Range Performance SF to LA

I did the SF to LA drive and vice versa last weekend.

I knew the "indicated" range would be far less than it said - disappointingly, however, I seemed to only get 2.7-2.9 Mi/kW. Yes, I was driving relatively fast and I'm not faulting Lucid for how they report range - I found my Model S and Model X to be similar, and my Model X would require 3 charging stops if I wanted to get to LA with any semblance of usable range after I arrived.

The "hard product" of the car was great - comfortable, fast, passengers loved it. The software was a nightmare - radio cutting out, GPS completely froze, etc. Am still on 1.2.21.

Ultimately, what led me to say "not doing the drive again" was the Electrify America debacle. The ride down was okay - stopped at Harris Ranch and again at Castaic - but on the ride back, I tried to stop at Lost Hills and there were only 4 chargers and about 7 angry drivers since 1 didn't work and 1 charged at a trickle. So I moved onto Harris Ranch where it was a madhouse -- people arguing over who was where first, an EV saying they needed to get their last 5% to get to 100% (which probably gave them 8 more miles) and said it would take 20 more minutes, etc. I ended up getting just what I needed to go home and then came outside to move my car while sitting down for lunch -- people saw my move, and were marveling at how fast the car charged. I told them it did charge quickly, but I also moved it without going to 100% because I knew there were people waiting, and they seemed stunned at that type of behavior.

Contrasted with the fact that there were 20 available Tesla chargers and what looked like 40 more being built across the street at Harris Ranch, the EA network is going to be an albatross around the neck of Lucid. Without investing in some type of special network is going to really hurt the more moderately-priced Lucid vehicles, as no one in the EA network seems to care about 150kW or 350kW chargers, there's very little community sentiment, and the problem is only going to get worse. I don't envy EA -- working with all sorts of vehicles is much harder than just working with Teslas, for instance, but I would not make that drive in my Lucid again for a year or more in the hopes the network improves. Range anxiety is only obviated if you can actually charge when you need to, and that's not the case with EA.
This is brutal to hear.

I was going to suggest just using something other than Electrify America but I just looked on PlugShare and not a lot of alternatives on that route. Have to hope Chargepoint or EVGo build out their network more. Given the choice, I'd be willing to pay for a 'fill up' and still get to drive the Lucid.

I do think that within 3-5 years, this won't be a concern anymore. With everyone coalescing around the CCS Standard, my assumption is compatible charging stations will multiply exponentially over the next few years. The market demand (plus some hefty government subsidies) will encourage people to jump in.

Rather than massive 30-40 charger stations, I'm seeing 4-6 charger locations pop up in high density areas. Those will all be CCS going forward. It will be like gas stations with lots of options around town.

I can only hope the Wawa/ Sheetz/7-11/ rest areas will keep adding multiple small stations within their footprint along the major highway routes. Certainly I see that around here in the Mid Atlantic area. Multiple Wawa's around here have added a couple of EVGo chargers along the side. Also in various shopping centers.

Tesla has an advantage now. I don't think it will last long.

Make sure your tire pressure is 49 with an independent gauge, temps need to be 70-80F, not too hilly a surface, and don’t be aggressive with on ramp merges if you can avoid it, as any uphill acceleration kills the efficiency hard. I’ve gotten 3.9-4.2 in those scenarios. Here’s a pic of my trip from Providence RI to Boston Logan airport after resetting the trip CPU once I got up to 70mph (I hit some traffic so strong regen helped there).
Thanks for this advice. Gonna implement those suggestions. Alas, I live in CA, and I don't think there is much here that is "not too hilly a surface." I will drive to my place in Lake Tahoe tomorrow. That is almost all uphill, from sea level to 7000 ft. Then later, will drive home and be on regen for much of that. I will report the differences and wish we could overcome thermodynamics.

I did the SF to LA drive and vice versa last weekend.

I knew the "indicated" range would be far less than it said - disappointingly, however, I seemed to only get 2.7-2.9 Mi/kW. Yes, I was driving relatively fast and I'm not faulting Lucid for how they report range - I found my Model S and Model X to be similar, and my Model X would require 3 charging stops if I wanted to get to LA with any semblance of usable range after I arrived.

The "hard product" of the car was great - comfortable, fast, passengers loved it. The software was a nightmare - radio cutting out, GPS completely froze, etc. Am still on 1.2.21.

Ultimately, what led me to say "not doing the drive again" was the Electrify America debacle. The ride down was okay - stopped at Harris Ranch and again at Castaic - but on the ride back, I tried to stop at Lost Hills and there were only 4 chargers and about 7 angry drivers since 1 didn't work and 1 charged at a trickle. So I moved onto Harris Ranch where it was a madhouse -- people arguing over who was where first, an EV saying they needed to get their last 5% to get to 100% (which probably gave them 8 more miles) and said it would take 20 more minutes, etc. I ended up getting just what I needed to go home and then came outside to move my car while sitting down for lunch -- people saw my move, and were marveling at how fast the car charged. I told them it did charge quickly, but I also moved it without going to 100% because I knew there were people waiting, and they seemed stunned at that type of behavior.

Contrasted with the fact that there were 20 available Tesla chargers and what looked like 40 more being built across the street at Harris Ranch, the EA network is going to be an albatross around the neck of Lucid. Without investing in some type of special network is going to really hurt the more moderately-priced Lucid vehicles, as no one in the EA network seems to care about 150kW or 350kW chargers, there's very little community sentiment, and the problem is only going to get worse. I don't envy EA -- working with all sorts of vehicles is much harder than just working with Teslas, for instance, but I would not make that drive in my Lucid again for a year or more in the hopes the network improves. Range anxiety is only obviated if you can actually charge when you need to, and that's not the case with EA.
This EA experience sounds awful. And seems to me that EA is the only - alas important - weak link in the Lucid experience. I have found that timing my trip so that I arrive at an EA installation in the morning is helpful. At Lost Hills, only two chargers worked reflecting your experience, but only one was occupied at 9 AM so I go in seamlessly. One time at Harris Ranch, I got there at 8 AM and also got in easily. I sorely wish things were otherwise.

...I will drive to my place in Lake Tahoe tomorrow. That is almost all uphill, from sea level to 7000 ft.
Budget an extra couple hours to try to get a charge at EA if you're going to the south shore. Or plan to charge elsewhere. I had a very difficult time there a couple weeks ago.

Budget an extra couple hours to try to get a charge at EA if you're going to the south shore. Or plan to charge elsewhere. I had a very difficult time there a couple weeks ago.
Thanks for the alert...going north shore. Hope its better there. I can charge with a 240v at our place.

The problem with variability of chargers is that it’s variable. While driving a family, it’s really hard to say “this trip will take 6 hours … but may take 8 hours if the chargers are full or aren’t working.” With my Teslas, I’ve never been worried about the drive to Tahoe or LA. Luckily our Lucids have so much range that you can likely make the next stop but without a 3x increase in (working) chargers it’s risky to take a road trip in the Lucid unless you are really not time constrained and don’t mind sitting in your car staring at other drivers to make sure they don’t take your spot when you’re next in line.

i'll be doing the same trip (and back to SF from Vegas) in a few weeks. any tips on where to stop for a charge? i have been planning to stop at Harris Inn Steak hosue. Also, planning to charge at the new vegas EA station (supposedly has the upgraded hardware).

The problem with variability of chargers is that it’s variable. While driving a family, it’s really hard to say “this trip will take 6 hours … but may take 8 hours if the chargers are full or aren’t working.”
Couldn't agree more. Especially when traveling with young children, it can get really painful really fast.

I got the agt mainly for the SF to LA trip. I was hoping to avoid having to charge midway precisely because of this uncertainty. But based on the trip reports so far, the realistic range still isn't quite there yet.

i'll be doing the same trip (and back to SF from Vegas) in a few weeks. any tips on where to stop for a charge? i have been planning to stop at Harris Inn Steak hosue. Also, planning to charge at the new vegas EA station (supposedly has the upgraded hardware).
Check recent comments on Plugshare for any info on how well the charging stations you're considering are working with the Air. Also check charger status on the EA phone app.

Thanks for this advice. Gonna implement those suggestions. Alas, I live in CA, and I don't think there is much here that is "not too hilly a surface." I will drive to my place in Lake Tahoe tomorrow. That is almost all uphill, from sea level to 7000 ft. Then later, will drive home and be on regen for much of that. I will report the differences and wish we could overcome thermodynamics.
Look forward to learning how your Tahoe trip went. I’d imagine I will do quite a few of them this winter.

Look forward to learning how your Tahoe trip went. I’d imagine I will do quite a few of them this winter.
From the South Bay through hwy 88, I left home at 98% and arrived at the south shore with 35% remaining. A few days later we left the south shore at something like 82% on hwy 50 (great lunch at Allez in Diamond Springs outside Placerville) and arrived home again at 35%.

I found Harris Ranch to be the best of the options, and with the Lucid range that’s enough to get you between SF and LA. The Walmart at Castaic was fine too.

The problem with variability of chargers is that it’s variable. While driving a family, it’s really hard to say “this trip will take 6 hours … but may take 8 hours if the chargers are full or aren’t working.” With my Teslas, I’ve never been worried about the drive to Tahoe or LA. Luckily our Lucids have so much range that you can likely make the next stop but without a 3x increase in (working) chargers it’s risky to take a road trip in the Lucid unless you are really not time constrained and don’t mind sitting in your car staring at other drivers to make sure they don’t take your spot when you’re next in line.
I agree. That is my only worry. I love the Lucid in every way compared to my old Model S. But I worry that there might be a one or two-hour delay waiting for a top-up as I travel to LA as you say, and I cannot be late for my lecture. So, only because of EA, there is a bit of battery anxiety that Lucid's range was supposed to take away that worry. I do not blame Lucid, I reserve that for EA.

From the South Bay through hwy 88, I left home at 98% and arrived at the south shore with 35% remaining. A few days later we left the south shore at something like 82% on hwy 50 (great lunch at Allez in Diamond Springs outside Placerville) and arrived home again at 35%.
Good info. We left PA with 98% and arrived at North Shore with 23%.

Much better than my Model S.

I agree. That is my only worry. I love the Lucid in every way compared to my old Model S. But I worry that there might be a one or two-hour delay waiting for a top-up as I travel to LA as you say, and I cannot be late for my lecture. So, only because of EA, there is a bit of battery anxiety that Lucid's range was supposed to take away that worry. I do not blame Lucid, I reserve that for EA.
Try the EA station at Gilroy, charge to 90%, I think you can make it to UCLA. And stop by any EA station for a bathroom break. If there is a station available, charge it up. Otherwise, drive conservatively.

Try the EA station at Gilroy, charge to 90%, I think you can make it to UCLA. And stop by any EA station for a bathroom break. If there is a station available, charge it up. Otherwise, drive conservatively.
Thanks a lot for this. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks a lot for this. I'll give it a shot.
I've charged at Panoche Shell in Los Banos, Harris Ranch, the shell in Lost Hills, and the Walmart in Valencia.

I think EA has given out too much fee charging to handle their infrastructure. I traveled in January, only 11 months ago. And it was not like this.

Anyone have any recent experiences with EA heading n I-10 E from Phoenix to Austin, TX? Any ones to avoid or target in particular?

Back