New "clicks" on selecting items on the screen

Ybor

Since one of the recent updates, i get an annoying, loud "confirmation click" when i select ANYthing on the either screen. Does anyone know how to disable that feature??

If you find them annoying you can adjust the volume all the way down from the Pilot Panel.

The sound is absurdly annoying and completely unnecessary. Even worse, the sound groups a ton of sounds together under a single setting for ringtone & sounds.

It’s an unintuitive umbrella setting you have to turn down to 0.

Whomever decided to add this truly dropped the ball IMO in every way — but thank god there’s a way to mute it.

The sound is absurdly annoying and completely unnecessary. Even worse, the sound groups a ton of sounds together under a single setting for ringtone & sounds.

Whomever decided to add this truly dropped the ball IMO in every way — but thank god there’s a way to mute it.
I don’t like the new sound compared to the old one, but it is worth noting, there was an old one. They didn’t add a sound. They changed the sound.

The old one was more like a “tick.” Much more subtle.

But yes, separate volume control for phone ringer would be the obvious easy solution. Or just a switch for the interface sounds, like Apple TV has.

Yup. Why this is lumped in with the ringtone is a miss.

I wonder if Lucid added the annoying noise because "touch screens" are so inhuman.
Were Lucid hoping it would "cure" the issue I have with every touch screen = they don't give any feedback that the screen has been touched, or the "switch" has been activated.

I've gotten used to the idea that something about my fingers does not activate touch screens. I can't believe there are others like me and they are OK with repeated "touchings" to get the screens to respond...with increasing "touchings" of intensity and force and duration.

If I could get a car like a Lucid that had analogue gauges and mechanical switches...that would be sweet. I feel that the pinnacle of automotive interface design was the late 50's VW. There wasn't even a fuel gauge...when the engine started sputtering you moved a lever with the toe of your left foot to access the "reserve" fuel, which (during the time of 8mpg American cars) gave you another week. Here's what the dash in the one I drove looked like, only it was the base model with did not include the radio. Notice there is no fuel gauge. This is the absolute peak of automotive design. Does anyone not know how to open the glovebox on this car? Did you ever have to explain how to access the glove box in your Lucid?
1703086892871.jpeg

The Beetle I learned on was the "base" model = it did not include that fancy radio.

My Lucid was taken away for a week because the Mobile Tech could not open the glove box to get to the faulty module that controlled access to the glovebox.

I think that if touch screens functioned as well as mechanical switches you wouldn't need to add a noise.
1703088004461.jpeg

wet dream dash design: the early 60s E=Type Jaguar. note there is nothing important hidden by the steering wheel, and you can see if a switch has been "touched".

Attachments

• 1703087885947.jpeg
    1703087885947.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
I wonder if Lucid added the annoying noise because "touch screens" are so inhuman.
Were Lucid hoping it would "cure" the issue I have with every touch screen = they don't give any feedback that the screen has been touched, or the "switch" has been activated.
There was always a click, and yes, this is precisely why it exists. Same is true for most touchscreens now; phones have haptic feedback to make it feel like you've actuated a switch. Even the new Mac trackpads the last few years? Zero actual travel, no actual clicking. It is a flat piece of glass, that when you apply pressure, 'clicks' via haptic feedback and making the sound.

And, I guarantee you if you tried it, you would be absolutely unable to tell the difference. It is absurdly good. But it then gives you the ability to change the force with which you have to click, and make lots of other adjustments to make your use of it more personalized.

There are benefits to touch-sensitive devices, if done well.

There was always a click, and yes, this is precisely why it exists. Same is true for most touchscreens now; phones have haptic feedback to make it feel like you've actuated a switch. Even the new Mac trackpads the last few years? Zero actual travel, no actual clicking. It is a flat piece of glass, that when you apply pressure, 'clicks' via haptic feedback and making the sound.

And, I guarantee you if you tried it, you would be absolutely unable to tell the difference. It is absurdly good. But it then gives you the ability to change the force with which you have to click, and make lots of other adjustments to make your use of it more personalized.

There are benefits to touch-sensitive devices, if done well.
Apple's haptic Trackpads are a marvel. I had the pleasure of meeting one of the engineers on that project (who we figured out might be a distant cousin of mine) and he was very proud to have been a part of that team. And rightfully so. One of the more underrated advances of the past decade or two.

Your brain really is fooled into thinking the thing is moving.

Apple's haptic Trackpads are a marvel. I had the pleasure of meeting one of the engineers on that project (who we figured out might be a distant cousin of mine) and he was very proud to have been a part of that team. And rightfully so. One of the more underrated advances of the past decade or two.

Your brain really is fooled into thinking the thing is moving.
It's really uncanny. I remember taking it apart because I had to see it for myself. Zero moving parts. Flat piece of glass. And even after seeing it myself, 100% of the time I use it my brain is still fooled into thinking it has travelled. Just insane.

Can we get them to add an option to change that tone to the "chime" we have been discussing in another thread?

It's really uncanny. I remember taking it apart because I had to see it for myself. Zero moving parts. Flat piece of glass. And even after seeing it myself, 100% of the time I use it my brain is still fooled into thinking it has travelled. Just insane.
It feels so ridiculously good that I am convinced Apple is just lying to us, I'd love to see the teardown! It feels EXACTLY like how a real trackpad would, not too weak or strong like most haptics tend to be. I do see it move like half a millimeter though, which I assume is just tolerances.

And you can press it with the same strength at the top, it is way easier to maintain(my windows glass trackpad has the frosting peeling already, which is weird since my mac is used more).. AND you can change the strength it takes to click, which is important for some elderly!

It feels so ridiculously good that I am convinced Apple is just lying to us, I'd love to see the teardown! It feels EXACTLY like how a real trackpad would, not too weak or strong like most haptics tend to be. I do see it move like half a millimeter though, which I assume is just tolerances.

And you can press it with the same strength at the top, it is way easier to maintain(my windows glass trackpad has the frosting peeling already, which is weird since my mac is used more).. AND you can change the strength it takes to click, which is important for some elderly!
The easiest way to see how convincing the effect is is to shut down the laptop or turn off the standalone trackpad if it's a standalone. Then press. Once the power is cut, you can feel the lack of motion instantly.

The easiest way to see how convincing the effect is is to shut down the laptop or turn off the standalone trackpad if it's a standalone. Then press. Once the power is cut, you can feel the lack of motion instantly.
I'm confused why this seems so revolutionary when that's how phones have been working for years now?

But to get back to User Interface sounds: This is one of those areas where there are clearly people who love them and those who hate them. I'm sort of in between. I turn off the sounds on my phone's keyboard, for instance. And all the cutesy sounds on macOS for emptying trash, etc. But I do like leaving them on for Apple TV. And I have mine turned on (but quiet) in the Lucid.

This is an area where a preference for turning them off is the clear solution. No way to make most people happy without the option.

I'm confused why this seems so revolutionary when that's how phones have been working for years now?
Not exactly. Haptic feedback on phones is nice. But this is next level.

And the revolutionary part is that it takes an item with a mechanical switch (which can easily wear out over time and need to be replaced) with a piece of glass with no moving parts. So it'll feel better, last longer, and be far less prone to failure.

But to get back to User Interface sounds: This is one of those areas where there are clearly people who love them and those who hate them. I'm sort of in between. I turn off the sounds on my phone's keyboard, for instance. And all the cutesy sounds on macOS for emptying trash, etc. But I do like leaving them on for Apple TV. And I have mine turned on (but quiet) in the Lucid.

This is an area where a preference for turning them off is the clear solution. No way to make most people happy without the option.
I love Tesla sounds for example, those alarms sound very pleasing. I am with the keep the sound team!
Completely different purpose, as the macs are replacing a mechanical part while phones are just trying to simulate something that doesnt exist(a keyboard for example).

Not the same. it doesn't just vibrate. It literally feels like it travels; I'm not exaggerating. The phone screen doesn't feel like it moves when you tap it. The trackpad moves, except it doesn't.

You have to feel it to understand it, honestly. Drop by an Apple store and try it sometime.

These coils of copper wire form powerful electromagnets that push and pull against the steel bar mounted to the underside of the trackpad surface, causing the entire surface to rapidly and shortly buzz, simulating the sound and feel of a click.

...yes, separate volume control for phone ringer would be the obvious easy solution...
Seems super easy, like adding a "stop time" to scheduled charging!

Back