New "clicks" on selecting items on the screen

I wonder if Lucid added the annoying noise because "touch screens" are so inhuman.
Were Lucid hoping it would "cure" the issue I have with every touch screen = they don't give any feedback that the screen has been touched, or the "switch" has been activated.

I've gotten used to the idea that something about my fingers does not activate touch screens. I can't believe there are others like me and they are OK with repeated "touchings" to get the screens to respond...with increasing "touchings" of intensity and force and duration.

Yes. Human fingers are exquisitely evolved to sense and manipulate objects without dependence on visual input. Why using glass screens that rely primarily on vision to control frequently-used functions in a moving vehicle is viewed as progress is beyond me. Sometimes I think it's a hoax perpetrated on us by designers and manufacturing engineers who don't want to be bothered with human ergonomic concerns.

Yes. Human fingers are exquisitely evolved to sense and manipulate objects without dependence on visual input. Why using glass screens that rely primarily on vision to control frequently-used functions in a moving vehicle is viewed as progress is beyond me. Sometimes I think it's a hoax perpetrated on us by designers and manufacturing engineers who don't want to be bothered with human ergonomic concerns.

Moving parts cost money. And they break. So it's largely about keeping initial costs and ongoing maintenance costs down.

Tangentially, it also gives UX designers a lot more freedom to make changes after the car ships. Which is actually a major positive even for end consumers.

But yeah. It's largely about costs.

Moving parts cost money. And they break. So it's largely about keeping initial costs and ongoing maintenance costs down.

Tangentially, it also gives UX designers a lot more freedom to make changes after the car ships. Which is actually a major positive even for end consumers.

But yeah. It's largely about costs.
Cost cutting is why key fobs are going away, any physical controls are going to move away from doors and closer to center consoles, and most buttons will go digital.

Less cable runs, easier manufacturing, less moving parts, more software flexibility.

Cost cutting is why key fobs are going away, any physical controls are going to move away from doors and closer to center consoles, and most buttons will go digital.

Less cable runs, easier manufacturing, less moving parts, more software flexibility.

My primary objection is to non-tactile controls for features that are often operated while the car is in motion. Of the many things I like better about our Lucid Air than our Model S Plaid, among the top is Lucid's use of manual switches and levers for turn signals, gear selection, air vents, A/C temp and fan speed, and audio volume. I am not arguing that such controls should be mechanical actuators, but rather that the interface into the digital domain be a tactile device instead of a screen icon.

After driving Teslas for over eight years, I still breathe a sigh of relief when I get behind the wheel of our Honda Odyssey and find so many things that fall easily and intuitively to hand.

Lucid still has some misses, such as the need to get to the right screen menu to open the glovebox, but by and large they are returning a recognition of human ergonomics to automotive design. It shows up both in the miracles they pull off with space packaging and in user control interfaces. For both driver and passengers, the Lucid is so much easier a car to be in and operate than the Tesla -- better to operate for front-seat occupants, and better to ride in for all passengers.

My primary objection is to non-tactile controls for features that are often operated while the car is in motion. Of the many things I like better about our Lucid Air than our Model S Plaid, among the top is Lucid's use of manual switches and levers for turn signals, gear selection, air vents, A/C temp and fan speed, and audio volume. I am not arguing that such controls should be mechanical actuators, but rather that the interface into the digital domain be a tactile device instead of a screen icon.

After driving Teslas for over eight years, I still breathe a sigh of relief when I get behind the wheel of our Honda Odyssey and find so many things that fall easily and intuitively to hand.

Lucid still has some misses, such as the need to get to the right screen menu to open the glovebox, but by and large they are returning a recognition of human ergonomics to automotive design. It shows up both in the miracles they pull off with space packaging and in user control interfaces. For both driver and passengers, the Lucid is so much easier a car to be in and operate than the Tesla -- better to operate for front-seat occupants, and better to ride in for all passengers.
I’m not in disagreement, more so reenforcing what’s happening from someone who works for an OEM. — for better or worse.

If you find them annoying you can adjust the volume all the way down from the Pilot Panel.
Where is the volume adjustment on the pilot panel? Looked through the menus and could not find anything that would let me adjust this. I do not have any volume when making selections on either screen. Pure AWD, latest software. Thanks

Where is the volume adjustment on the pilot panel? Looked through the menus and could not find anything that would let me adjust this. I do not have any volume when making selections on either screen. Pure AWD, latest software. Thanks
Settings, Audio, Volume, bottom one, system +ringtone?

Back