Range Performance SF to LA

A year ago, I made two round trips from SF south bay to San Diego a couple months apart. Most EA chargers were working fine, and not too crowded. Never had to wait. Sounds like times have changed.

A year ago, I made two round trips from SF south bay to San Diego a couple months apart. Most EA chargers were working fine, and not too crowded. Never had to wait. Sounds like times have changed.
Yes, it has changed A LOT. Especially after iconiq 5 launched and recent oil price surge in the summer. The Air is the only non-tesla electric car that I'm a bit conformable to roadtrip with. Really don't want to given my hard-earned money to Elon given his recent "adventures".

Fingers crossed!

Just got my Zephyr Red GT after selling my 2022 Model S, and I am in love with the Lucid!

Would like some feedback:

I drove from my home in Palo Alto to my work in LA yesterday, a distance of 312 miles. I had been led to believe that that was a reasonable range if I kept the speed on I-5 under 75. I arrived at work with a mere 20 miles left. So, it's uncomfortable in that respect. Is this the experience of others? I noticed:

1. The car was steady at 3.3 m/kw
2. The "miles remaining" indication is inaccurate and poorly calibrated. For every mile I traveled, the range remaining went down by an average of 1.35 miles. (This is one of the only two things that my Tesla did better.)
3. of note, I stopped at the EA at Harris Ranch on my return. There were 8 charging stations. Only 3 were functioning. One of those did not recognize my Lucid. Only two of 8 did, and those worked well. No doubt, EA is a problem. (This is the other thing, at Kettleman, there were over 60 functioning Tesla superchargers that all worked - whenever I tried them.)

Is my range experience typical?
I am only getting 70% rated mileage when I drive from Bay area to LA on highway I5.

Just did the SD-SF round trip and found the EA charging abysmal this time. On the way up, started at 100%. Set the destination to the Panoche shell but hoping to go further as the range was supposed to be 160 miles at that point. Range was actually in the 50’s at that point and stopped. Took 30’’ to get the chargers to work, including a long call to EA for them to finally answer and reboot the machine. after rebooting, it Worked, but instead of a 30’ stop, was over an hour.

The charging in the Bay Area (x3) worked fine.

On the way back, started at ~80%. Was going to stop at Harris ranch, but most chargers were “unavailable” and the one that was working was in use. Same for the Lost Hills and countryside Market. At all three, only one or two chargers were working and the working chargers were in use. Continued traveling to Santa Clarita where I had to charge. There are three EAs there. all were full with half of the chargers “unavailable.“ stopped at the Valencia one as one opened up as we were getting close, but one car got to it before we got there. Had to wait 40’ for one to open. A Kia was charging when I arrived, charged to 100%, the charger shut off and the driver never returned the whole time. How inconsiderate!. Three people arrived after me waiting for charges. I had called EA while I was waiting. All these ‘unavailable’ chargers on the drive were not working because they were scheduled for ‘upgrades.’ This whole experience was just not acceptable.

My efficiency on the trip was 3.7 or about 420 miles on 19” wheels, lower than I usually get on trips.

.... Took 30’’ to get the chargers to work, including a long call to EA for them to finally answer and reboot the machine. after rebooting, it Worked, but instead of a 30’ stop, was over an hour.
...Was going to stop at Harris ranch, but most chargers were “unavailable” and the one that was working was in use. Same for the Lost Hills and countryside Market. At all three, only one or two chargers were working and the working chargers were in use. Continued traveling to Santa Clarita where I had to charge. There are three EAs there. all were full with half of the chargers “unavailable.“ ...’ This whole experience was just not acceptable.
Wow, almost completely unusable. I may plan to rent a gas car for my trip to San Diego. What an embarrassment.

Wow, almost completely unusable. I may plan to rent a gas car for my trip to San Diego. What an embarrassment.
I just made one stop in Solvang and had no issues. I charged one more time in Monterey on the way up just for convenience sake.

🤷‍♂️

I just made one stop in Solvang and had no issues. I charged one more time in Monterey on the way up just for convenience sake.

🤷‍♂️
101 sounds like the way to go for now. It may be a rough couple years ahead for charging our beasts.

My efficiency on the trip was 3.7 or about 420 miles on 19” wheels, lower than I usually get on trips.
dont-drive-angry-stay-calm.gif

Actually the CalTrans free 50kW charger at the southbound Taejon Ranch rest area was the easiest plug and charge I have seen, and it’s free. Only used it for 10’ or so as a rest room stop, but way easier than the EA stations and no one else was there. Downside was that it was only 50kW, but it worked!

I only have 1,000 miles on my gt and I absolutely love the car. I am, however, quite concerned about the range I am getting. I drive between New York City and my vacation house on a weekly basis. The distance one way is 100 miles. This week was the first time I tried the round-trip without charging. I drove 250 miles since my last charge (the extra 50 miles was an extra trip) and almost didn't make it to my house. The car shows only 28 miles of range remaining. Where did the extra 140 odd miles go? This was highway driving at around 73 miles per hour. Does using the heated seats or having the massage seats on use a ton of electricity? If so, I wish there was a notification in the car telling me how much the range will degrade if I use a given feature.

Back