Moving on from Lucid

Have decided to move on from Lucid, with the delivery of my Touring order probably not until late Q4 or most likely Q1 or Q2 '23. I initially was very excited, and was pleased to have test drove the GTA this past February. So have cancelled my order, or at least tried to, with CS suggesting I call my SA to discuss my deposit further, as they were pretty firm it will be nonrefundable (not completely surprising). Also a partial factor was my CPA's opinion the $7500 IRS rebate would most likely not be allowed.

Also have enjoyed the near luxury features of my Ioniq 5 (in Lucid Blue;)), including 800v charging, unobtrusive A pillar, fantastic ride/build quality, and excellent software. Perhaps I may reconsider when the Gravity is released, although the Ioniq 7 and EV9 may be very compelling, especially at most likely a $60-65K price point vs probably $110K. Have owned many luxury cars, so I think I'm kinda over the $95K and up car market as it seems for EVs a clean sheet build is allowing others to complete with Lucid, Telsa, and Mercedes.
Take delivery and flip it! That's what I plan to do.

Take delivery and flip it! That's what I plan to do.
With GT's quickly catching up to confirmations and used prices falling, you'll likely take a net loss at this point

With GT's quickly catching up to confirmations and used prices falling, you'll likely take a net loss at this point
I don't see how. I have the OG price and the current price I should net $5 easily maybe more. (Pure)
If it looks like I can't make money, Lucid dies and no one wants one, I walk away...I never locked in. I can still cancel.

Also depending on your reservation time, if you are a very early reserver it's possible to be able to resell it at higher price.
Might be an option if I decide to purchase, as I do have a reservation locked in at the previous price. Again, with more electric vehicles coming online in the next few months, the Lucid increasingly doesn't seem to be a good value.

Might be an option if I decide to purchase, as I do have a reservation locked in at the previous price. Again, with more electric vehicles coming online in the next few months, the Lucid increasingly doesn't seem to be a good value.
If one is locked in on the old price I think it is still a good value BUT not if they can't do a better job at not leaving owners stranded in high speed lanes on a highway.

If one is locked in on the old price I think it is still a good value BUT not if they can't do a better job at not leaving owners stranded in high speed lanes on a highway.
Wasnt the incident of the one person "stuck" on the highway user error by shifting into neutral?

Wasnt the incident of the one person "stuck" on the highway user error by shifting into neutral?
Yeah, there have been a few folks who shifted into neutral, which isn’t a big deal once you know about it (but scary at the time, for sure)

There have been 4 or 5 folks with 12v battery failures which is the bigger concern, but it does seem very limited; for example, no DEs and not a single vehicle in the Bay Area (where we have a large contingent of Lucids) has seen one.

In all seriousness though, I don't blame anyone for canceling their order, you gotta decide what car works best for you. It's the perfect car for me, but it doesn't have to be for everyone. I'm considering a Polestar or Ioniq for my wife whenever she decides she's done with the Subaru, the Lucid is definitely NOT the right car for her.
Would you mind elaborating about why the Lucid isn't the right car for your wife (size of the car / complexity / form factor)? My wife loves her XC40 EV, I think mainly due to its trim size, solid feel, nice ride, and similarity in operation to her cell phone due to the combo of AAOS with GAS. We'd have strongly considered the Ioniq 5 had it been available a year earlier. Polestar 2 was too tight inside. Mostly interested in your wife's thoughts as they may pertain to WAF of my potential Air purchase.

Yeah, there have been a few folks who shifted into neutral, which isn’t a big deal once you know about it (but scary at the time, for sure)

There have been 4 or 5 folks with 12v battery failures which is the bigger concern, but it does seem very limited; for example, no DEs and not a single vehicle in the Bay Area (where we have a large contingent of Lucids) has seen one.
Is the 12v failure resulting in the vehicle stopping on an active highway? It's been difficult to keep up with the 12v threads.

Is the 12v failure resulting in the vehicle stopping on an active highway? It's been difficult to keep up with the 12v threads.
Depends. Some folks had a warning first, others didn’t. Supposedly a recent software update gives you a 10 minute warning; unclear if that’s working well or not.

I don't see how. I have the OG price and the current price I should net $5 easily maybe more. (Pure)
If it looks like I can't make money, Lucid dies and no one wants one, I walk away...I never locked in. I can still cancel.
The only thing you will make get as profit is your tax credit. $140 plus tax is like $154k... that is the price of a new AGT because whoever buys from you still has to pay taxes on that $154k.

Might still be worth unless you get offers for less than the cost of the car.

Would you mind elaborating about why the Lucid isn't the right car for your wife (size of the car / complexity / form factor)? My wife loves her XC40 EV, I think mainly due to its trim size, solid feel, nice ride, and similarity in operation to her cell phone due to the combo of AAOS with GAS. We'd have strongly considered the Ioniq 5 had it been available a year earlier. Polestar 2 was too tight inside. Mostly interested in your wife's thoughts as they may pertain to WAF of my potential Air purchase.
We have an XC40 as well, do you have carplay issues? That's my only issue with it, the connectivity can be flakey at times. I can't understand why it can't do wireless carplay either.

Per your wife, cars are a personal preference. Everyone is different, so what one likes the other may not. Decide what works for you.

Interesting observation, so the other thing could be heat. But it was not that hot in Dallas this week but the failure could have taken place over time. Something else for Lucid to consider.

Interesting observation, so the other thing could be heat. But it was not that hot in Dallas this week but the failure could have taken place over time. Something else for Lucid to consider.
Doubt it's heat specifically as I don't remember any of the AZ owners have the issue

My wife didn’t learn how to drive until 3 years ago because she’d lived in NYC, Seattle and Boston her whole life and never needed a car. So anything that’s next-level scares her. She was complaining about how distracting the screens were and didn’t think any of it was intuitive, and felt like the learning curve was too steep. I however think many things in the Lucid are how it should be done and other automakers have been sloppy and not thoughtful for far too long forcing you to learn their dumb way. Up/down for temp/fan is WAY smarter than a knob crank, but everyone has been turning a knob for temperature and fan for so long that the simple action of increasing or decreasing temperature or fan seems counter intuitive even though it’s more precise and makes more sense. The trigger door handle is WAY better than your typical pull-then-push door handle which hurts your wrist. And the use of space is fantastic, while I think the navigation is way less clunky, cluttered and easy to use than the weird cartoon interface of most car navigation. Most things in the car in my opinion are minimalist but elegant and distinctive.

Volvo is great though, and she likes Volvo minimalism. I wish Volvo made an EV Sedan or small EV hatchback though, cuz she hates SUVs as much as I do, so the Polestar isn’t a bad compromise even though it’s kinda chunky at least it’s sort of a car. Right now she has a Subaru Impreza with maxed out features. All wheel drive is mandatory in New England weather and Subaru safety features are mostly great. She never uses ACC or lane keep or any of that stuff, just wants as few distractions as possible because she’s nervous every time she drives.

Last edited:
I agree, it’s possible you will net $5, maybe even more.

I agree, it’s possible you will net $5, maybe even more.
Hey...no one ever went broke taking a ...(never mind)...

Back