Range Performance SF to LA

Regardless of the testing method used, Tesla and Lucid still go farther than their competitors. The different test is approved by EPA so they’re doing nothing wrong.
Really, it's the other manufacturers running the 2 cycle tests that are taking the easy way out. Originally, all manufacturers were supposed to run the 5 cycle test but many protested and the EPA allowed them to use 2 cycle testing with adjustment factors. So those that run the 5 cycle are doing what the EPA's original intent was and the EPA should tell the other manufacturers to run the 5 cycle if they want to sell cars in the USA. It would make it a lot easier for us to directly compare test results since everyone would be running the same test.

Really? Snow already!!! I’m doing LA to SF on Wednesday.

I wish Lucid would add weather on the navigation, specifically wind and somehow use that to determine range more accurately on those circumstances. Not sure if elevation is factored in either at the moment.
Snow was above 4000 ft over the grapevine. Given its intensity and location, it was undoubtedly due to orographic lifting as the northerly winds pushed moist air up the slope.

Exactly! The I5 always seems to have high winds at some point and if you hit a headwind it’s game over on your range. The grapevine is also a huge elevation climb.

I averaged 3.8 on my trip from LA to SF but did get over 4 in some parts.
I have an AGT with 19" wheels and have never seen anything over 3.3. Could you let me know the conditions to get 3.8 or 4? Thanks

I have an AGT with 19" wheels and have never seen anything over 3.3. Could you let me know the conditions to get 3.8 or 4? Thanks
Regen set to high, smooth mode with cruise set to 70mph most the way and that’s on 21’s

Yes! I have been talking to tech and support about this issue for several weeks. I have an AGT with 21" wheels. I'm in FL. Most recent test over a few days showed 114 actual miles driven but lost 204 LUCID miles. While I too love the car, I think we all got sold a bridge about range.
the bridge metaphor cracked me up lol

I did the SF to LA drive and vice versa last weekend.

I knew the "indicated" range would be far less than it said - disappointingly, however, I seemed to only get 2.7-2.9 Mi/kW. Yes, I was driving relatively fast and I'm not faulting Lucid for how they report range - I found my Model S and Model X to be similar, and my Model X would require 3 charging stops if I wanted to get to LA with any semblance of usable range after I arrived.

The "hard product" of the car was great - comfortable, fast, passengers loved it. The software was a nightmare - radio cutting out, GPS completely froze, etc. Am still on 1.2.21.

Ultimately, what led me to say "not doing the drive again" was the Electrify America debacle. The ride down was okay - stopped at Harris Ranch and again at Castaic - but on the ride back, I tried to stop at Lost Hills and there were only 4 chargers and about 7 angry drivers since 1 didn't work and 1 charged at a trickle. So I moved onto Harris Ranch where it was a madhouse -- people arguing over who was where first, an EV saying they needed to get their last 5% to get to 100% (which probably gave them 8 more miles) and said it would take 20 more minutes, etc. I ended up getting just what I needed to go home and then came outside to move my car while sitting down for lunch -- people saw my move, and were marveling at how fast the car charged. I told them it did charge quickly, but I also moved it without going to 100% because I knew there were people waiting, and they seemed stunned at that type of behavior.

Contrasted with the fact that there were 20 available Tesla chargers and what looked like 40 more being built across the street at Harris Ranch, the EA network is going to be an albatross around the neck of Lucid. Without investing in some type of special network is going to really hurt the more moderately-priced Lucid vehicles, as no one in the EA network seems to care about 150kW or 350kW chargers, there's very little community sentiment, and the problem is only going to get worse. I don't envy EA -- working with all sorts of vehicles is much harder than just working with Teslas, for instance, but I would not make that drive in my Lucid again for a year or more in the hopes the network improves. Range anxiety is only obviated if you can actually charge when you need to, and that's not the case with EA.
curious if time of the day affect how busy the charging stations are?

can we find out how many chargers are located at a station and how many are active/inactive/in use etc.?

also, were you the only lucid?

can we find out how many chargers are located at a station and how many are active/inactive/in use etc.?

The EA app will show the number of stations in use or available at each site. The Lucid app will alos show this but I have not convinced myself that the Lucid information is correct.

Wasn't that on 101 or highway 1 perhaps flat less windy and lower speed limit?
The test drive was on Hwy 1/101 to LA and back on Tejon pass. I think the average speed on 1/101 was 60 to 65 and coming back on Tejon pass was a gradual climb.

It was 10 AM, I was the only Lucid. There were 8 physical stations, only two were working, both "in-use." I had to wait for a car to leave before I could charge up.

It was 10 AM, I was the only Lucid. There were 8 physical stations, only two were working, both "in-use." I had to wait for a car to leave before I could charge up.

Regen set to high, smooth mode with cruise set to 70mph most the way and that’s on 21’s
Thanks and hmmm. I have the same settings and speed with 19" wheels, I get around 3.0 - 3.1

The test drive was on Hwy 1/101 to LA and back on Tejon pass. I think the average speed on 1/101 was 60 to 65 and coming back on Tejon pass was a gradual climb.
If 60 mph..that makes more sense. Thanks

Make sure your tire pressure is 49 with an independent gauge, temps need to be 70-80F, not too hilly a surface, and don’t be aggressive with on ramp merges if you can avoid it, as any uphill acceleration kills the efficiency hard. I’ve gotten 3.9-4.2 in those scenarios. Here’s a pic of my trip from Providence RI to Boston Logan airport after resetting the trip CPU once I got up to 70mph (I hit some traffic so strong regen helped there).

Attachments

• ACE7BE30-C739-4DFA-BD24-3B3C51A677DC.jpeg
    ACE7BE30-C739-4DFA-BD24-3B3C51A677DC.jpeg
    724.2 KB · Views: 92
Make sure your tire pressure is 49 with an independent gauge, temps need to be 70-80F, not too hilly a surface, and don’t be aggressive with on ramp merges if you can avoid it, as any uphill acceleration kills the efficiency hard. I’ve gotten 3.9-4.2 in those scenarios. Here’s a pic of my trip from Providence RI to Boston Logan airport after resetting the trip CPU once I got up to 70mph (I hit some traffic so strong regen helped there).
So that 4.5 number is starting at 70mph and then driving/coasting mainly?. Not sure if I understood your post correctly.

And good point about tire pressure. High pressures mean less contact with the road and less resistance and higher range. But you sacrifice braking and handling

So that 4.5 number is starting at 70mph and then driving/coasting mainly?. Not sure if I understood your post correctly.

And good point about tire pressure. High pressures mean less contact with the road and less resistance and higher range. But you sacrifice braking and handling
Range and performance are always a balance act. That's why dream edition has performance and range variance. Personally, I would always sacrifice performance to get more range.

Yeah I was suspicious that highway on-ramps/getting up to highway speed kills efficiency, so I reset the trip computer once I got up to 70mph. I didn’t go 70 the whole way, that is impossible on I95 but most of the drive was over 60mph. As far as tire pressure goes, Lucid recommends 49PSI for the 19” P Zero so I just go with that. I’ve noticed very little handling drawbacks at that PSI, this thing really feels like you have to be driving like a complete asshole to lose control of the vehicle.

We did a PHX to Orange County/LA road trip last week/weekend. Temps were actually pretty perfect (72-85) but did hit a few windy spots along the I-10. I wasn't pushing it but was certainly maintaining a solid 4-5 mph over the posted speed limits. Used Highway Assist most of the way expect for a real twisty part of CA 60. While the " Miles at Destination " was not super accurate, I still was within 10-15% of what the Air predicted as I expected. I was very pleased with 3.7 m/kwh for the entire trip of about 830 miles.

The EA app will show the number of stations in use or available at each site. The Lucid app will alos show this but I have not convinced myself that the Lucid information is correct.
Unfortunately, I have found the Lucid app to be very inaccurate on status of chargers. For EA and others.

It usually has way more chargers in use than reality. At two stations I tried last week, it was saying all chargers in use and when I got there, they were all available.

I’ve found EA app is accurate as well as EVGo app for their chargers.

Unfortunately, I have found the Lucid app to be very inaccurate on status of chargers. For EA and others.

It usually has way more chargers in use than reality. At two stations I tried last week, it was saying all chargers in use and when I got there, they were all available.

I’ve found EA app is accurate as well as EVGo app for their chargers.
EA app certainly seems to report in real time. Definitely a serious lag on the Lucid side. I only use the EA app to check availability.

Back