF09.png
    918B2B47-18D5-4316-AC01-B5B02549EF09.png
    780.7 KB · Views: 130
The "LM1" tires that Pirelli engineered specifically for the Lucid Air are "HL" load-rated, not "XL". The HL-rated tires that Pirelli and Michelin developed for EVs can handle about 20% more weight than the previous highest passenger load rating of XL.

However, while I know that Lucid is shipping the 21" wheels with HL-rated tires, I'm not sure if the 19" wheels leave the factory with HL or XL tires on them.

This is what a Michelin engineer had to say about load rating:

"What can be a problem for anyone, however, is load rating. A new 'high load' tire standard—abbreviated HL, appropriately—has been developed to help meet the needs of the EV market, especially in regard to the increased weight necessitated by large battery packs. '[New EVs] are tending to be heavier, and some of these electric vehicles now are coming out on a new standard of high load carrying tire,' said Michelin technical product communications and development engineer Steve Calder. 'So one potential mistake is not to notice that and put on a tire that's not rated to carry the load even though dimensionally, it's the same size.'"

Thank you for the message. There are only 2 20 inch wheels that can accommodate the XL rating that I can see: the pilot all seasons and the Kumho as that is rated XL as well. Are you saying that neither of those would work for the lucid? I think many people switched to the Michelins since we need all season tires.

Are you saying that neither of those would work for the lucid?

I'm not saying that, because I don't know. I was just pointing out that tires engineered specifically for the weight of EVs carry the new HL rating, reflecting their ability to handle the greater weight of EVs . . . and that neither of the tires you showed from Tire Rack have that load rating.

However, I'm not sure that Pirelli or Michelin yet makes an HL-rated tire in any diameter other than 21 inches, so it may be that Lucids are shipping with XL-rated tires on the 19- and 20-inch wheels. You might want to check with them, or maybe forum members who know can weigh in.

Since you're getting a Touring, it'll be over a couple of hundred pounds lighter than an Air with the larger battery pack, though (if I'm remembering the module weight correctly).

I'm looking at switching my 21s to 20s with all season tires, so I've been doing a bunch of research. I never looked into the Kumho tires, but I was initially considering the Michelin Pilot Sport tires. However, me concern is that they're 'normal' tires, so they'll likely be louder and the tread life won't last as long, especially when compared to EV tires.

I did a lot of looking into other tires and I've found the following that would likely work:
Pirelli:
Front: https://www.pirelli.com/tires/en-us...-zero-all-season/245_40-r20/99w-xl-elect-pncs (apparently the OEM tires for the Ioniq 6); not sure if they're available yet. My one concern with these tires is that they're 'A' treated for traction and all the other tires are 'AA.'
Rear: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....all=Blackwall&partnum=54YR0P0ASPEXL&tab=Sizes 10 mm narrower than the OEM tires, but still still fit on a 9.5" wheel.

Michelin:
Front: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....all=Blackwall&partnum=44VR0PTASXLV2&tab=Sizes 'Only' V rated, which is limited to 149 mph. Not a real problem.
Rear: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....&utm_term=michelin_GA1.1.705678639.1678019151 10 mm wider than the OEM tires, but will fit a 9.5" wheel, so not a problem.

Hope this helps!

Front: https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires....all=Blackwall&partnum=44VR0PTASXLV2&tab=Sizes 'Only' V rated, which is limited to 149 mph. Not a real problem.
I have the Primacy AS on my GV60 Performance with 21" tires. If you are planning to use them in lieu of winter tires and then change back, I have no comment (no knowledge). But if you are thinking of using these year round, you will lose some of the benefit of the Lucid Air as they don't perform like a summer performance tire (I am actually looking to replace my tires when they wear down with 4S if they come out with HL rates versions). The Lucid is an extraordinary driver's car; don't let the tires let you down.

Just as an update, I bought the Michelin Pilot all season 4 tires from tire rack and had them shipped to my home. Lucid installed them and balanced them for $260 which seemed expensive but at least had peace of mind.

I have the Kumho tires from Tirerack and had them installed in December when my car was delivered. So far they have been great. They are purposed more for touring rather than sport, so I was happy that the tires provide a supple and quiet ride, while providing good traction for winter driving in Chicago. I had them installed at Discount Tire and my technician stated that the only concern he had for the Kumho tires was their longevity since the 20" summer tires that came with the car were made specifically for Lucid. He wasn't sure how long the tires would last due to Lucid's weight, but he understood that our pickings were slim.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season currently on my Model S. They ride smooth and a bit more quiet than original tires. So far I'm getting pretty treadwear.

I have the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season currently on my Model S. They ride smooth and a bit more quiet than original tires. So far I'm getting pretty treadwear.
What size?

I have the Primacy AS on my GV60 Performance with 21" tires. If you are planning to use them in lieu of winter tires and then change back, I have no comment (no knowledge). But if you are thinking of using these year round, you will lose some of the benefit of the Lucid Air as they don't perform like a summer performance tire (I am actually looking to replace my tires when they wear down with 4S if they come out with HL rates versions). The Lucid is an extraordinary driver's car; don't let the tires let you down.
Yet, Lucid rolls out the 19s on all season tires.

Pilot Sports FTW!!

Been running many variations of Pilot Sports for years on many cars, they have no equal IMO.

Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 are highly review tires. Here is one of the reviews for example:

How’s the performance of the PS all seasons ?

Apparently the Michelin Pilot Sport tires can work well on a Lucid. I believe they are standard on the Sapphire.

Back