Charging Performance after 2.1.52 HV Preconditioning improvements

30%, same temps, 235kw. No complaints here.
IMG_2105.jpeg

I wish the car let you know the battery temp and/or if it is done preconditioning. Would help people a ton.
It does let you know when it’s done preconditioning, it takes 45 minutes. It doesn’t let you know the temps though.

One thing I’m a bit unclear about is the accuracy of the peak charging rates as reported by the car. As an example, at a 150kW EA charger my i4 will show a peak charging rate on the cockpit of 155-160, yet when I get the final EA ‘report’ via text & email, it shows a peak rate of only 110-115 depending upon the session. That’s a significant difference.

Now with Lucid, we don‘t get a comprehensive report from EA since we’re not using the EA app as many EVs, including my i4, do. Instead we get a very brief report from Lucid that really doesn’t tell you much, certainly not peak rates as reported by EA. So it makes me wonder if that same disparity between the car’s higher reported value and the charging station’s value doesn’t exist with the Lucid too?

it says that always now.
Would you mind sharing what this mesdahe links to if you're able? If not maybe I'll just go plug into the local EA on my way home today. I'd like to follow Lucid's recommendations as much as possible for my upcoming test.

One thing I’m a bit unclear about is the accuracy of the peak charging rates as reported by the car. As an example, at a 150kW EA charger my i4 will show a peak charging rate on the cockpit of 155-160, yet when I get the final EA ‘report’ via text & email, it shows a peak rate of only 110-115 depending upon the session. That’s a significant difference.

Now with Lucid, we don‘t get a comprehensive report from EA since we’re not using the EA app as many EVs, including my i4, do. Instead we get a very brief report from Lucid that really doesn’t tell you much, certainly not peak rates as reported by EA. So it makes me wonder if that same disparity between the car’s higher reported value and the charging station’s value doesn’t exist with the Lucid too?
Interesting, I’d expect it to be the opposite, with EA showing a higher speed than the car. There was some consternation about this early on when InsideEVs did the first charging test on a dream edition, with people freaking out saying the car’s kW received versus kW delivered on the charger were different, with some trolls accusing Lucid of lying and having a larger battery than advertised to rig the range numbers. The fact is from the machine to the car there are kW lost due to resistance, and the higher speed you charge at the more losses you’re going to see due to increased temps. So usually where the juice starts is higher kW than where it ends up.

Interesting, I’d expect it to be the opposite, with EA showing a higher speed than the car. There was some consternation about this early on when InsideEVs did the first charging test on a dream edition, with people freaking out saying the car’s kW received versus kW delivered on the charger were different, with some trolls accusing Lucid of lying and having a larger battery than advertised to rig the range numbers. The fact is from the machine to the car there are kW lost due to resistance, and the higher speed you charge at the more losses you’re going to see due to increased temps. So usually where the juice starts is higher kW than where it ends up.
Yup, that's what I would expect too, but it's the opposite. I think what I'll do the next time I charge the i4 is to take note of the peak rates on the EA charger's screen itself. If that matches the peak rate that EA reports to me in their summary that's emailed, then I can use that as a gauge the next time I charge the Lucid. Otherwise there's really no way to know what EA is claiming as a 'peak' charge rate since we never get a full report.

I’m confused. If your parents don‘t care much about sports driving, why would any updated tech in the Air change things? It will still be a ‘sports driving’ kind of car. I’m also confused why it took that long to come to that realization.
Let’s put it this way; since we got the EV9 now, we already have one spacious SUV. Therefore, we really do not need ANOTHER one, which will be more inefficient than a sedan. All we would need is just a quick daily driver, and the Air excels at that with the added bonus of being sporty. My dad does care about sport driving, but at this moment both of our cars are outgrowing me with the third row, meaning space was moreso a priority in this purchase, if that makes sense(it probably doesnt because of my wording, sorry). The newer technology would still give the Gravity an edge up for a DD, but if the Air gets the new screens, consider it good as purchased.

Not to hijack this post though… Ill post a thread in more detail on this!

I literally got 263 at 42% SOC in my DE two days ago lol, at the Walmart in Mountain View.
The only curves we have are from a couple years ago on YouTube when the dream first came out. Would you mind posting your curve? Would be interesting to see if there have been improvements

Yup, a Kia EV9 (one of the first 5 imported to north america as i was told) as a stopgap for the Gravity! We just decided that the Air was not suitable for our specific needs considering my parents do not care much about sports driving, and we would greatly value the extra third row space/technology provided by the Gravity! If the Air is updated with all the technology of the Gravity though, we will keep the EV9 and replace our other car with the Air to go back to 1 sedan + 1 suv instead of 2 suvs as we will already have one spacious suv.

I was meaning to post a thread about why we picked the EV9 and the reasons it was more suitable for our needs at this time in addition to a short review, which I will still do. I won't needlessly sh*t on the Lucid though, because I know its an AMAZING car, just not for us right now. I do hope you guys got what I meant!
I have seen the Gravity at the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall Showroom where it has been on display. It is too big for me (I prefer a smaller vehicle) but it is very nice and certainly one of the better looking SUVs out there. Much better looking in person, IMHO, than in the pictures I have seen.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have been on a victory string lately and it will be interesting to see how the Kia performs although it would be comparing a mainstream brand EV to a luxury brand EV. But that comparison can cut two ways: in favor of the GT because of its price and in favor of the Gravity because of its feature set.

Let the games commence.

I have seen the Gravity at the Scottsdale Fashion Square Mall Showroom where it has been on display. It is too big for me (I prefer a smaller vehicle) but it is very nice and certainly one of the better looking SUVs out there. Much better looking in person, IMHO, than in the pictures I have seen.

Hyundai/Kia/Genesis have been on a victory string lately and it will be interesting to see how the Kia performs although it would be comparing a mainstream brand EV to a luxury brand EV. But that comparison can cut two ways: in favor of the GT because of its price and in favor of the Gravity because of its feature set.

Let the games commence.
Let's keep this thread about charging in .52 thanks!

The only curves we have are from a couple years ago on YouTube when the dream first came out. Would you mind posting your curve? Would be interesting to see if there have been improvements
@borski about ~200kw at 40% based on this old chart

Anyway, @Bunnylebowski corrected himself and said he got 260kw at 14% which makes more sense

1707844468258.png

We have trips planned, so there will be plenty of opportunities for repeated tests from low states of charge. I will compile a spreadsheet on the sessions.

The car will be a GT-P though, so it will have a different battery chemistry to than anything other than a DE or Sapphire.

We have trips planned, so there will be plenty of opportunities for repeated tests from low states of charge. I will compile a spreadsheet on the sessions.

The car will be a GT-P though, so it will have a different battery chemistry to than anything other than a DE or Sapphire.
Actually, GTPs have the same 118 kWh pack as the dreams. Therefore, the chemistry will be the same.

Actually, GTPs have the same 118 kWh pack as the dreams. Therefore, the chemistry will be the same.
That's...exactly what he said...

Will still be great to see if there are any improvements! Haven’t seen a GTP/DE graph in quite some time

Back