Alex on Autos thoughts on Kia's EV9

DeaneG

Verified Owner
Cars
Air GT, XC40 P8 EV
Referral Code
3OKY7YGA
"It's taken a while, but I did finally get to spend a day in the EV9. This is the least expensive EV in America with a solidly usable 3rd row. How big is the 3rd row? Well, you get 2.5 inches more headroom than a Model X, 2 inches more than a Grand Highlander, and more than an Odyssey or Pacifica as well. Legroom is also minivan like with up to 116 inches of total legroom.
How did they do it? Turns out not having a drive shaft, exhaust, or gas tank to worry about allows the EV9 to have an interior that's considerably "boxier" than a Telluride or Pilot. The floor is almost completely flat from the 3rd row footwell to the front, unlike most gas SUVs where the 3rd row seat and footwell sit higher than the second and that's usually higher than the first.
How does it drive? That depends on the model you get. The fastest will scoot to 60 in 4.8 seconds in our preliminary testing, the slowest is about 8.8 seconds. The slowest model will get you 304 miles of range while the fastest clocks in at 270 according to the EPA. (Drop 15-20% off that for high speed highway road trips). The cheapest EV9 has the lowest range of course but has slightly better performance than the slowest model (7.7 seconds and 230 miles combined).
Aside from acceleration, it's impressively quiet and buttoned down. The 285 width tires allow it more grip than the average 3-row family hauler, and despite a symmetrical motor setup in the AWD versions, Kia programs it to bias power to the rear unless it's floored. Ride quality is on the firm side of the segment, but thankfully it escapes the "firm and bouncy" feel so many big battery EVs are plagued with.
Pricing? Here's where things get somewhat sticky. Including destination it'll start at $56,395. Kia is kicking in a $3,750 discount right now because the models you'll see on lots today are made in Korea and don't qualify for the tax credit. Starting later this year however they will get the IRS credit because they will be built in Georgia. The 304 mile model starts at $60,695, AWD at $65,395, and if you get carried away you can get over $78,000.
At the moment, the EV9 stands alone at the bottom of the trim ladder. The third row is HUGE compared to the teeny-tiny optional 3rd row in a Model Y. The rest of the competition is a great deal more. How much more?
A Model Y 3 row starts at $53,380 (including destination), so it will be the cheaper option as long as you only put small children in the way-back and don't need much cargo room. The Tesla gets the full $7500 credit making it even less expensive for many. The EV9 is next,. Volvo's EX90 will start at the top end of the EV9's price ladder at $78,190. It should get a $3,750 credit as it'll be built in South Carolina. The R1S will also get the credit if you stick to the base models which start at $79,800. How about a Model X? Well, no credit there because a 3-row model will be at least $84,880. The X starts as a 3-row vehicle and adding that 3rd row will add $3,500 to $6,500 to the price tag. Also, colors other than grey will be $1,500-$2,500 extra and you have to pay an additional cost to get an interior other than black.
What do you think? My biggest problem with the EV9, and honestly any of the roomy 3-row EVs is that they are on the spendy side. Yes, this is the most affordable at the moment, but a Telluride will start about $20,000 less and a PHEV Pacifica or PHEV Sorento might also be a solid option to consider."

I think Kia is doing tremendous job than other legacy auto coming into this market. Where is Ford Explorer or Navigator EV?

Anyway, expect to negotiate mark up. Kia unlike other legacy autos has backlog on highest demand. I learned that wheh shopping at EV6 and Hyundai Ioniq5 and ended up got a Polestar2 for fastest delivery.

I feel the same about Kia and Hyundai's EVs - they aren't remarkable, but are very good and deliver a lot of value for their price. They didn't let perfection become the enemy of the very good, appropriate for their market segment.

Ford's Explorer EV is due to ship in six months. It'll likely be quite competent, as I imagine Ford engineers learned a lot from their best-selling non-Tesla, the Mach e.

Back