Charging Performance after 2.1.52 HV Preconditioning improvements

You got a new EV?
Yup, a Kia EV9 (one of the first 5 imported to north america as i was told) as a stopgap for the Gravity! We just decided that the Air was not suitable for our specific needs considering my parents do not care much about sports driving, and we would greatly value the extra third row space/technology provided by the Gravity! If the Air is updated with all the technology of the Gravity though, we will keep the EV9 and replace our other car with the Air to go back to 1 sedan + 1 suv instead of 2 suvs as we will already have one spacious suv.

I was meaning to post a thread about why we picked the EV9 and the reasons it was more suitable for our needs at this time in addition to a short review, which I will still do. I won't needlessly sh*t on the Lucid though, because I know its an AMAZING car, just not for us right now. I do hope you guys got what I meant!

Last edited:
Yup, a Kia EV9 (one of the first 5 imported to north america as i was told) as a stopgap for the Gravity! We just decided that the Air was not suitable for our specific needs considering my parents do not care much about sports driving, and we would greatly value the extra third row space/technology provided by the Gravity! If the Air is updated with all the technology of the Gravity though, we will keep the EV9 and replace our other car with the Air to go back to 1 sedan + 1 suv instead of 2 suvs as we will already have one spacious suv.

I was meaning to post a thread about why we picked the EV9 and the reasons it was more suitable for our needs at this time in addition to a short review, which I will still do. I won't needlessly sh*t on the Lucid though, because I know its an AMAZING car, just not for us right now. I do hope you guys got what I meant!
Well it sure was nice having you here on the forum! All the best.

Well it sure was nice having you here on the forum! All the best.
Who said I wasn’t staying? 😉

Still looking at a Gravity to replace this(potential customer, same status as yesterday technically), my first car will be a Lucid, and I already have a wealth of information to help people, meaning there’s a lot of reasons to stay! I will be less active, though.

I’m confused. If your parents don‘t care much about sports driving, why would any updated tech in the Air change things? It will still be a ‘sports driving’ kind of car. I’m also confused why it took that long to come to that realization.

Who said I wasn’t staying? 😉

Still looking at a Gravity to replace this(potential customer, same status as yesterday technically), my first car will be a Lucid, and I already have a wealth of information to help people, meaning there’s a lot of reasons to stay! I will be less active, though.
Did you find a suitable EV9 forum?

EV9 is amazing. Congrats @xponents! The charging curve may not be as good as the rest of the E-GMP family but it is damn quick still.

Also for this test, preconditioning for 10 minutes wont do much. I've learned that even in my e-tron GT, if I precondition for 15+ minutes and had a OBD reader connected, I could see that I was 5-10 degrees below the supposed 'ideal' temperatures for a Porsche Taycan/Audi e-tron GT and my speeds were locked to 100-120kW. After a few minutes of charging, my battery did heat up and I was able to spike back up but it was brief. Batteries are super finicky and if you dont hit those ideal temps that they want, they just won't get to the crazy speeds. Its like a fine line.

With my Genesis GV60, I would precondition and see the car turn it off after 15-20 minutes (red coil on battery meter disappears) and even when I plugged in at 20%, i would only get 200kW so I think the car just has a set amount of time for preconditioning and kinda figured my battery was fine despite me knowing it can charge faster than that.

There was a long wait for my first (and only) EA charge on my GT (about 40 minutes preconditioning). It started at 266 kW at 10% SoC. By 25% SoC it was charging at 207 kW. By 55% it fell to 138 kW. It continued to drop of course, but got to 80% SoC in 33 minutes with 79 kWh delivered (according to the “pump”).

This was on 12/10/23 in San Jose (so chilly by CA standards, but not cold).

There was a long wait for my first (and only) EA charge on my GT (about 40 minutes preconditioning). It started at 266 kW at 10% SoC. By 25% SoC it was charging at 207 kW. By 55% it fell to 138 kW. It continued to drop of course, but got to 80% SoC in 33 minutes with 79 kWh delivered (according to the “pump”).

This was on 12/10/23 in San Jose (so chilly by CA standards, but not cold).
10-80% in 33 mins with that amount of kWh delivered isnt too shabby.

I'm currently at EA, charging from 25% up to 80%. First time since the update. It's not really any different than before. Should it be?

I'm currently at EA, charging from 25% up to 80%. First time since the update. It's not really any different than before. Should it be?
They do say low SOC improvements, so id expect under 20 is where the improvements are focused.

I missed this. Congratulations on the new car! Do stay on the board.
We let my cousin's son drove my GT when he was visiting last year and he was sure his Dad would buy one. But after his Dad had back surgery, they're now waiting for the Gravity.

Probably not. I didn’t see any low SOC cold weather improvements at least.

I would not consider 50F cold soaked. Did you see the blue area on the battery gauge?
No, but I did get a message that said “learn more on how to get better charging performance”

But anyway, I consistently max out at 120kw on all chargers when I do my usual 10 minute preconditioning from my home/office to nearest EA station. The only time I got more than that was once when I preconditioned for 20 minutes and I got 160kw at 28% SOC. I think the battery must be too cold to take more than that.

No, but I did get a message that said “learn more on how to get better charging performance”

But anyway, I consistently max out at 120kw on all chargers when I do my usual 10 minute preconditioning from my home/office to nearest EA station. The only time I got more than that was once when I preconditioned for 20 minutes and I got 160kw at 28% SOC. I think the battery must be too cold to take more than that.
Doesnt Lucid recommend 30-40 mins?

Did your GT transform into a Taycan? 🤣

You must be mis-remembering your SOC level, I don’t think there’s any condition in which you can do 260kw at 40% in an Air GT. At best the Dream can do 200kw at 40%
I literally got 263 at 42% SOC in my DE two days ago lol, at the Walmart in Mountain View.

Back