Far and Away The Most Unusual EV Car Claim

Sudleyplace

Cars
Air Touring
I was interested in this article because of its claimed range of 650 miles, thinking that they were one of the first to deliver on some new battery technology. No, mostly just a bigger battery.

Unrelated fact, they mention that their car "is even longer than the luxury EV model Lucid Air at 79.3 inches". No word on width or height comparison.

The next thing that caught my eye was the claim that they could exchange the entire battery in three minutes. Maybe important in the long run, but not a strong reason for me to buy.

However, what really caught my eye was their claim that the car could

"shake snow off its body by vibrating".

Really.

Around here, we call that "Wet Dog Mode".

Now, you might not have much (if any) snow in your area, but still, you have give them credit for thinking outside the box.

I expect to see this as a new checkbox on all future EV comparison charts. Lucid, are you listening?

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/nio-et9-electric-car-china-flagship-sedan/

I was interested in this article because of its claimed range of 650 miles, thinking that they were one of the first to deliver on some new battery technology. No, mostly just a bigger battery.

Unrelated fact, they mention that their car "is even longer than the luxury EV model Lucid Air at 79.3 inches". No word on width or height comparison.

The next thing that caught my eye was the claim that they could exchange the entire battery in three minutes. Maybe important in the long run, but not a strong reason for me to buy.

Really.

Now, you might not have much (if any) snow in your area, but still, you have give them credit for thinking outside the box.

I expect to see this as a new checkbox on all future EV comparison charts. Lucid, are you listening?

https://www.thecooldown.com/green-business/nio-et9-electric-car-china-flagship-sedan/
Those of us blessed by snowfall, at least for the coming few years after which it will be an anomaly, have bigger issues with EV’s than just the snow.
That said, I do think that with BYD equaling global market share with Tesla, the Chinese will be at the forefront of competitive advantages. It’s going to underline Porter’s five forces again.

BYD and Nio are two interesting Chinese EV manufacturers to watch. They both raised a lot of money from international investors, have support from the Chinese government, have significant market share and growth in their market, have already started international expansion and sales, and constantly announce new models and concepts.

Really.

Without clicking the link, I already know this is from NIO. Chinese EVs are shocking advance compare to Tesla lineup. I don’t recommend Lucid Motors to bump head in China wasting money. Right now their state run anti-American propaganda is making negative sentiment, it would be terrible decision for any American business stuck their investment in China and get sucked dry.

If not for US-China trade war, I would take XPeng or NIO in a heartbeat over Tesla.

Without clicking the link, I already know this is from NIO. Chinese EVs are shocking advance compare to Tesla lineup. I don’t recommend Lucid Motors to bump head in China wasting money. Right now their state run anti-American propaganda is making negative sentiment, it would be terrible decision for any American business stuck their investment in China and get sucked dry.

If not for US-China trade war, I would take XPeng or NIO in a heartbeat over Tesla.
I’m more worried about Chinese stealing my data/hacking. China is not our friend, not buying any Chinese car including Volvo , Lotus or Polestar…..

I’m more worried about Chinese stealing my data/hacking. China is not our friend, not buying any Chinese car including Volvo , Lotus or Polestar…..
That’s not really fair to me, as all of those companies are NOT headquartered in China and only monetary affairs and assembly for a limited set of cars occurs there.

That’s not really fair to me, as all of those companies are NOT headquartered in China and only monetary affairs and assembly for a limited set of cars occurs there.
While I agree with you (as is obvious from the other thread, which amuses me since in this case you’re applying the same logic but in reverse) the concern is not quite so “unfair” on this point - if the vehicles are assembled in China, that means that there is far more surface area for the insertion of tools for espionage. Hardware modifications on assembly lines happen all the time, and history shows us that suppliers can and do build exploits into the parts they supply.

I’m not saying don’t buy the cars; I am saying it’s not quite the “conspiracy theory” you think it might be, but manufacturers can compromise the supply chain in many ways. Assembly just increases the surface area.

Bit like tik tok? I don’t know what these Chinese companies do with my data, rather be safe than sorry. Even if they are storing in off shore non-China countries, databases can be deciphered by the Chinese without anyone knowing. Nope, not buying any EV made by a China owned company.

Did you know China passed the Hong Kong National Security law- anyone on the planet can be arrested if you set foot on Chinese territory if they deem you a threat to their national security- including any social media posts you may have made.

I’m never setting foot on Chinese territory! China are not our allies and are not to be trusted.

Never buying Chinese cars and even forbid my family from doing that.

I would not park near, or be near, a Chinese EV. If I see one at a charger bank I'd leave the area.

People, if you see a Chinese EV (or scooter or bicycle)... remember to hold your camera horizontally to film the fire, and stand further back than you would if filming an ICE fire.

As for the privacy issue / data mining... you gave that up long ago.

lol, thanks for the tip to get your video on the 6 o’clock news…

But when talking about data, did you guys consider that the phone or computer that your posting from has chips from China and/or was assembled in China? I’m not blind to the espionage that occurs (anyone remember the IBM/Lenovo spyware in laptops), but it seems like there are bigger dangers to data mining than from your car. As with your computer/phone, be cautious of what information you enter and take precautions but I’m afraid the days of not buying anything electronic from China have passed…🤷

But when talking about data, did you guys consider that the phone or computer that your posting from has chips from China and/or was assembled in China? I’m not blind to the espionage that occurs (anyone remember the IBM/Lenovo spyware in laptops), but it seems like there are bigger dangers to data mining than from your car.
You’re right. This bothers me too, but I have very few alternative options.

If I'm being honest, I am barely bothered by this as there aren't many minor chips that would have the required system access to track you in a computer (on second thought, knowing china, I'd wager anything is possible with enough hacking prowess).

If I'm being honest, I am barely bothered by this as there aren't many minor chips that would have the required system access to track you in a computer
Getting wildly offtopic here, but that is so very far from the truth it has boggled my mind, haha. Until very recently there was effectively zero attention paid to restricting "on-board" peripherals, so many had (and on many devices still have) completely unrestricted access to whatever they want. And why even stop at "minor" chips? Do you know where your CPUs are made? Your modems? Your WiFi cards? These things are not minor. Apple's at least are mostly fabbed in Taiwan, but that's not everything.

Getting wildly offtopic here, but that is so very far from the truth it has boggled my mind, haha. Until very recently there was effectively zero attention paid to restricting "on-board" peripherals, so many had (and on many devices still have) completely unrestricted access to whatever they want. And why even stop at "minor" chips? Do you know where your CPUs are made? Your modems? Your WiFi cards? These things are not minor. Apple's at least are mostly fabbed in Taiwan, but that's not everything.
This.

@xponents embrace mild cynicism when it comes to thinking about hardware and software being attackable. It will serve you better than naïveté.

Getting wildly offtopic here, but that is so very far from the truth it has boggled my mind, haha. Until very recently there was effectively zero attention paid to restricting peripherals, so many had (and on many devices still have) completely unrestricted access to whatever they want. And why even stop at "minor" chips? Do you know where your CPUs are made? Your modems? Your WiFi cards? These things are not minor. Apple's at least are mostly fabbed in Taiwan, but that's not everything.
Haha not referring to peripherals, those can completely change things if they aren't used properly in an OS. Most CPUs, modems, and WiFi cards are made in China, but most (at least in my laptop) are owned by American companies. I do recognize that if a serious security breach happened in one of the factories, or if the factories aren't regularly monitored/owned by companies (TSMC could be an example), then potential spyware could be injected. I'm an overly nice "assume everybody is good" guy, so that could explain me not believing that could be possible in these times..
This.

@xponents embrace mild cynicism when it comes to thinking about hardware and software being attackable. It will serve you better than naïveté.
Will do!

Back