Lucid Now Charging for Mobile Service (Conditionally)

Big Boss

Verified Owner
Cars
Grand Touring
I booked a mobile service appointment today and was told that as of yesterday (August 21, 2023) Lucid will start charging for mobile service appointments IF it turns out there is not a warranty issue with the vehicle. This will include charges for driving time for the mobile service van to and from the appointment at $200 per hour. Fortunately, I have two verifiable warranty issues. From a business perspective, I don't fault Lucid for working to optimize the operations of the business.

As it was explained, they don't want to make a service call if someone just does not know how to do something with their Lucid, or the problem is the result of damage or normal wear and tear. However, from a customer service perspective this puts a lot on the owners to risk a $300 to $400 trip charge. I'd be happy to swing by a service center to have something checked out, but we don't have a service center in Dallas yet (Houston is a bit far). In markets with no service center, the mobile fleet is their investment in service. Our mobile service team has been great and extremely helpful, but it puts a lot on them as well to have the awkward conversation of "I may have to charge you".

It would be good to get some clear communication from Lucid on the new policy.

I think it's a good decision from Lucid.
Like you mentioned, clueless owners might have a tendency to abuse it.
Good CS triage should stop most unnecessary service calls, I would think.

7 hour roundtrip from Atlanta, not to include time at residence. Great move for the company.

However, this puts a lot of us in a tough spot with TPMS sensors and annual service. Swap wheels? That'll be $1,400 to get there and another $200-400 for the work. Same for annual service.

My genuine hope is not to have to fight for right to repair and do service. Order parts and get instructions on the little bit of maintainence. Eventual ability to reprogram TPMS sensors.

Overall, I can't fault Lucid for the transition, particularly if the two items above get addressed.

I booked a mobile service appointment today

It would be good to get some clear communication from Lucid on the new policy.
My only serious complaint about Lucid has been the lack of communication on.... Anything. Perhaps I am expecting too much. We all could be far better brand ambassadors if they told us.... Anything.

Hence, This forum is not a luxury but a necessity for a successful ownership

My only serious complaint about Lucid has been the lack of communication on.... Anything. Perhaps I am expecting too much. We all could be far better brand ambassadors if they told us.... Anything.

I can't disagree. I'm usually one to empathize with the Apple approach of "Need to know" when it comes to what bits of information to make public. But Lucid takes it to new extremes. And it's never a good idea in customer support situations.

Saddens me to hear this, but it was inevitable. No way Lucid could have kept bleeding cash forever.

Would reattaching the plastic bolts to my front mud flap, because the plastic bolts somehow worked themselves loose and fell off, be a warranty repair? Would troubleshooting an intermittent creaking in my driver door panel be a warranty repair?

This is the whole thing. People are much more understanding when you level with them and tell them what to expect. The best way to lose good will from customers is to guard all information like it is Colonel Sanders’s special recipe.

Well, it is just par for the course. I have also been told they were going to open a service center much closer to me and that they were going to base a mobile tech in Charlotte, neither of which has happened. I was told before I purchased my car to expect a Service Center much closer to me in the "near future". It was also mentioned that they were working on an agreement with a local shop to be able to do work on the car. They even told me the shop was in Hickory, NC. "They" was an executive that got terminated in the big round of layoffs several months ago. What he also neglected to mention was that the Hickory shop was only for body work.

I still have that gurgling, strange noise that appears to come from under the console, usually around 40 mph and usually early in drives, but I am not willing to give up my car for weeks or pay $200/hour for the 10 hour round trip for the mobile tech that usually shows up at my house if it isn't a warranty item.

I love the car, but I just pray I don't need service (knocking on wood). Really, I am almost to a point where I would hesitate to recommend the car to anyone without pointing out the service situation and making sure they knew exactly what that meant.

Well, it is just par for the course. I have also been told they were going to open a service center much closer to me and that they were going to base a mobile tech in Charlotte, neither of which has happened. I was told before I purchased my car to expect a Service Center much closer to me in the "near future". It was also mentioned that they were working on an agreement with a local shop to be able to do work on the car. They even told me the shop was in Hickory, NC. "They" was an executive that got terminated in the big round of layoffs several months ago. What he also neglected to mention was that the Hickory shop was only for body work.

I still have that gurgling, strange noise that appears to come from under the console, usually around 40 mph and usually early in drives, but I am not willing to give up my car for weeks or pay $200/hour for the 10 hour round trip for the mobile tech that usually shows up at my house if it isn't a warranty item.

I love the car, but I just pray I don't need service (knocking on wood). Really, I am almost to a point where I would hesitate to recommend the car to anyone without pointing out the service situation and making sure they knew exactly what that meant.
I would agree. I love the car for the way it drives, but would not recommend it at this time due to lack of service center near me in NJ. Service has been an issue since the beginning and has not been getting much better. While the techs are very pleasant and knowledgeable, the scheduling of service is miserable and understaffed. The service staff in this area are stretched way too thin on the East Coast.

I booked a mobile service appointment today and was told that as of yesterday (August 21, 2023) Lucid will start charging for mobile service appointments IF it turns out there is not a warranty issue with the vehicle. T
My concern would be what would Lucid do if the mobile tech determined that the "problem" couldn't be replicated. An intermittent issue.

My other concern would be charging for driving time for non warranty work. If Lucid had a dealership network, there would be no such charge as the customer would bring in the car. If there is no Lucid service center in the area, and non warranty work is to be performed, there shouldn't be a charge for the drive time/distance; just for the work.

My concern would be what would Lucid do if the mobile tech determined that the "problem" couldn't be replicated. An intermittent issue.

My other concern would be charging for driving time for non warranty work. If Lucid had a dealership network, there would be no such charge as the customer would bring in the car. If there is no Lucid service center in the area, and non warranty work is to be performed, there shouldn't be a charge for the drive time/distance; just for the work.
I wouldn't be surprised if they go this route. They know that there are lots of areas nowhere near a service center, and I don't think they'd want to be punative about drive times and such. This entire idea seems to be focused on reducing costs from customers who are essentially wasting precious tech time on "free" tutorials for information they could easily get by reading the manual. It's about curbing abuse of the system, not eeking out extra money from customers who legitimately need help.

Typically if you are far enough away (for some as of yet very roughly defined and inconsistent distance) they won’t charge you for the drive out for mobile service, or they’ll offer a tow. This is because there is no nearby service center.

That changes if you’re within a reasonable distance.

I would agree. I love the car for the way it drives, but would not recommend it at this time due to lack of service center near me in NJ. Service has been an issue since the beginning and has not been getting much better. While the techs are very pleasant and knowledgeable, the scheduling of service is miserable and understaffed. The service staff in this area are stretched way too thin on the East Coast.
I know it's not in NJ, buy Lucid is opening new service center (2 - 3 weeks) in Plainview NY.

Service is a real chicken and egg situation for any new car company. Hard to justify leasing a space, hiring and training a staff, and opening up shop in a town where you've sold ten cars. Then again, those ten customers don't want to hear that.

Believe me, my nearest "official" service center is in Arizona, so I feel your pain. But sales are increasing here in Colorado, so I do expect them to open up a true center near Denver at least by sometime next year.

I remember from talking to Apple Retail Executives back in the day, finding the right location and leasing rates alone can take several months to a year.

I'm confident from all my dealings so far with service that while the current situation is not good, the people involved all want to do much better. They will get there. Meanwhile, if you are not prepared for some inconvenience in the short term, yeah. Maybe this car isn't for you.

I know it's not in NJ, buy Lucid is opening new service center (2 - 3 weeks) in Plainview
Actually it just opened and I just received a call that they are picking up car tomorrow to fix my frunk which has 2 broken latches and trunk misalignment. It’s 2 hours away but much better than 4 hr trip to Natick, MA

close friends in Denver came over to see and drive our Lucid. They want to replace a big Mercedes. Their idea of roughing it is a standard room at the Ritz. They really loved my car. Perfect Lucid demographics.

But. They are very very un-techy. They also have a home in LA. I strongly recommended for them, in Colorado, definitely not to buy it. For an LA car, yes. But not Colorado. Alas, in LA, they only use Uber or a car service. I hope my advice in the future changes.

Back