NACS Megathread

Bill55

Verified Owner
Cars
Sapphire - Dream Edition
DE Number
NACS will be the standard in USA.

I think Lucid only harms itself by not moving to NACS as soon as possible.

*mod edit to get the link on the first post*
It's here!

Last edited by a moderator:
NACS will be the standard in USA.

I think Lucid only harms itself by not moving to NACS as soon as possible.
Simple answer: When tesla actually releases its 1000v superchargers. It sucks, I know, just announce NACS for 2026 or something when v4 sc's exist!

As soon as the highest paid automobile CEO wants it to.
What is wrong with you?? First of all, the base salary was very standard, around 500k. The "pay" you are referring to is stock based compensation that was SET IN STONE in 2022(or before). It is based on the PREVIOUS year's stocks and was decided prior.

Dont spout sh*t that is clearly meant to mislead people, and in addition completely unrelated to this topic in any way. All it does is berate a company's ceo for no reason(which by the way, attacks are not allowed under the guidelines).

Simple answer: When tesla actually releases its 1000v superchargers. It sucks, I know, just announce NACS for 2026 or something when v4 sc's exist!
I think that would be a mistake. CCS is going to be viewed as a reason not to buy a Lucid. It would be ok to implement with 2026 models, but announcing the change and shipping cars with an adapter needs to happen now.

I think that would be a mistake. CCS is going to be viewed as a reason not to buy a Lucid. It would be ok to implement with 2026 models, but announcing the change and shipping cars with an adapter needs to happen now.
I totally agree, so do about 65ish percent owners on that NACS vs CCS poll.

Hey, Siri, what's the Osbourne Effect?

Have to option to charge @50kw is better than nothing, but I still suspect the large majority of Lucid's ownerbase will have home charging available.

Hey, Siri, what's the Osbourne Effect?
Fair enough..

Also, I dont get something. Do superchargers not have ccs now? Doesnt this mean that the lucid can STILL use the 1000v charging, just with ccs?(specifically for v4)

Fair enough..

Also, I dont get something. Do superchargers not have ccs now? Doesnt this mean that the lucid can STILL use the 1000v charging, just with ccs?(specifically for v4)
You are correct. Thus rendering the whole NACS thing moot.

But I do think for optics, some sort of eventual switch to NACS would be a good idea. Somwhere down the line, CCS will die out and start looking obsolete.

I just would advise waiting until a) 1000v NACS charging is readily available and b)I was a week away from switching out the port on all new vehicles.

There's no sense in pre-announcing this for Lucid. And they seem to agree with me.

Fair enough..

V3 and v4 superchargers use the CCS protocol to initiate charging. Which is why they can be compatible with an adapter. The V1 and V2 superchargers use something else, CHAdeMO?

You are correct. Thus rendering the whole NACS thing moot.

But I do think for optics, some sort of eventual switch to NACS would be a good idea. Somwhere down the line, CCS will die out and start looking obsolete.

I just would advise waiting until a) 1000v NACS charging is readily available and b)I was a week away from switching out the port on all new vehicles.

There's no sense in pre-announcing this for Lucid. And they seem to agree with me.
Sometime in 2026, immediate announcement to avoid the obsoleteness effect. One additional(and important for first time ev owners) plus of NACS is the weight and size.

V3 and v4 superchargers use the CCS protocol to initiate charging. Which is why they can be compatible with an adapter. The V1 and V2 superchargers use something else, CHAdeMO?
Yes, I was more referring to the fact that new V3 Magic Dock and all v4 superchargers will have INTEGRATED ccs with no need for an adaptor.

Also, didnt all SC's use ccs?

Every car company that has adopted presumably had to work a licensing deal with Tesla to use it. It's proprietary. I wonder if Musk will exact a bigger price from Lucid for Rawlinson's "betrayal"

Every car company that has adopted presumably had to work a licensing deal with Tesla to use it. It's proprietary. I wonder if Musk will exact a bigger price from Lucid for Rawlinson's "betrayal"
Good point and it could be what's holding up an announcement

I thought the point of offering NACS to SAE for certification (as SAE J3400) was that it would no longer be proprietary?

I think it's more that every car company doing a deal with Musk essentially kills his incentive to move the network to v4 (and thus 1000v) faster. Why would he care, once everyone has already announced the switch?

There's Cybertruck, but I get the feeling actual sales of Cybertruck are going to be underwhelming now that Rivian, F150, and many more are coming online.

Better if they had all gotten together and held out until there was a clear timeline for that upgrade. Not that anyone could trust it, given Tesla's history.

Also, I'd want EA's and Chargepoint's, etc. timeline as well.

Personally, I think Lucid is the only company being smart about this. Getting in bed with Musk is a rookie mistake.

I thought the point of offering NACS to SAE for certification (as SAE J3400) was that it would no longer be proprietary?
To use the NACS connector, no one has to pay or do a deal. To use Tesla's Supercharger Network is another story.

Yes, older V1,V2, and older Tesla cars use CHAdeMO software protocols.

Older Tesla cars will need to upgrade their onboard connector to use NACS at a non-Tesla charging station.

Back