Mobile Connector vs Chargepoint or Juicebox or blah!

sbr41

Verified Owner
Cars
Air Touring
Referral Code
0YXD7ZUH
First time EV owner here! I am pretty satisfied with the mobile connector that came with the car. It is currently plugged in at my garage.
Do I need an actual home charging station like Chargepoint or Juicebox? Or can I just keep using the mobile connector? Any advantages with spending another $500-700$ on home charging stations?
My only concern at this time with using the Mobile Connector is - I may be on the road somewhere with no EV charging (but have electricity access), but my Mobile Connector is sitting in my garage, and I cannot charge the car even with 110v.

First time EV owner here! I am pretty satisfied with the mobile connector that came with the car. It is currently plugged in at my garage.
Do I need an actual home charging station like Chargepoint or Juicebox? Or can I just keep using the mobile connector? Any advantages with spending another $500-700$ on home charging stations?
My only concern at this time with using the Mobile Connector is - I may be on the road somewhere with no EV charging (but have electricity access), but my Mobile Connector is sitting in my garage, and I cannot charge the car even with 110v.
That's exactly the concern why many of us kept the mobile connector in the car and bought a new EVSE or a used an old one. You can also buy a new mobile connector, non Lucid one and use that in your garage as well, or just yank your Mobile Connector when you travel, but many electricians advise not plugging and unplugging the 14-50 plug on a regular basis.

I have a Juicebox 40 amp that I have had since 2018 for my first EV. It has been flawless and well worth the price. I bought it on Amazon.

I can’t imagine owning this car without a level 2 home charger. The convenience is well worth the $1,000, which amounts to a rounding figure for the price you paid for the car. Juicebox and ChargePoint are both good. I have a ChargePoint.

I use a Wallbox Pulsar Plus unit at home. I like that I can adjust the charging amperage to utilize excess solar generation once my Powerwalls are full.

I use a Wallbox Pulsar Plus unit at home. I like that I can adjust the charging amperage to utilize excess solar generation once my Powerwalls are full.
That’s super cool! I’m getting another L2 charger when I get my R1S. I’ll short list the Wallbox.

I have the juicebox 40 because in NJ they offered $250 incentive. The electric company also has some incentives along with federal for service upgrade. Well worth it!

So from what I gather from the replies, there are not any functional advantages to installing a home charger, other than the convenience of leaving a charger always plugged into the outlet, and the mobile connector always available in your car in the event of Mayday. Please correct me if I am wrong.
I can’t imagine owning this car without a level 2 home charger. The convenience is well worth the $1,000, which amounts to a rounding figure for the price you paid for the car. Juicebox and ChargePoint are both good. I have a ChargePoint.
I spent how much ever I spent on the car, because I thought it was worth every penny (no rounding) ;) And I am trying to make sure I am not spending a dime more than what's worth for the home charging station.

Charging speed is one advantage with a direct wired home charger. It is nice to charge at 19.2 kW to add a bunch of energy in only an hour at hoome. There are also some advantages to a smart home charger like getting the kWh added and the cost with historical data.. The other advantage is that you have a Spare. If you just have the mobile and it stops working, you have no other alternative to charge at home.
… but it is certainly not required to have a home charger installed. The mobile one will work just fine.

I've had a Juicebox w/ wifi since 2016, still works perfectly and is still supported in their app for remote management.

Costco Summerlin in Vegas has the Pulsar on sale for $499. Also Autel 40A at $399.

I've had a Juicebox w/ wifi since 2016, still works perfectly and is still supported in their app for remote management.
I've had a Juicebox 40 since 2018. It still works great. My only complaint ever was setting up it's wifi connection; it is a painful process. I did have it set to Smart Charging for my previous car, but with the Lucid it works a lot better to use the Scheduled charging in the Lucid and just leave the Juicebox set to charge when it's plugged in.

Setup of my Autel was a snap. As soon as it powered up, it went in Search mode and updated the firmware. MotorTrend gives the Autel charger and app very favorable ratings.

I have setup two Charge Points for use with my AT, both given to me by the electric utility. Free is good.

One hardwired, 60 amp circuit, 48 amp charging. Main home

Other plug in, Hubbell NEMA 14-50, 50 amp circuit, 40 amp charging. Vacation home.

Both work flawlessly. Both are wifi connected to the utilities for better pricing. After initial set up, I simply plug them in and Lucid takes over. Dead simple. I love the convenience.

I've had a Juicebox 40 since 2018. It still works great. My only complaint ever was setting up it's wifi connection; it is a painful process. I did have it set to Smart Charging for my previous car, but with the Lucid it works a lot better to use the Scheduled charging in the Lucid and just leave the Juicebox set to charge when it's plugged in.
Yeah, i turned off scheduled charging on it a long time ago. The only thing I really use the wifi features on it is to send me reminders by 11pm that the car isn't plugged in.....saved my bacon a couple of times.

Same. I’ve used the Juice Box 40 now for almost 5 years and it has been flawless. I don’t use scheduled charging because we do not have time of use cost differentials.

I have the basic model Grizzl-E, and a Juicebox. Both work perfectly. I don't use, want, or need Wi-Fi app control. The Lucid app is all I need to monitor the charging. I just plug in the Air when it is low when I get home and the next morning (or sooner) it's back at 80% or whatever I set it to. I leave the Lucid charger in the trunk for emergencies but have never used it. I don't think it is a good idea to plug and unplug these high power 220V devices routinely.

Since our peak electric rates are now 81 cents Per kW,, I use the scheduled charging. Unfortunately the Lucid charger is deficient on that. For my chargepoint flex which powers our Leaf, I can control the exact times it is running. It works wonderfully. The Lucid charger has ZERO scheduling capabilities. The car has a 12 hour window but will not stop when the window ends. In addition, I have had several failed charging sessions when plugging in the Lucid home charger. While I like the speed, I am a big thumbs down on the scheduling capabilities of both the Charger and the car.

Since our peak electric rates are now 81 cents Per kW,, I use the scheduled charging. Unfortunately the Lucid charger is deficient on that. For my chargepoint flex which powers our Leaf, I can control the exact times it is running. It works wonderfully. The Lucid charger has ZERO scheduling capabilities. The car has a 12 hour window but will not stop when the window ends. In addition, I have had several failed charging sessions when plugging in the Lucid home charger. While I like the speed, I am a big thumbs down on the scheduling capabilities of both the Charger and the car.
I guess I am lucky to have net metering 1 with no time of use differential.

I guess I am lucky to have net metering 1 with no time of use differential.
Yes, but you are probably paying an arm and leg charging overnight for that privilege.

Back