Preconditioning questions

LucidPez

Verified Owner
Cars
'23 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
QRLDUSC5
Hi all -

I have an EA station that is like a mile away and I know that Lucid recommends either navigating to a DCFC for preconditioning to start or for you to use the manual option to turn it on.

Does Lucid tell you when the battery is fully precondition with a notification?
Can you precondition the car if it is on but idle?
- For example: I go out to turn on my car and hit manual precondition then come back 40 minutes later and head to the EA station 1 mile away. Will I get optimal charging speeds then?

Thanks!

Hi all -

I have an EA station that is like a mile away and I know that Lucid recommends either navigating to a DCFC for preconditioning to start or for you to use the manual option to turn it on.

Does Lucid tell you when the battery is fully precondition with a notification?
Can you precondition the car if it is on but idle?
- For example: I go out to turn on my car and hit manual precondition then come back 40 minutes later and head to the EA station 1 mile away. Will I get optimal charging speeds then?

Thanks!
No and yes you can manually precondition your car, but why would you waste 40 minutes doing that unless it's for a test =)

No and yes you can manually precondition your car, but why would you waste 40 minutes doing that unless it's for a test =)
Gotta get that sweet, sweet charging curve data!

In all seriousness, these are things i feel Lucid could improve. What is my current battery temperature and how long until preconditioning reaches the optimal temperature? Let me start preconditioning using the app! There are times I'd really rather not sit at a charger longer than I have to, and I'd appreciate more tools to help facilitate that.

Gotta get that sweet, sweet charging curve data!

In all seriousness, these are things i feel Lucid could improve. What is my current battery temperature and how long until preconditioning reaches the optimal temperature? Let me start preconditioning using the app! There are times I'd really rather not sit at a charger longer than I have to, and I'd appreciate more tools to help facilitate that.
True, and I agree more options and more data would be helpful

Does it actually precondition though when it’s sitting idle parked?

The reason I’d do that is because sometimes I can see myself forgetting to charge overnight for a trip and would need a DCFC. I live in a community so I can’t use scheduled charging as they are ChargePoint sticks for the community.

I’d be happy to know I can walk outside, turn on the car, set manual preconditioning before a trip then hit an EA station a mile away and charge super fast as opposed to on a cold battery.

The reason I’d do that is because sometimes I can see myself forgetting to charge overnight for a trip and would need a DCFC. I live in a community so I can’t use scheduled charging as they are ChargePoint sticks for the community.

I’d be happy to know I can walk outside, turn on the car, set manual preconditioning before a trip then hit an EA station a mile away and charge super fast as opposed to on a cold battery.
Another thing to consider if you have a cold battery, above 40% there will be minimal difference preconditioned or not since the rate slows down quite a bit

It'll precondition as long as the car is on and running. So if you manually start precondition then don't lock any doors and you'd probably have leave a door open or something.

It'll precondition as long as the car is on and running. So if you manually start precondition then don't lock any doors and you'd probably have leave a door open or something.
Try starting the preconditioning and then setting the 45 minute climate hold. that should keep the care awake and the preconditioning working. I have never tried this but I think it should work.

As @hydbob explained the car will have to be on/awake for preconditioning to be active, but it can certainly be left in park while doing so. I would say that unless you're actively packing up the car or closeby while it's preconditioning it's probably not worth the hassle. The amount of time you'll save versus just hopping in and heading over to the charger will be pretty minimal, especially since you're in a pretty warm climate. Your peak charging speed won't be as high, but the curve doesn't hold at peak speeds long anyways.

Try starting the preconditioning and then setting the 45 minute climate hold. that should keep the care awake and the preconditioning working. I have never tried this but I think it should work.
Interesting idea! Next time I'm low on charge I can try this, unless someone else gets around to it first.

Yeah that was what I was thinking may work. I wonder if the car does keep everything going during that 45 min climate hold as if the car were on or if it is in a fully separate mode to just support climate control.

Yeah that was what I was thinking may work. I wonder if the car does keep everything going during that 45 min climate hold as if the car were on or if it is in a fully separate mode to just support climate control.
The car is definitely on, but music and screens turn off.

One thing I didn't think about is the car will not let you use the climate hold function when the battery is low (<15%), so using this to allow preconditioning to continue probably wouldn't be super helpful, unless the battery is especially cold.

I have noticed little impact from preconditioning unless ambient temp is cold (<35F) or hot (>90F). In particular, preconditioning is very helpful at frigid temps <20F.

Into my second winter with the GT. Charge at home mostly, but there is a bank of EA chargers near so I visit to "practice" charging and the waiting protocols, and observe how other EV owners behave. (I'm retired. This is my new work...I'm not just goofing off.)

Because it's so close, I only have 10 or15 minutes to precondition. Last visit, with temps in the low 30s (F) I finally got the "charging reduced = cold battery" message, and it started at 40 kW. I even swapped to the other charger bank to make sure, and got the same result. This EA 150 charger bank has given me as much as 172 kW rate when SOC is below 20% and battery properly warmed.

One can read about the Lucid, but experiencing it makes it a solid. Preconditioning is your friend.

So I'm wondering...If I drove the 6 miles over there under full throttle, sprinting off each stop sign and traffic light, does that warm the battery ?

Think I'm gonna drive over to the King of Prussia 350 EA chargers and collect more data. The under-construction Lucid service center (due to open fall of 2023) is well-hidden on the far side of the mall, so I'll go check it out and snap more photos. The high today is ~40 F.

I have noticed little impact from preconditioning unless ambient temp is cold (<35F) or hot (>90F). In particular, preconditioning is very helpful at frigid temps <20F.
I tend to agree. Especially here in Southern CA ... the DCFC output has a greater impact on charging times than whether or not the battery was preconditioned. I only precondition if I remember to do so. Or if the car automatically does it when I navigate to a charging station.

Honestly, in Southern Californis, I have difficulty discerning a difference whether I precondition or not. Preconditioning automatically happens 45 minutes prior to arriving at a charging station if chosen as a destination but I don't usually manually activate it.
(I just realized I said the same thing as Terry's 🙃 - I apologize for the duplication )

Don't know how long (time) you drove before hooking up. Maybe your battery was warmer than ambient temp? I have not seen any posts about how much the battery warms just by driving the car. Would be nice to tap into the data the battery sends to the battery control module.

Just got back from the EA 350 charger bank in King of Prussia, PA. I went to the new Lucid service center first, and chatted to the electricians a bit. They expected to be done in two weeks.
PXL_20240219_162105839.jpg

Then I dove to the opposite side of the mall to see what was going on at the EA chargers.

Sunny day with temp. 46 degrees (F). All chargers occupied. One VW waiting. I'm 10 miles from my home charger and 66% SOC.
I say, let the VW-supporting bastards wait.
PXL_20240219_163259538.jpg

Without preconditioning, and 63% SOC, I was pulling 42kW. In a few minutes an Ionic 5 with Virginia tags appeared so I pulled out to let him take my spot. The Ionic 5 was pretty darned beautiful ... I've been thinking about a smaller EV for local use...going to have to check these out. He said he wanted to get a Lucid but couldn't wait: needed a car now. He was talking about the charging speed Lucid has.

EV owners know about the Lucid. It's Joe Public that is clueless about Lucid. King of Prussia is located in the wealthy Philly suburbs close to the "main line" (rich people along the rail line to Philly). Lucid is going to sell a lot of vehicles here once they get their act together. Put one in the mall, they will sell a ton of them. In fact, the black Touring that was parked in front of the Lucid Service center is now gone...not inside the shop either. I wonder if they already moved it to the Mall ????

So I disagree. We don't know what the Lucid software parameters are to limit current (for protection) when the batteries are cold, but I can vouch that it's higher than 46F degrees....a lot higher. With low SOC and preconditioning I get well over 300kW initial at the same chargers, same ambient temps.
So precondition unless it's T-shirt weather.

Here is my efficiency data from the trip home: 5.2 mi./ kWh !!!! 46 (F) degrees ! 19" A/S tires @ 50 psi.
PXL_20240219_181822807.jpg

The Trip B data represents most of my winter driving...temps below freezing ... a few days reached 50(F) highs but mostly cold driving. I do not speed, set the AC for about 5 or 10 mph over when necessary, but I do occasionally use excessive passing power. (I am human)
PXL_20240219_163335957.jpg

EA 350 charger bank at King of Prussia, PA mall. This is typical...nearly always have to wait for a spot. This is at intersection of PA Turnpike, SureKill Distressway (I-76), Rt 422. High end mall ... if you need a $60,000 watch or a $20,000 hand bag and matching shoes, this is your mall.
PXL_20240219_161608854.jpg

TWO WEEKS (yeah, right) Yes that is a bank of Level II Lucid home chargers, same as the one I use (Betty Boop). None of them are activated.

Last edited:
Into my second winter with the GT. Charge at home mostly, but there is a bank of EA chargers near so I visit to "practice" charging and the waiting protocols, and observe how other EV owners behave. (I'm retired. This is my new work...I'm not just goofing off.)

Because it's so close, I only have 10 or15 minutes to precondition. Last visit, with temps in the low 30s (F) I finally got the "charging reduced = cold battery" message, and it started at 40 kW. I even swapped to the other charger bank to make sure, and got the same result. This EA 150 charger bank has given me as much as 172 kW rate when SOC is below 20% and battery properly warmed.

One can read about the Lucid, but experiencing it makes it a solid. Preconditioning is your friend.

So I'm wondering...If I drove the 6 miles over there under full throttle, sprinting off each stop sign and traffic light, does that warm the battery ?

Think I'm gonna drive over to the King of Prussia 350 EA chargers and collect more data. The under-construction Lucid service center (due to open fall of 2023) is well-hidden on the far side of the mall, so I'll go check it out and snap more photos. The high today is ~40 F.
I don’t know this for certain but I don’t think driving aggressively warms the battery. I think the thermal management system warms or cools the battery for battery health. So that is simply a function of time not load on the battery.

It is very hard to do valid tests of preconditioning because EA charger performance is so situation specific.

Back