Non-EV Tires OK??

+1. These tires have received great reviews and I have been thinking about them as well (either these of 4S summer tires).

I swapped my 20” OEM’s for them and am happy with the AS4’s thus far. The AS4’s are a bit noisier on certain surfaces, but it’s hardly noticeable thus far.

The key is the load rating. That is most important. EV tires have foam inserted inside. I used 2 non EV Pirelli Zero tires for a few weeks after a flat before my local Lucid service center replaced them with OEM Pirellis. I noticed some but minimal difference in noise. The greatest noise difference for you is in the tread design itself.

Tire design is a compromise between wet and dry traction on smooth surfaces, same on rough surfaces, noise, harshness, steering feel, rolling resistance. Typically, EV tires prioritize low rolling resistance. So you can expect a little less range with non-EV tires, as much as 10-15% less for grippy sports wires (Pilot Sport 4/5 Summer) vs EV tires (MXM4-EV).

Well said. All very true but there are many low rolling resistance tires available not just for EV’s. They have less friction hence less grip and usually less noise.

Tire design is a compromise between wet and dry traction on smooth surfaces, same on rough surfaces, noise, harshness, steering feel, rolling resistance. Typically, EV tires prioritize low rolling resistance. So you can expect a little less range with non-EV tires, as much as 10-15% less for grippy sports wires (Pilot Sport 4/5 Summer) vs EV tires (MXM4-EV).

I can deal with the range reduction and a little more noise. What I want is better performance/grip.

Been using 20" Michelin Pilot Sport all season tires for a year now...work great and minimal noise. Great in snow. Buy them from Tire Rack so you get 2 years of road hazard included.

Been using 20" Michelin Pilot Sport all season tires for a year now...work great and minimal noise. Great in snow. Buy them from Tire Rack so you get 2 years of road hazard included.
I bought a set after getting gavram's recommendation and have no regrets. The load ratings are appropriate, virtually no difference in noise and no noticeable change in range. I think they are a great choice.

Pete

I got these from tirerack too in fall and a local shop installed and balanced for me. In my opinion, there is no difference in handling and performance as original summer tires. It works great in snow and cold weather. However as there is no foam inside, I feel "little" road noise. What really bothered me initially was this "subtle" vibration feeling from footwell. Its not that things will shake excessively but just enough where during long drive, you may want to take your foot off from pedal. Over time I got used to it but transition was not easy for me. Other than that, no other complaints. Hope this helps.

Interesting... just had the right front tire replaced due to a large sidewall gash courtesy of an atmospheric river induced pothole. No one had the Pilot Sport EVs in stock and I didn't want to wait until Monday. I asked what they has in stock for a 245/40r20 and the only tire was a Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Specs looked OK so Lucid towed my car to the tire dealer and Voila! - back on the road. I'm wondering what differences I'll note with this new tire. I will say two things though. The Lucid Air handles exceptionally well with a completely flat tire. And the towing company that Lucid sent out was very knowledgeable about Lucids. He reminded me that unless I disabled shock and tilt, I would get warnings about the car being towed!

The Lucid Air handles exceptionally well with a completely flat tire.
I'll second that. If not for the TPMS blaring about 0 PSI in one tire I almost would've thought everything was fine.

I'll second that. If not for the TPMS blaring about 0 PSI in one tire I almost would've thought everything was fine.
Did you get an audio alert? That little red warning really didn't catch my attention. I think for severe tire deflation, it should give an audio alert or the light should flash. You'll laugh but the first thing I noticed was that something sounded funny on the passenger side. Car drove straight and I was tempted to keep driving... but after going over a small bump, I was convinced to pull over and get it towed to avoid rim damage.🙃

Did you get an audio alert? That little red warning really didn't catch my attention. I think for severe tire deflation, it should give an audio alert or the light should flash. You'll laugh but the first thing I noticed was that something sounded funny on the passenger side. Car drove straight and I was tempted to keep driving... but after going over a small bump, I was convinced to pull over and get it towed to avoid rim damage.🙃
The only audio alert I got was the loud crashing sound from the pothole followed by my cursing. The alert didn't grab my attention, I just naturally looked down at the screen to check if everything was OK. I agree, an audio alert would make sense.

Interesting... just had the right front tire replaced due to a large sidewall gash courtesy of an atmospheric river induced pothole. No one had the Pilot Sport EVs in stock and I didn't want to wait until Monday. I asked what they has in stock for a 245/40r20 and the only tire was a Firestone Firehawk Indy 500. Specs looked OK so Lucid towed my car to the tire dealer and Voila! - back on the road. I'm wondering what differences I'll note with this new tire. I will say two things though. The Lucid Air handles exceptionally well with a completely flat tire. And the towing company that Lucid sent out was very knowledgeable about Lucids. He reminded me that unless I disabled shock and tilt, I would get warnings about the car being towed!
These are performance tires and typically are not stocked at local dealers. I have been thinking of asking the dealer when I replace my four tires to give me back the best one of the four so I can have the dealer use it as a temporary spare while it orders in the real tire. Would that work?

That's a good idea. When it comes time to replace the tires, I will do all 4 and keep the Firehawk for just what you suggested.

Back