Lucid Nav vs Carplay Nav

momo3605

Verified Owner
Cars
718 Spyder, R1T, Air T
Referral Code
OV9HL03Y
Hey All,

Wanted to get some owner experiences about using the built-in maps vs carplay on the lucid. Coming from a Tesla, i love the built in integration of their maps with charging stations, and filters, and it's all based on Google Maps for routing and time estimates.

Carplay on the other hand, i mainly only use for Waze and cop detection when i'm in the mood, but integration of Carplay with EVs is sorely lacking. Not having the ability to search while driving is another sore spot for me with Carplay.

I guess my question is...by releasing Apple Carplay, has Lucid become lazy/taken a back seat with their own mapping software. For instance, I also hate legacy automaker nav systems from like toyota, bmw, mercedes, etc... because they are old, ugly, outdated maps, don't search POIs very well, etc...

Hey All,

Wanted to get some owner experiences about using the built-in maps vs carplay on the lucid. Coming from a Tesla, i love the built in integration of their maps with charging stations, and filters, and it's all based on Google Maps for routing and time estimates.

Carplay on the other hand, i mainly only use for Waze and cop detection when i'm in the mood, but integration of Carplay with EVs is sorely lacking. Not having the ability to search while driving is another sore spot for me with Carplay.

I guess my question is...by releasing Apple Carplay, has Lucid become lazy/taken a back seat with their own mapping software. For instance, I also hate legacy automaker nav systems from like toyota, bmw, mercedes, etc... because they are old, ugly, outdated maps, don't search POIs very well, etc...
Short answer: no.

definitely no. they have made improvements to the built-in nav system since CarPlay launch. from supporting multiple routes (not sure if this was before or after CarPlay), automatically adding charging stops etc. to name a few. any bug related to routing is HERE maps' fault from what i can tell and not with Lucid's implementation.

Hey All,

Not sure what you mean about not being able to search while driving. Siri is available while driving. Or, if you want to be distracted and type, you can also do that.

Not sure what you mean about not being able to search while driving. Siri is available while driving. Or, if you want to be distracted and type, you can also do that.
i don't like to use voice, it works < 50% of the time for me. Messaging also useless because of reliance of voice. Someone sends you a URL, and siri goes crazy announcing every damn letter in the URL UGHH lol. You also can not type in Carplay if your car is moving. If you're at a stop, the keyboard icon will pop up in Apple Maps/Waze etc...

Anyway, last thing i want to do is turn this into is yet another is carplay worth it discussion lol. I'm glad Lucid gives people the option (I don't care for it personally) but just glad to hear that Lucid is still putting in effort into improving their own navigation service and that it's competitive with Tesla/Rivian

i don't like to use voice, it works < 50% of the time for me. Messaging also useless because of reliance of voice. Someone sends you a URL, and siri goes crazy announcing every damn letter in the URL UGHH lol. You also can not type in Carplay if your car is moving. If you're at a stop, the keyboard icon will pop up in Apple Maps/Waze etc...

Anyway, last thing i want to do is turn this into is yet another is carplay worth it discussion lol. I'm glad Lucid gives people the option (I don't care for it personally) but just glad to hear that Lucid is still putting in effort into improving their own navigation service and that it's competitive with Tesla/Rivian
I exclusively use CarPlay, and am texting for work constantly while in the car. I find it to be very accurate, particularly if you slow down your speech and annunciate a little bit more clearly.

I exclusively use CarPlay, and am texting for work constantly while in the car. I find it to be very accurate, particularly if you slow down your speech and annunciate a little bit more clearly.
glad it works for you...lol when someone sends you a link or something, it doesn't bother you that it starts reading out every letter and takes a minute to read it? It's so slow...i just find it so much faster to be able to read text. Tesla messaging even lets you read the text directly on the screen when you get a text message. Anyway, i'm not expecting lucid to do anything like that, i think tesla is the only one that allows you to read messages, and who knows, our crazy regulators will probably block that at some point.

glad it works for you...lol when someone sends you a link or something, it doesn't bother you that it starts reading out every letter and takes a minute to read it? It's so slow...i just find it so much faster to be able to read text. Tesla messaging even lets you read the text directly on the screen when you get a text message. Anyway, i'm not expecting lucid to do anything like that, i think tesla is the only one that allows you to read messages, and who knows, our crazy regulators will probably block that at some point.
Yeah, you're right. Reading out a paragraph of text on a screen is a great idea while you're driving. 😀

Yeah, you're right. Reading out a paragraph of text on a screen is a great idea while you're driving. 😀
you have autopilot when you need to read paragraphs of text😂 anyway, we're way off topic, everyone gets so defensive of carplay. I have no issue with people who use it! My preference is just

modern integrated UX(Tesla/Rivian) -> Carplay -> Legacy automaker junk

Also if you don't mind my asking, what do you do for charge routing or locating chargers/preconditioning? Can you still use carplay? Or switch over to Lucid Maps? Do you use carplay maps when you don't have to charge, and then lucid maps when you do have to charge?

I really like the Lucid native navigation -- I think the maps look great and I haven't had any trouble navigating at all -- I've used it quite a bit in the last 3 weeks!

The last thing I would want other drivers doing is staring at the screen and reading a text message while driving. This is precisely why CarPlay is audio only.

you have autopilot when you need to read paragraphs of text😂 anyway, we're way off topic, everyone gets so defensive of carplay. I have no issue with people who use it! My preference is just

modern integrated UX(Tesla/Rivian) -> Carplay -> Legacy automaker junk

Also if you don't mind my asking, what do you do for charge routing or locating chargers/preconditioning? Can you still use carplay? Or switch over to Lucid Maps? Do you use carplay maps when you don't have to charge, and then lucid maps when you do have to charge?
Simply tap the ”precondition now” button if you would like to precondition before charging while not using navigation.

you have autopilot when you need to read paragraphs of text😂 anyway
You know people die every day doing exactly this, right? Yes, even those with the "amazing" autopilot, which actively tried to kill me every time I ever used it.

You know people die every day doing exactly this, right? Yes, even those with the "amazing" autopilot, which actively tried to kill me every time I ever used it.
Autopilot tried to kill you? I feel like you hate teslas more than you like the Lucid at this point man. Always pulling them down every chance you get.

Back to the thread, Lucid's backend is not Google Maps (Tesla is) based which I think the general world agrees is the best backend. The rate in which maps loads while scrolling or routing is much slower than Tesla's approach. However, I am interested in Lucid continuing to improve this GUI as I too believe native software is much better. Hell, I have lived in a new community for about 6 months now and the Lucid still can't find my address (yes I know its not a direct Lucid problem but Lucid chose HERE integration). Google maps has no issues though so scheduled charging at the home location has been hit or miss.

Sure we have carplay but I also have a giant screen next to me that Carplay cant use. Hopefully we will eventually see a transition to Google maps.

you have autopilot when you need to read paragraphs of text😂
No, you don't. You have 'autopilot' for when you are still fully paying attention but not feeling like you want to steer. Please don't text and drive.

Autopilot tried to kill you? I feel like you hate teslas more than you like the Lucid at this point man. Always pulling them down every chance you get.

Back to the thread, Lucid's backend is not Google Maps (Tesla is) based which I think the general world agrees is the best backend. The rate in which maps loads while scrolling or routing is much slower than Tesla's approach. However, I am interested in Lucid continuing to improve this GUI as I too believe native software is much better. Hell, I have lived in a new community for about 6 months now and the Lucid still can't find my address (yes I know its not a direct Lucid problem but Lucid chose HERE integration). Google maps has no issues though so scheduled charging at the home location has been hit or miss.

Sure we have carplay but I also have a giant screen next to me that Carplay cant use. Hopefully we will eventually see a transition to Google maps.
Thank you! Yes, i wasn't going to reply. It's nonsense, autopilot is the best ADAS in the business, and i've used systems from many OEMs.

My Rivian uses TomTom for the backend, which also has it's fair share of issues LOL. Usually it fails to understand the actual entrance to a parking lot, and will navigate to the wrong corner of the destination. I don't know why everyone doesn't just use google by default. But thank you for the thoughtful response. It's very helpful. But even with that

Careful. Autopilot has also tried to run me into vehicles and/or short stop in front of other vehicles, so yes, I would say it tried to kill me. It did not succeed, thankfully, nor was it intentional, but that statement is true, if hyperbolic.

Also, this isn't about Tesla; has nothing to do with Tesla. You brought that up.

This is about the fact that Tesla's Autopilot does not do hands-free driving and is not a hands-free Level 3 system, and as such, requires the user to pay attention at all times and not text and drive.

People die every day from texting and driving. That was the point.

Hell, I have lived in a new community for about 6 months now and the Lucid still can't find my address (yes I know its not a direct Lucid problem but Lucid chose HERE integration). Google maps has no issues though so scheduled charging at the home location has been hit or miss.
Have you considered either contributing or providing them with feedback? Maybe you have already...

Sure we have carplay but I also have a giant screen next to me that Carplay cant use.
That is a CarPlay limitation at present, not something Lucid can do anything about until the next version of CarPlay.

Thank you! Yes, i wasn't going to reply. It's nonsense, autopilot is the best ADAS in the business, and i've used systems from many OEMs.
This is actually not the point; you may very well be right. I'm not arguing autopilot sucks. That isn't the intent.

I am arguing, that autopilot is not a hands-free level 3 system and you need to be paying attention and ready to take over at any time.

All of which is true, and has nothing to do with your love of Tesla, Autopilot, or anything else.

Do not text and drive, even with autopilot. That is one of the most common reasons people die, and you endanger not only yourself and the passengers in your vehicle, but also the lives of anyone in a vehicle you hit. It's pretty simple to not text and drive, and there are countless ways to still be communicative if you have to be; pretending that autopilot is some panacea is not that way, as it isn't.

I hope that's clear enough. I don't want to rehash this again.

This is actually not the point; you may very well be right. I'm not arguing autopilot sucks. That isn't the intent.

I am arguing, that autopilot is not a hands-free level 3 system and you need to be paying attention and ready to take over at any time.

All of which is true, and has nothing to do with your love of Tesla, Autopilot, or anything else.

Do not text and drive, even with autopilot. It's pretty simple.
Why are all you moderators so aggressive and defensive? I'm looking at the comments in this thread...the only helpful comments have been from everyone except you 3 mods that jumped in here to battle about how Teslas kill people.

Tesla says it's safe to read messages and type addresses on the screen. So, that's their choice. Apple made their own choice of what's safe. It's not up to you to tell people which features of their car they should or should not be allowed to use.

I think we can take a pause on the bashing, i got what i needed about the usability of Lucid Maps from other helpful people in this forum. Thanks!

Back