RESOLVED Warranty service for those of us who don't live anywhere near a service center

Halodde

Cars
Lucid Air Touring
I'd like to clarify this question and situation to avoid a lot of back and forth between members. First, this only applies to people who live 4+ hours from the closest service center. Those who live closer are in a very different position and this doesn't apply to you. Second, I'm only asking about warranty service, not annual service or any other situation not covered under the warranty.

When I was considering the purchase of the car, one of my biggest concerns was service because I live ~7 hours away from the closest service center to Buffalo. I was told Lucid mobile service would take care of anything possible. And for warranty items that mobile service could not handle, Lucid would arrange for and absorb the cost of transporting the vehicle to and from the service center location. Up until now, this has proven to be the case. And I have been happy with mobile service. And, on the 2 times it was necessary, Lucid arranged for a transport vehicle to trailer my car to Albany once (body work) and to Natick once.

Now, however, I'm being told that it's MY responsibility to take or get the car to a service center 7 hours away for warranty service issues! Wait... Seriously? I have to spend 2 days driving round trip and either wait there for the service or pay for plane tickets back and forth to get warranty service? Or pay for the transport obviously. I would have to take multiple days off from work and pay a bunch of $ for plane tickets or pay even more for a transport???

This was NEVER disclosed when I asked about service. Has anyone else experienced this apparent change in policy? If this is the way Lucid is going to handle warranty service, there's a good chance I will have to sell my car and I will be very vocal that nobody who lives more than an hour from one of service centers should even consider buying a car. At least not until they open a ton of more service centers. We are already disadvantaged because we don't get loaners. But this is over the top.

They are going to lose so many potential sales if they burden the owners who live far away from their service centers with the cost and inconvenience of having to get the cars to them for warranty service purposes.

Again, my questions only apply to people who live far from the service centers.

I'd like to clarify this question and situation to avoid a lot of back and forth between members. First, this only applies to people who live 4+ hours from the closest service center. Those who live closer are in a very different position and this doesn't apply to you. Second, I'm only asking about warranty service, not annual service or any other situation not covered under the warranty.

When I was considering the purchase of the car, one of my biggest concerns was service because I live ~7 hours away from the closest service center to Buffalo. I was told Lucid mobile service would take care of anything possible. And for warranty items that mobile service could not handle, Lucid would arrange for and absorb the cost of transporting the vehicle to and from the service center location. Up until now, this has proven to be the case. And I have been happy with mobile service. And, on the 2 times it was necessary, Lucid arranged for a transport vehicle to trailer my car to Albany once (body work) and to Natick once.

Now, however, I'm being told that it's MY responsibility to take or get the car to a service center 7 hours away for warranty service issues! Wait... Seriously? I have to spend 2 days driving round trip and either wait there for the service or pay for plane tickets back and forth to get warranty service? Or pay for the transport obviously. I would have to take multiple days off from work and pay a bunch of $ for plane tickets or pay even more for a transport???

This was NEVER disclosed when I asked about service. Has anyone else experienced this apparent change in policy? If this is the way Lucid is going to handle warranty service, there's a good chance I will have to sell my car and I will be very vocal that nobody who lives more than an hour from one of service centers should even consider buying a car. At least not until they open a ton of more service centers. We are already disadvantaged because we don't get loaners. But this is over the top.

They are going to lose so many potential sales if they burden the owners who live far away from their service centers with the cost and inconvenience of having to get the cars to them for warranty service purposes.

I think you should speak to the supervisor at CS or someone else because I'm in Utah, nowhere near a service center.

They take care of me all the time from close bed tow to a service center, or a Lucid service van popping up to fix in my garage.

That's been my experience and it's been beyond stellar!

I don't like the change, but since it's not written anywhere in the contract, it's possible to verbally bait you first and legally switch you now based on the contract that lacks what is verbally agreed on.

Reputation-wise, Lucid needs to sort this out. It keeps boasting "luxury," which was true when you first got the first-class service even when you live 7 hours away.

It is understandable that luxurious service costs too much so there's no reason to shun the economy service by having the owner drive a Lucid 7 hours away to a Service Center, but Lucid needs to be transparent and that policy needs to be publically posted to reduce confusion between luxury brand vs economy brand.

I think you should speak to the supervisor at CS or someone else because I'm in Utah, nowhere near a service center.

They take care of me all the time from close bed tow to a service center, or a Lucid service van popping up to fix in my garage.

That's been my experience and it's been beyond stellar!
Right. That's been my experience up until this point, too. But I'm still having fob/mobile key recognition issues, the passive locking not working consistently, and now the dash displaying speed limits that don't exist in NYS. And my service guy (in Natick) said they are not going to transport the car. If I want these things fixed, I have to go to a service center 7 hours away? Come on

I was told the same thing you were about transport to and from the service center by everyone and the one time I needed it they took my car to Natick. They did seem to push back additional work needed until a closer service center opened though.

What you describe is absolutely ridiculous though. It seems like your problems are more persistent, but that's not through any fault of yours.

I was under the impression that mobile service and transport was part of warranty work if needed.

I was told the same thing you were about transport to and from the service center by everyone and the one time I needed it they took my car to Natick. They did seem to push back additional work needed until a closer service center opened though.

What you describe is absolutely ridiculous though. It seems like your problems are more persistent, but that's not through any fault of yours.

I was under the impression that mobile service and transport was part of warranty work if needed.

Yes, it's written down on the web:

It describes warranty service by mobile service AND....

"If your incident is more serious, we’ll transport your Lucid to the nearest service facility free of charge.*"

The asterisk here is only effective "* In the continental US and Canada."

I'd like to clarify this question and situation to avoid a lot of back and forth between members. First, this only applies to people who live 4+ hours from the closest service center. Those who live closer are in a very different position and this doesn't apply to you.

Did Lucid actually tell you that their refusal to transport the car applies only to owners who are more than four hours from a Service Center?

This has not ever been disclosed to me. I have mobile coming this week for my 1 year service visit and I will be sure to ask James ( my local Lucid tech) if this is a new Lucid policy. If it is confirmed , that is very very bad news. I would be really surprised and tremendously disappointed if that were the case.

Did Lucid actually tell you that their refusal to transport the car applies only to owners who are more than four hours from a Service Center?

This has not ever been disclosed to me. I have mobile coming this week for my 1 year service visit and I will be sure to ask James ( my local Lucid tech) if this is a new Lucid policy. If it is confirmed , that is very very bad news. I would be really surprised and tremendously disappointed if that were the case.
Sorry for the confusion on the 4 hour thing. They DID NOT specify any kind of distance. The 4 hour number was my estimation on how far away is too far to expect an owner to be responsible for the transportation of the vehicle.

Please let me know what he says. I'm trying to get my 12k service scheduled as well. I will also ask although my guess is that mobile service is not involved with the process of what happens if warranty service is needed and mobile service cannot address it in the field.

Yes, it's written down on the web:

It describes warranty service by mobile service AND....

"If your incident is more serious, we’ll transport your Lucid to the nearest service facility free of charge.*"

The asterisk here is only effective "* In the continental US and Canada."
2 things about that. First, that information is dated 2021 and could have changed. 2nd, the part about 'if your incident is more serious...' is in the roadside assistance section and who knows how that works for warranty service

This actually seems more location specific. If the mobile technicians aren't free or have too many appointments backed up, it may fall under a heuristic approach to determine whether or not its a priority.

James has never once let me down.
In fact, he's been so excellent that I can't even imagine service now without him.

Again, this is not about mobile service. This is regarding warranty repairs that mobile service cannot address

Again, this is not about mobile service. This is regarding warranty repairs that mobile service cannot address

Understood. Definitely will be enquiring.
Been very fortunate with my car and naturally I hope the good fortune continues, but in the unlikely event that it doesn’t , I appreciate having peace of mind and knowing that Lucid will take care of things.
I certainly get that from James out of Utah, and I hope that if my car needs a visit to a service center , Lucid will have my back ( during the allotted warranty period ).

I live in the Rochester Area and had to travel to the Toronto Service center. It’s about a 2 hour drive and they given me a loaner for my warranty repairs. My mobile tech has been excellent and always taken care of me. It all depends on what the concern is.

In my case though, he handles all of the middle work between getting the appointments setup and even pushing CS to get transport out.

He literally told me that the cars within the technician'a jurisdiction are their babies. Meaning that everything that happens to the cars, they need to be aware of.

So for me, that's where the local technicians come in

But yes, I guess that if the service center itself is denying or refusing to transport or do ant warranty work, that must escalate higher. Definitely I'd say get @mcr16 or Patricia from Customer Care involved. They've both been excellent in helping communications reach the right people.

We are about three hours away from the Riviera Beach Service Center. Lucid has transported our car back and forth for warranty work about a half dozen times, most recently just last week. They have also called me twice since the last delivery just to be sure everything is okay with the car. Not only has the transport continued, they have recently added 25 Lucid loaners to their operation so that now I get a Grand Touring loaner when I want one. They even provided us a free loaner for the day when we drove the car over for non-warranty work (recalibrating the front lidar after installation of a radar/laser detector system).

Our early-production car has required quite a bit of service, but I have seen no pull back of service levels in any aspect in the 21 months we've been driving Lucids.

We are about three hours away from the Riviera Beach Service Center. Lucid has transported our car back and forth for warranty work about a half dozen times, most recently just last week. They have also called me twice since the last delivery just to be sure everything is okay with the car. Not only has the transport continued, they have recently added 25 Lucid loaners to their operation so that now I get a Grand Touring loaner when I want one. They even provided us a free loaner for the day when we drove the car over for non-warranty work (recalibrating the front lidar after installation of a radar/laser detector system).

Our early-production car has required quite a bit of service, but I have seen no pull back of service levels in any aspect in the 21 months we've been driving Lucids.
Yes, I am aware of your unfortunate series of events requiring frequent service for major issues. I hope your luck improves!

And, I'm not sure what to make of this entire situation. The manager of the service center has been great up until this point. As of yet, no additional communication from Lucid on this either. Since my issues don't prevent me from operating the car, I will wait until my 12k service before pushing back more.

I have had a real issue with the lack of Service Center openings for a long time. First, I must say that Mobile Service has been exceptional and my mobile tech out of Richmond, VA, Mason, is one of the best reps Lucid could have for their Company.

I was originally told before delivery that they would be opening a Service Center much closer to me, probably Atlanta, but potentially even in Charlotte. I have been told they were trying to hire a Charlotte-based mobile tech, but that was a year ago and I am still be serviced out of Richmond, VA, 5+ hours away.

I expect the same thing the OP was told, warranty work would be performed by Lucid, either at my location if possible or at a Service Center with Lucid arranging and paying for transit in a covered carrier. Luckily, I have only needed one such visit to a Service Center and they did just that, but that was well over a year ago. I would very much like to know if that policy has changed (@mcr16 ). Being this far away from a Service Center already has us treated somewhat second class with respect to loaners and, in my opinion, makes the Lucid offering second class to real luxury brands in my opinion. Heck, I even get a loaner when I take my son's 2015 Mini Paceman (well out of warranty) in for normal service.

On a side note, where does Lucid detail their Service locations on their site now? It seems to have changed and I cannot find it.

I love the car, but I have to be honest. In hindsight, knowing what I know now, I am not sure I would have purchased the car. I am not willing to admit defeat yet, so I drive it and enjoy it, but I pray nothing causes me to need service that requires a Service Center. I pray not to need a body shop. I do not assume I can take it on a long trip without careful planning and consideration.

Back