Range Performance SF to LA

Please give location
Paradise indeed!
It's the new Kettleman City location. I used it the other day and will be using it again on Friday, Trying to plan out what SoC to leave SF to arrive at that location with under 10% SoC so I can maximize the charging speed and get in and out quickly.

I drove from Sierra Madre near Pasadena in LA area to Fremont, CA today on I 5 and 99. I checked the EA chargers at Walmart Santa Clarita. Walmart Santa Clarita EA has 5 new stations starting today. All 350KW. Also at Bakersfield.
I used the Walmart Santa Clarita stations yesterday. They worked as advertised.

Just got my Zephyr Red GT after selling my 2022 Model S, and I am in love with the Lucid!

Would like some feedback:

I drove from my home in Palo Alto to my work in LA yesterday, a distance of 312 miles. I had been led to believe that that was a reasonable range if I kept the speed on I-5 under 75. I arrived at work with a mere 20 miles left. So, it's uncomfortable in that respect. Is this the experience of others? I noticed:

1. The car was steady at 3.3 m/kw
2. The "miles remaining" indication is inaccurate and poorly calibrated. For every mile I traveled, the range remaining went down by an average of 1.35 miles. (This is one of the only two things that my Tesla did better.)
3. of note, I stopped at the EA at Harris Ranch on my return. There were 8 charging stations. Only 3 were functioning. One of those did not recognize my Lucid. Only two of 8 did, and those worked well. No doubt, EA is a problem. (This is the other thing, at Kettleman, there were over 60 functioning Tesla superchargers that all worked - whenever I tried them.)

Is my range experience typical?
I am considering the same drive when I get my car, how did it do when you went over the grapevine, going up that long steep grade just before you get to Ventura? I am worried about that part of the drive zapping all my power. I see gas engine cars overheating during that climb, wondering how the battery drain went for you during that segment of your Journey?

I am considering the same drive when I get my car, how did it do when you went over the grapevine, going up that long steep grade just before you get to Ventura? I am worried about that part of the drive zapping all my power. I see gas engine cars overheating during that climb, wondering how the battery drain went for you during that segment of your Journey?
You can always plan that route on A Better Route Planner to find out.

You can always plan that route on A Better Route Planner to find out.
I plan to drive that router every 2 months when I get my Lucid but on my last trip to LA from Fremont, CA I came back on 99, 120, 205 580 and there are so many charging stations on 99. Also, lots of places to stop for food. It added only 27 miles to the driving distance. 99 has mostly 3 lanes and 70mph speed limit which is much different than what I remember from long ago with 2 lanes and 65mph limit.

If you start at roughly 15% SOC you're fine =)

On my last two trips over the grapevine, I evaluated this.

First, the "miles remaining at destination" is simply the difference between the total miles remaining and the distance to the destination. It's simple and linear.

Second, I recorded the "miles remaining at destination" at the start of the slope up the grapevine and recorded the same after the descent was complete.

Third, in my car, at 70MPH and one passenger at 55 degrees, the total miles remaining decline at a rate of 1.27 miles for every actual mile traveled. (I constructed a table with weights, speeds, temperatures, and wind.)

So, the net result is that you will lose 22 of the "miles remaining at destination" when going over the grapevine and measurements confim. So, simply subtract 22 from either miles remaining value to see what your situation will be when you get to the other end. So this agrees with @HariK, generally. I'd say 25 miles of "grapevine tax " is about right.

On my last two trips over the grapevine, I evaluated this.

First, the "miles remaining at destination" is simply the difference between the total miles remaining and the distance to the destination. It's simple and linear.

Second, I recorded the "miles remaining at destination" at the start of the slope up the grapevine and recorded the same after the descent was complete.

Third, in my car, at 70MPH and one passenger at 55 degrees, the total miles remaining decline at a rate of 1.27 miles for every actual mile traveled. (I constructed a table with weights, speeds, temperatures, and wind.)

So, the net result is that you will lose 22 of the "miles remaining at destination" when going over the grapevine and measurements confim. So, simply subtract 22 from either miles remaining value to see what your situation will be when you get to the other end. So this agrees with @HariK, generally. I'd say 25 miles of "grapevine tax " is about right.
I got a few very nice, private comments, so I'd like to clarify a bit for everyone about what I experienced:

a) the rate that the "miles remaining at destination" declines depends on the M/kw and all the other stuff. The rate of 1.27 miles for every actual mile traveled is at a standard 3.5 m/kw on a flat road, 70 mph, at 55 degrees. I would like it, and it would be feasible if Lucid would account for this.
b) I do not know why I get 3.7 going south and 3.4 going north. The wind cannot be that much of a factor and the Lucid is slippery. Air temperature is about the same.
c) I got the best m/kw at 4.6 once when I was in very heavy traffic on the Ventura Highway which kept me at 50-55 mph on a warm evening. I think that's the way to get 500 miles.

Isn't it super cold? See this graph
View attachment 6987
Source / assumptions?

In my experience, it really depends on the drive. Based on my experience, the effect of outside temperature on a long highway drive is pretty small, especially compared to short slow trips with enough time in between trips for heat / cold to soak in.

It’s physics. At highway speeds, HVAC is a small fraction of power consumption. On the other hand, heating / cooling a cold / hot soaked car to normal temperature consumes quite a bit of energy, and is very significant compared to a short, slow drive. Both are real-world conditions, just different use cases.

Just got my Zephyr Red GT after selling my 2022 Model S, and I am in love with the Lucid!

Would like some feedback:

I drove from my home in Palo Alto to my work in LA yesterday, a distance of 312 miles. I had been led to believe that that was a reasonable range if I kept the speed on I-5 under 75. I arrived at work with a mere 20 miles left. So, it's uncomfortable in that respect. Is this the experience of others? I noticed:

1. The car was steady at 3.3 m/kw
2. The "miles remaining" indication is inaccurate and poorly calibrated. For every mile I traveled, the range remaining went down by an average of 1.35 miles. (This is one of the only two things that my Tesla did better.)
3. of note, I stopped at the EA at Harris Ranch on my return. There were 8 charging stations. Only 3 were functioning. One of those did not recognize my Lucid. Only two of 8 did, and those worked well. No doubt, EA is a problem. (This is the other thing, at Kettleman, there were over 60 functioning Tesla superchargers that all worked - whenever I tried them.)

Is my range experience typical?
If I do my math right, you got 74 miles per 100 mile. This is pretty good. I have my GT Air for three months. 70 miles /100 is the best I have gotten so far. This is combine highway and city. They told me that I should be getting up to 450 miles on a full charge 519. That would be great, but it seems dream for now.
I usually mentally calculate 65/100 to be safe. I don’t want run out of battery considering unreliable Electrify America charging stations.
Yesterday, I went to charge my car at Fashion Island at Newport Beach. 4 of the 8 chargers were not working.

I got a few very nice, private comments, so I'd like to clarify a bit for everyone about what I experienced:

a) the rate that the "miles remaining at destination" declines depends on the M/kw and all the other stuff. The rate of 1.27 miles for every actual mile traveled is at a standard 3.5 m/kw on a flat road, 70 mph, at 55 degrees. I would like it, and it would be feasible if Lucid would account for this.
b) I do not know why I get 3.7 going south and 3.4 going north. The wind cannot be that much of a factor and the Lucid is slippery. Air temperature is about the same.
c) I got the best m/kw at 4.6 once when I was in very heavy traffic on the Ventura Highway which kept me at 50-55 mph on a warm evening. I think that's the way to get 500 miles.
It’s a trade off between drive slow and get better mileage or drive your desired speed 80 and get to the destination and have more time with friends and family.

I have been getting low m/kw 2.6-3.1 as well. Some have said it improves after about 2000 miles. I have about 2200 mi on the car and so far it has been the same. I do mostly regular street driving in traffic.
I have 4500 miles, the mileage has improved negligible. They told me I should be able to get 450 on a full charge. That would be dream come true.

I have 4500 miles, the mileage has improved negligible. They told me I should be able to get 450 on a full charge. That would be dream come true.
You certainly can; but not driving 80mph.

Back