• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

NACS Megathread

Please read the first FAQ at www.lucidupdates.com. It addresses this in detail. Or, read this thread from the beginning. Lots of good info.
I did read it, it doesn't say anything about EA 150kw stations being 1000V. Unless i missed it...

"If you find the best EA 150kW charger, you may be able to get a charge of 2.0kWh per minute if you charge between 10% and 80%."

This sentence ^ is confusing to me. It would be great if you can update to make it clear that EA 150kW stations are 1000V and that you may be able to get a charge of up to 170kw/hr. The kw/minute line is also confusing and inconsistent with all the wording that mentions kw/hr (including the station names themselves)

I have a feeling 800V EVs are going to get screwed with this NACS transition. Tesla has installed all of ZERO 800V stations so far, and even with NACS support, we'll only get 50kw charging which is next to worthless. I don't know if Tesla has any incentive to support 800V across their whole network when the only car that supports it is the cybertruck and they will be very for a while. (It can also charge just fine on 400V V3 stations)

I have a feeling 800V EVs are going to get screwed with this NACS transition. Tesla has installed all of ZERO 800V stations so far, and even with NACS support, we'll only get 50kw charging which is next to worthless. I don't know if Tesla has any incentive to support 800V across their whole network when the only car that supports it is the cybertruck and they will be very for a while. (It can also charge just fine on 400V V3 stations)
Yep! Many of us brought this very point up once Ford announced they were signing on.

from a post on Rivian forums:

Ford just released a PR article on their media site discussing adapter eligibility, near the bottom are photos of the adapter and a video demonstrating it being used on a normal supercharger.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ary-tesla-supercharger-adapter-to-eligib.html

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6345936718112

Something that has been asked about before is whether or not this same adapter would be able to work with destination chargers. Well, sorry to say that the Ford one at least, will not, as it lacks the AC pins in the adapter.

IMG_1164.png
IMG_1165.png

Yep. I understand how manufacturers wanted a unified standard, but CCS really got the short end of the stick. Tesla doesn't lift a finger, all cars are built to NACS, and to top it off, few other manufacturer's cars will use Tesla stations due to slow charging. I guess people get peace of mind on road trips but you have to be very desperate to accept 50kW charging....

Yep. I understand how manufacturers wanted a unified standard, but CCS really got the short end of the stick. Tesla doesn't lift a finger, all cars are built to NACS, and to top it off, few other manufacturer's cars will use Tesla stations due to slow charging. I guess people get peace of mind on road trips but you have to be very desperate to accept 50kW charging....
How many other manufacturers will get affected? Any idea? I know Porsche have a 150kw 400V converter. (Macan EV will have 135kw). What about the hyundai/kias? I assume all the 400V EVs like Ford, Mercedes, BMW, will be fine?

I'm slightly more optimistic ... if all the 400V cars **** off to Tesla superchargers, it leaves EA for us with our superior 800V architecture :D

My understanding is that, to qualify for NEVI funding, new stations - NACS or CCS - need to be able to supply 1000V.

from a post on Rivian forums:

Ford just released a PR article on their media site discussing adapter eligibility, near the bottom are photos of the adapter and a video demonstrating it being used on a normal supercharger.

https://media.ford.com/content/ford...ary-tesla-supercharger-adapter-to-eligib.html

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/permalink.html?VideoId=6345936718112

Something that has been asked about before is whether or not this same adapter would be able to work with destination chargers. Well, sorry to say that the Ford one at least, will not, as it lacks the AC pins in the adapter.

LOL i love the Twitter post. "We announced last year that Fords would get an adapter for NACS soon...i am pleased to announce owners will be able to get an adapter soon..." 😂

LOL i love the Twitter post. "We announced last year that Fords would get an adapter for NACS soon...i am pleased to announce owners will be able to get an adapter soon..." 😂
Classic "guys we need the stock to go 2 dollars higher" PR post 🤣

I'm slightly more optimistic ... if all the 400V cars **** off to Tesla superchargers, it leaves EA for us with our superior 800V architecture :D

My understanding is that, to qualify for NEVI funding, new stations - NACS or CCS - need to be able to supply 1000V.

No one is going to f off to superchargers until their free EA expires lol. I also can't wait to see the s**tshow of mache's etc parked in the wrong stall at superchargers lol

No one is going to f off to superchargers until their free EA expires lol. I also can't wait to see the s**tshow of mache's etc parked in the wrong stall at superchargers lol
Rule one of owning an EV: No matter what station you are at, there will always be a clueless silver Mach E trying to figure out how to charge

Rule one of owning an EV: No matter what station you are at, there will always be a clueless silver Mach E trying to figure out how to charge

I'm not even joking when i say, everytime i'm at an EA station, every other person is having trouble figuring out how to charge. Either on the phone with EA or unplugging and replugging a million times. Someone recently had trouble figuring out how to charge and pulled out of the stall to wait for another one...i went and plugged in and it worked immediately 🤦‍♂️

I’ve got 12 mos.

I'm not even joking when i say, everytime i'm at an EA station, every other person is having trouble figuring out how to charge. Either on the phone with EA or unplugging and replugging a million times. Someone recently had trouble figuring out how to charge and pulled out of the stall to wait for another one...i went and plugged in and it worked immediately 🤦‍♂️
Last time I went to the mall, I saw some clueless EQS owner literally not even KNOWING where his charge port was(must've been new, license plates supported that). And when he finally found it, he tried plugging it in upside down LOL

These traditional brands need to step up their EV education..

NEVI 1000V 350kw EA was not helpful for this Rivian driver who found the Federal-unfunded Tesla was faster:

Last time I went to the mall, I saw some clueless EQS owner literally not even KNOWING where his charge port was(must've been new, license plates supported that). And when he finally found it, he tried plugging it in upside down LOL

These traditional brands need to step up their EV education..
if people could step up their EV fast charging education, i bet that alone would improve EA queue times by 50%.

In fairness, I used to see people at gas stations all the time pulling up to the wrong side, because they had no idea which side the gas cap was on.

(As if there weren't a little arrow right there on the gas meter telling you exactly which side it's on.)

The average EV owner intelligence is much more likely to go down than up with mass adoption. Strap in. It's going to be a long ride.

Back