Moving on from Lucid

Psymac

Have decided to move on from Lucid, with the delivery of my Touring order probably not until late Q4 or most likely Q1 or Q2 '23. I initially was very excited, and was pleased to have test drove the GTA this past February. So have cancelled my order, or at least tried to, with CS suggesting I call my SA to discuss my deposit further, as they were pretty firm it will be nonrefundable (not completely surprising). Also a partial factor was my CPA's opinion the $7500 IRS rebate would most likely not be allowed.

Also have enjoyed the near luxury features of my Ioniq 5 (in Lucid Blue;)), including 800v charging, unobtrusive A pillar, fantastic ride/build quality, and excellent software. Perhaps I may reconsider when the Gravity is released, although the Ioniq 7 and EV9 may be very compelling, especially at most likely a $60-65K price point vs probably $110K. Have owned many luxury cars, so I think I'm kinda over the $95K and up car market as it seems for EVs a clean sheet build is allowing others to complete with Lucid, Telsa, and Mercedes.

The wait is indeed frustrating and losing the $7500 sucks even more. I too have been starting to doubt.

I wonder though why cancel now if the deposit is nonrefundable anyway? You can cancel later on when it's your turn to confirm the order. Who knows, maybe we'll have a precedent by then that the Air would qualify for the 7500. Though I could understand canceling now and getting it out of your head

The Ioniq 5 is a great car, but it competes with cars like a Kia EV 6. I’m not trying to sound like a snob, but I think you may disappointed in time, especially as Lucid prices rise and new features get rolled out. Any CPA is going to encourage you to go with the Ionic. The GT and Touring are luxury cars and fulfill wants, where the Ionic answers a need. That’s why didn’t tell my CPA until after I took delivery.

The Ioniq 5 is a great car, but it competes with cars like a Kia EV 6. I’m not trying to sound like a snob, but I think you may disappointed in time, especially as Lucid prices rise and new features get rolled out. Any CPA is going to encourage you to go with the Ionic. The GT and Touring are luxury cars and fulfill wants, where the Ionic answers a need. That’s why didn’t tell my CPA until after I took delivery.
Have recently had a '21 GLS450, as well as before Lexus, Land Rover, and BMW. So far the Ioniq seems to fulfill 85% of my luxury expectations at about a 50% price point vs the Lucid Touring. But noobzilla maybe right and I can cancel later, so another test drive might help to decide when actually in production.

Also depending on your reservation time, if you are a very early reserver it's possible to be able to resell it at higher price.

Have decided to move on from Lucid, with the delivery of my Touring order probably not until late Q4 or most likely Q1 or Q2 '23. I initially was very excited, and was pleased to have test drove the GTA this past February. So have cancelled my order, or at least tried to, with CS suggesting I call my SA to discuss my deposit further, as they were pretty firm it will be nonrefundable (not completely surprising). Also a partial factor was my CPA's opinion the $7500 IRS rebate would most likely not be allowed.

Also have enjoyed the near luxury features of my Ioniq 5 (in Lucid Blue;)), including 800v charging, unobtrusive A pillar, fantastic ride/build quality, and excellent software. Perhaps I may reconsider when the Gravity is released, although the Ioniq 7 and EV9 may be very compelling, especially at most likely a $60-65K price point vs probably $110K. Have owned many luxury cars, so I think I'm kinda over the $95K and up car market as it seems for EVs a clean sheet build is allowing others to complete with Lucid, Telsa, and Mercedes.
It will be non refundable. If Lucid were to refund it, it would be evidence for the IRS that the deposit really wasn't final.

it should not be refundable. That was the contract.

it should not be refundable. That was the contract.
Well according to the IRS it’s not a bindable contract so Lucid can refund at its discretion if it really wants to.

Well according to the IRS it’s not a bindable contract so Lucid can refund at its discretion if it really wants to.
Binding or not, any contract can be modified if both parties agree to modify it. It being binding doesn’t change anything from Lucid’s end, other than that they don’t *have* to refund it.

In all seriousness though, I don't blame anyone for canceling their order, you gotta decide what car works best for you. It's the perfect car for me, but it doesn't have to be for everyone. I'm considering a Polestar or Ioniq for my wife whenever she decides she's done with the Subaru, the Lucid is definitely NOT the right car for her.

It will be non refundable. If Lucid were to refund it, it would be evidence for the IRS that the deposit really wasn't final.

Just asking what concern does the IRS have regarding a contract and a deposit tied to said contract?

See my recent posts on where my car died yesterday. Check all the Ioniq boards to see if they have safety issues. Be very diligent. If they have issues be on top of it. Best of luck to you! Try to keep us posted on the general section about other EV's so we can have some info to compare to.

See my recent posts on where my car died yesterday. Check all the Ioniq boards to see if they have safety issues. Be very diligent. If they have issues be on top of it. Best of luck to you! Try to keep us posted on the general section about other EV's so we can have some info to compare to.
Every single car in the history of cars has had a safety issue.

Every single car in the history of cars has had a safety issue.
Yeah. I understand you’re upset @histal but this is a very small subset of folks that have had the issue. For example, not a single car in the Bay Area has.

There will always be some cars with issues. That doesn’t make it such any less when it happens to you, of course, but hopefully their service takes care of you.

Just got ours today and it’s a dream. It’s way better than what I saw on dufus youtube videos. Our delivery happened in our driveway and the Lucid rep stayed with us for 4 hours. Just be patient and wait for your beautiful car. My two cents.

Yes, the deposit is nonrefundable. But is the order transferable? Could you transfer/sell your order to another person waiting for a car?

If this was just the reservation deposit (as I assume it is since have they started confirming Tourings?), it is refundable. It clearly states so on Lucid's website - just go to the "reserve your air" page. Once you have confirmed it is non-refundable.

Back