Mobile Key Insight Comment

SubSailor

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
Tesla M3, AirGT
I am posting this under General Discussion rather than Mobile Key because it is a pain to admit this. After over a year of ownership, my spouse decided to drive the Lucid more often and asked me to pair her phone with the car.
(Here it comes, Bobby!!!!) I have an Android Galaxy S24 and she has a new iPhone. I paired her phone and, damnit, the Lucid lights up immediately when she opens the garage door. I swear it is mocking my Android phone and all the ribbing I gave to Bobby (and DeaneG for switching phones.) Due to my stubbornness, I will still use my Android but come time to upgrade, I may have to go back to Apple and give up my Android Auto on Thursday status. Of course, enduring my spouse's "I told you so" will be very hard to endure also. Maybe CarPlay access will help.

My android works better than the iPhone I've been testing, don't give in.

Please share any insights for us Android users! I've sadly had to resort to using the iffy key fob.. which is less iffier than my Pixel 8 Pro...it's also sometimes regressed to me having to press the handle while waiting ... first world problems of course... but... but ..

My Android has been working really well too. If I'm near the car with the phone, it reliably wakes up. I've gone on a few drives already without the fob. All of them happened by accident, but it was good because now I'd feel fine leaving the fob home and just having my S23 with me.

Bobby convinced me to use the mobile key ... I tried it and agree it's pretty cool...used it for almost a year.
Now I'm back to using the fob. I keep it in a Faraday pouch to preserve the battery life ( going on 18 months now-- same battery).

I slip the naked fob in the watch pocket of my jeans. The shape and light weight make me forget it's there.

I respect either choice. Both are good.

As for the response feed: any electronic switch I use today seems to be slow. The delay on the new set-top-box Verizon sent me is so long it removes the advantage it had over the mechanical tuner dial on the Sony Triniton. I have enough time to get up, walk over to a vintage TV, turn the dial, adjust the volume, walk back and sit down ... the new Verizon box is still trying to process the command.

Same with the digital switches in the Lucid = nothing like the good old days of instant response mechanical switches.

Last edited:
Seriously ... it takes me a while to close the garage door after I back out. I have several digital switches to press, and half the time I hit the profile button instead of the garage door access button and have to start over.

Several people have suggested finding the remote that came with the garage door opener and clipping it to the visor. Yeah .... tired of waiting for Lucid to recognize how this daily frustration crushes the groove.

That said ... I did not buy a Lucid for the digital switches and human interface.

I bought it because it's the best car in the world.

My iphone 14 pro mobile key still stinks. I don't think moving to Apple will solve your issues
Same. Even after they replaced my antennas, mobile key isn’t good. Although to be honest, my key fob still doesn’t work that well either.

I am posting this under General Discussion rather than Mobile Key because it is a pain to admit this. After over a year of ownership, my spouse decided to drive the Lucid more often and asked me to pair her phone with the car.
(Here it comes, Bobby!!!!) I have an Android Galaxy S24 and she has a new iPhone. I paired her phone and, damnit, the Lucid lights up immediately when she opens the garage door. I swear it is mocking my Android phone and all the ribbing I gave to Bobby (and DeaneG for switching phones.) Due to my stubbornness, I will still use my Android but come time to upgrade, I may have to go back to Apple and give up my Android Auto on Thursday status. Of course, enduring my spouse's "I told you so" will be very hard to endure also. Maybe CarPlay access will help.
I actually have the opposite situation. I have an iPhone 15 Pro and added my wife’s Google Pixel 7 (?) later. The car immediately responds any time she is near. But for me, it takes its time. What’s even worse is that when we’re going somewhere together, despite face recognition supposedly being turned on, the car tries to reset from my 5’11” settings to her 5’0” settings and I feel like I’m in the trash compactor scene in Star Wars. In any event, could it be something to do with which mobile key was most recently added vs iOS/Android?

I actually have the opposite situation. I have an iPhone 15 Pro and added my wife’s Google Pixel 7 (?) later. The car immediately responds any time she is near. But for me, it takes its time. What’s even worse is that when we’re going somewhere together, despite face recognition supposedly being turned on, the car tries to reset from my 5’11” settings to her 5’0” settings and I feel like I’m in the trash compactor scene in Star Wars. In any event, could it be something to do with which mobile key was most recently added vs iOS/Android?
I know I've said this elsewhere. Use the Easy Entry feature. That way, if you get in the driver's seat and you see her profile pic or her themed light color, you can switch profiles before the seat crunches you. I'm 5'1" and my husband is 6'2", so we've had this issue before.

...I swear it is mocking my Android phone and all the ribbing I gave to Bobby (and DeaneG for switching phones.) ...
I'm about ready to switch back! Love Apple's Ultra 2 watch, but I find the iPhone to be frequently frustrating and buggy compared to my Pixel 7. I'll be drop-kicking it as soon as Lucid starts using Google Maps, or ships Android Auto, or if I just can't deal anymore.

I just use the fob, so no worries there.

I know I've said this elsewhere. Use the Easy Entry feature. That way, if you get in the driver's seat and you see her profile pic or her themed light color, you can switch profiles before the seat crunches you. I'm 5'1" and my husband is 6'2", so we've had this issue before.
Thanks! I used to have that turned on before I added her, and turned it off because she didn’t drive it much. But you’re absolutely right. That’ll help a lot!

I think the most recently added key gets priority. My wife and I both have the same iPhone 14 Pro yet the car 90% of the time responds to her first even if she’s a couple steps behind me. I should probably try to delete my key and start from scratch, but it just seems like too much work ☹️

Please share any insights for us Android users! I've sadly had to resort to using the iffy key fob.. which is less iffier than my Pixel 8 Pro...it's also sometimes regressed to me having to press the handle while waiting ... first world problems of course... but... but ..
It's the Pixel not Android. Upgrade to a Samsung. My Note 2O Ultra works perfectly. I'm activating our Fold 5's tomorrow. Hoping it works just as well as my Note does.

I'm not really sure why, but my car behaves exactly as OP described - I open the garage door, and the car turns on. I do have all the "background running" permissions and everything on, but I also have a pixel 8 and it's been seamless forever.

Back