Preconditioning, When is it Done?

Boomer AZ

Verified Owner
Cars
AGT
OK, silly question. I’ve only charged away from home a few times. When you select Battery Preconditioning, does it ever complete and tell you so? I’ve had it turned on for 30+ minutes prior to charging. Does it turn off when the battery says it’s good, or is it just an on/off switch?

Conjecture—> I think it stays on until you finish charging. Once turned on, it tries to keep the battery in a condition where it can accept the highest charge rate possible.

OK, silly question. I’ve only charged away from home a few times. When you select Battery Preconditioning, does it ever complete and tell you so? I’ve had it turned on for 30+ minutes prior to charging. Does it turn off when the battery says it’s good, or is it just an on/off switch?
It’s an on/off switch.

It’s an on/off switch.
I have heard different answers to this next question. If I select an EA charge station in the Lucid’s Nav program, will it automatically precondition the battery as you get close to the station?

I have heard different answers to this next question. If I select an EA charge station in the Lucid’s Nav program, will it automatically precondition the battery as you get close to the station?
With the current software, Lucid will not automatically pre-condition the battery. Hopefully in the future since this would be nice.

So, at around 50°F (10°C) air temperature, how many minutes before arriving at the charger would you initiate preconditioning?

Doing my first long range drive, Prescott to LA, tomorrow morning. Might be 17°F when I depart. Looking to charge up in Indio (or further down the road).

So, at around 50°F (10°C) air temperature, how many minutes before arriving at the charger would you initiate preconditioning?

Doing my first long range drive, Prescott to LA, tomorrow morning. Might be 17°F when I depart. Looking to charge up in Indio (or further down the road).
20 minutes

I did not understand I needed to do this prior to DC charging. Been mostly charging at the EA near my daughter’s school for the three months owning an AT since it’s free. Is this bad for the battery? Or is just slower?

I did not understand I needed to do this prior to DC charging. Been mostly charging at the EA near my daughter’s school for the three months owning an AT since it’s free. Is this bad for the battery? Or is just slower?
You don’t need to do it. The idea is if the battery is too cold or too hot it will regulate the temperature which makes it charge a little bit faster. Personally, I have never done it. Then again, I live in San Diego where it never gets too cold.

You don’t need to do it. The idea is if the battery is too cold or too hot it will regulate the temperature which makes it charge a little bit faster. Personally, I have never done it. Then again, I live in San Diego where it never gets too cold.
Got it, thanks Bobby. I am curious to see how it improves charge speeds, if at all, since I have similar weather conditions to you (Ventura).

Got it, thanks Bobby. I am curious to see how it improves charge speeds, if at all, since I have similar weather conditions to you (Ventura).
Only on extremely hot/ cold days. Won't notice much of a difference if you are somewhere between 55ish and 85ish.

Back