Range Performance SF to LA

Well, here's a different view- We picked up our Silver AGT 19" in Denver on 10/22, and did our first drive through the mountains to get a feel for the car. At delivery, at 79% SOC, the 'estimated range' was 398 miles. We drove about 230 miles, and had nearly 10,000 ft of climbing (net climb was about 1,000 feet). 40% of the drive was at highway speed ~75-80, and the balance on two lanes at ~65-75. Finished with just under 150 miles of range (don't remember the SOC). So yes- an unusual drive, with many complicating factors (elevation gain/loss, slower speeds, some astonishing accelerations) but still managed to come very close to the 'estimated' range that had been originally projected.
As GEWC mentioned above, there's a learning curve on the driver side too, so perhaps that will come into play. But do learn to use the heavy regen- I think it makes a huge difference.

I find the largest factor driving up and down the 5 is how windy it is that day. Also the Grapevine and the 152 will sap your energy like nobody's business
Exactly! The I5 always seems to have high winds at some point and if you hit a headwind it’s game over on your range. The grapevine is also a huge elevation climb.

I averaged 3.8 on my trip from LA to SF but did get over 4 in some parts.

I did the SF to LA drive and vice versa last weekend.

I knew the "indicated" range would be far less than it said - disappointingly, however, I seemed to only get 2.7-2.9 Mi/kW. Yes, I was driving relatively fast and I'm not faulting Lucid for how they report range - I found my Model S and Model X to be similar, and my Model X would require 3 charging stops if I wanted to get to LA with any semblance of usable range after I arrived.

The "hard product" of the car was great - comfortable, fast, passengers loved it. The software was a nightmare - radio cutting out, GPS completely froze, etc. Am still on 1.2.21.

Ultimately, what led me to say "not doing the drive again" was the Electrify America debacle. The ride down was okay - stopped at Harris Ranch and again at Castaic - but on the ride back, I tried to stop at Lost Hills and there were only 4 chargers and about 7 angry drivers since 1 didn't work and 1 charged at a trickle. So I moved onto Harris Ranch where it was a madhouse -- people arguing over who was where first, an EV saying they needed to get their last 5% to get to 100% (which probably gave them 8 more miles) and said it would take 20 more minutes, etc. I ended up getting just what I needed to go home and then came outside to move my car while sitting down for lunch -- people saw my move, and were marveling at how fast the car charged. I told them it did charge quickly, but I also moved it without going to 100% because I knew there were people waiting, and they seemed stunned at that type of behavior.

Contrasted with the fact that there were 20 available Tesla chargers and what looked like 40 more being built across the street at Harris Ranch, the EA network is going to be an albatross around the neck of Lucid. Without investing in some type of special network is going to really hurt the more moderately-priced Lucid vehicles, as no one in the EA network seems to care about 150kW or 350kW chargers, there's very little community sentiment, and the problem is only going to get worse. I don't envy EA -- working with all sorts of vehicles is much harder than just working with Teslas, for instance, but I would not make that drive in my Lucid again for a year or more in the hopes the network improves. Range anxiety is only obviated if you can actually charge when you need to, and that's not the case with EA.

Nice try but hardly valid. My freeway mileage is only marginally better and while the LUCID does get better range than other EV's, their claims are too far from reality.
How so? The car has been put through the same real world range tests as others and achieved 500+ miles from InsideEV’s and Car & Driver. Kyle Conner seemed to get the worst at 435 which is still better than any other EV on the road.

There’s too many varying factors to just say “EPA is a joke”. Weather, elevation, speed, how heavy footed someone is on the accelerator plays a huge part in range.

It’s annoying to see people constantly calling Lucid out on EPA because they’re not achieving it when it’s been shown that in the real world it is actually achievable.

I am still wondering about the claims of San Diego to SF on a single charge. I have the 19" wheels and still would barely make it to San Luis Obispo with the range I got. Does one need to adhere to the 55 mph "sweet spot" that has been reported here? or was SD to SF on one charge just hyperbole?
We drive from San Jose to Santa Barbara have more than 20% (> 100 miles) left FWIW.

Lucid is not dissappointing me. I love the car - it si superior to any other car I've ever owned - and its range is far better than my Model S. I am just curious about how the differences manifest themselves. So, I am fascinated by the discussion, found it very useful and helpful and glad others shared their experiences and thoughts. This is a great forum.

Have you checked A Better Route Planner to see if its estimates matched your experience? Not sure if you have to pay the $5 "premium" level to tell it you plan to drive 75mph.
That site is very good. Predicts my experience well. I plunked down the 5 pounds for the premium.

3. of note, I stopped at the EA at Harris Ranch on my return. There were 8 charging stations. Only 3 were functioning. One of those did not recognize my Lucid. Only two of 8 did, and those worked well. No doubt, EA is a problem. (This is the other thing, at Kettleman, there were over 60 functioning Tesla superchargers that all worked - whenever I tried them.)
Hmm. This is anxiety inducing and mostly out of Lucid's direct control. What would happen during peak travel season? Are we going to experience multi-hour wait time at charge stations? It's much faster to produce new cars than to expand the charging infrastructure. I suspect road trip charging will get a lot worse before it becomes better.

That makes sense. I looked at it all up and over. You lose a lot more uphill than you get back downhill. The San Diego to SF brag still mystifies me, tho
Wasn't that on 101 or highway 1 perhaps flat less windy and lower speed limit?

EA chargers really have to improve. That is such a huge advantage for Tesla right now. I read so many negative stories about non Tesla chargers. There is something to be said about how Tesla built and invested in the cars and chargers from the ground up.

I also think the EPA needs to come up with a new way of testing any EV. It will be so confusing for majority of population, as it still is for me. There can’t be such drastic ranges from EPA range. There are not in any modern day fuel efficient gas car, especially when freeway driving, where you usually get more range than EPA. At least that is the way my current BMW’s behave and my parents Prius. In fact, I have never owned any gas car (I am into achieving the best gas mileage), where range could be so drastically different from advertised like my refresh Model S.

I know longer get range anxiety, as the Tesla charging network is so reliable and extensive, but moving to a non Telsa, like I plan to with Lucid and using the EA network is worrisome.

One other point, why does it seem that BMW/Mercedes/Porsche EV’s are getting better than EPA range, but other EV makers are not? The whole EPA process is convoluted.

Let me be clear. I love my LUCID, in spite of its software glitches. Moreover, range is less important to me as most of our driving is less than 100 miles/day. That said, there should be a better more accurate calculation, especially after 2,500 miles and the "system" knowing driving habits.

Well, here's a different view- We picked up our Silver AGT 19" in Denver on 10/22, and did our first drive through the mountains to get a feel for the car. At delivery, at 79% SOC, the 'estimated range' was 398 miles. We drove about 230 miles, and had nearly 10,000 ft of climbing (net climb was about 1,000 feet). 40% of the drive was at highway speed ~75-80, and the balance on two lanes at ~65-75. Finished with just under 150 miles of range (don't remember the SOC). So yes- an unusual drive, with many complicating factors (elevation gain/loss, slower speeds, some astonishing accelerations) but still managed to come very close to the 'estimated' range that had been originally projected.
As GEWC mentioned above, there's a learning curve on the driver side too, so perhaps that will come into play. But do learn to use the heavy regen- I think it makes a huge difference.
I'll try the higher regen but only on the highway as around town it's annoying. The fact you have 19" wheels may also contribute more to range than advertised

I'll try the higher regen but only on the highway as around town it's annoying. The fact you have 19" wheels may also contribute more to range than advertised
It’s been well noted that 21” wheels struggle to get close to the EPA numbers. Whether it’s driving around town where moving a 5k lb car takes a lot of energy, or increased rolling resistance as you drive faster, the 19” wheels get much much closer to the real numbers as I achieve. You absolutely should be using high regen settings and driving in smooth mode with light acceleration off the line for maximized range. Limit your manual braking, allowing enough room for the regen brakes to bring you to a stop and drive 65-75 max on highways. If you aren’t concerned about range, let it rip, but there are ways to achieve better numbers then you’re seeing. As I’ve said many times, I’m over 6700 miles with a lifetime average of 4.2 mi/kWh. @GEWC is up there as well, we are on 19” wheels, but I am not upset with Lucids claims on range as it is achievable.

How so? The car has been put through the same real world range tests as others and achieved 500+ miles from InsideEV’s and Car & Driver. Kyle Conner seemed to get the worst at 435 which is still better than any other EV on the road.

There’s too many varying factors to just say “EPA is a joke”. Weather, elevation, speed, how heavy footed someone is on the accelerator plays a huge part in range.

It’s annoying to see people constantly calling Lucid out on EPA because they’re not achieving it when it’s been shown that in the real world it is actually achievable.
Actually, both Lucid and Tesla chose to use the testing method that returned higher numbers. But adjusting for that, Lucid still returns better numbers but the difference does get a little closer.

Around town is where it is the most useful! If it is annoying that just means you haven't learned to use it well. Practice does help. You just need to learn to slowly lift your foot from the accelerator instead of slowly pressing the brake in order to slow down.

Also, the higher range advertised was specifically for 19" wheels. They have always shown that the 21s get less range.

I did the SF to LA drive and vice versa last weekend.

I knew the "indicated" range would be far less than it said - disappointingly, however, I seemed to only get 2.7-2.9 Mi/kW. Yes, I was driving relatively fast and I'm not faulting Lucid for how they report range - I found my Model S and Model X to be similar, and my Model X would require 3 charging stops if I wanted to get to LA with any semblance of usable range after I arrived.

The "hard product" of the car was great - comfortable, fast, passengers loved it. The software was a nightmare - radio cutting out, GPS completely froze, etc. Am still on 1.2.21.

Ultimately, what led me to say "not doing the drive again" was the Electrify America debacle. The ride down was okay - stopped at Harris Ranch and again at Castaic - but on the ride back, I tried to stop at Lost Hills and there were only 4 chargers and about 7 angry drivers since 1 didn't work and 1 charged at a trickle. So I moved onto Harris Ranch where it was a madhouse -- people arguing over who was where first, an EV saying they needed to get their last 5% to get to 100% (which probably gave them 8 more miles) and said it would take 20 more minutes, etc. I ended up getting just what I needed to go home and then came outside to move my car while sitting down for lunch -- people saw my move, and were marveling at how fast the car charged. I told them it did charge quickly, but I also moved it without going to 100% because I knew there were people waiting, and they seemed stunned at that type of behavior.

Contrasted with the fact that there were 20 available Tesla chargers and what looked like 40 more being built across the street at Harris Ranch, the EA network is going to be an albatross around the neck of Lucid. Without investing in some type of special network is going to really hurt the more moderately-priced Lucid vehicles, as no one in the EA network seems to care about 150kW or 350kW chargers, there's very little community sentiment, and the problem is only going to get worse. I don't envy EA -- working with all sorts of vehicles is much harder than just working with Teslas, for instance, but I would not make that drive in my Lucid again for a year or more in the hopes the network improves. Range anxiety is only obviated if you can actually charge when you need to, and that's not the case with EA.
Weekday, weekend for your drive out and back?

Actually, both Lucid and Tesla chose to use the testing method that returned higher numbers. But adjusting for that, Lucid still returns better numbers but the difference does get a little closer.
Regardless of the testing method used, Tesla and Lucid still go farther than their competitors. The different test is approved by EPA so they’re doing nothing wrong.

Today, return trip, LA to Palo Alto. This time the effect of the wind - as hypothesized in some posts above - was confirmed. On the way to LA two days ago, I had 20 miles to spare. This time with a stiff wind on the nose, I'd have been 30 miles short - if I hadn't topped up in Bakersfield.

Drove through snow, too, today on the grapevine.

Today, return trip, LA to Palo Alto. This time the effect of the wind - as hypothesized in some posts above - was confirmed. On the way to LA two days ago, I had 20 miles to spare. This time with a stiff wind on the nose, I'd have been 30 miles short - if I hadn't topped up in Bakersfield.

Drove through snow, too, today on the grapevine.
Really? Snow already!!! I’m doing LA to SF on Wednesday.

I wish Lucid would add weather on the navigation, specifically wind and somehow use that to determine range more accurately on those circumstances. Not sure if elevation is factored in either at the moment.

Back