Here Maps Versus Other Options

erivaldoff

Cars
Air Pure
Love the car but the nav maps is awful. What’s is stopping Lucid from implementing Google Maps to their vehicles? They don’t have the budget to pay Google Maps API? Lack of engineers to implement it? Can’t get away from a bad partnership deal with Here Maps?

I tried CarPlay and I have bad experience so far. Hoping for one day they integrate Gmaps

Love the car but the nav maps is awful. What’s is stopping Lucid from implementing Google Maps to their vehicles? They don’t have the budget to pay Google Maps API? Lack of engineers to implement it? Can’t get away from a bad partnership deal with Here Maps?

I tried CarPlay and I have bad experience so far. Hoping for one day they integrate Gmaps
No one truly knows, but what's wrong with your CarPlay?

No one truly knows, but what's wrong with your CarPlay?
Can input address from lucid screen, iphone (15 pro) gets super hot and leggy, when I turn right or left the gps screen does not rotate. I disabled CarPlay for now

Can input address from lucid screen, iphone (15 pro) gets super hot and leggy, when I turn right or left the gps screen does not rotate. I disabled CarPlay for now
Paging @Bobby , because that is not my experience with CarPlay

You can input your address from the CarPlay screen, or use voice. I also have a 15 promax and it doesn't get hot at all. Where are you keeping it? In the built-in charger? It would be better to not do that… Maybe plug it in and put it in a place that has a little more ventilation. CarPlay has two different views on mapping, the overall trip map, and the turn by turn map. The turn by turn map will move to the left or right as necessary. You probably are in the wrong mode. Simply tap the upper right hand corner of the screen and you will see an icon to toggle the view. I have been using CarPlay since it was first released on the car and it keeps getting better. In fact, it has improved my overall enjoyment of the car because I am not a big fan of the built-in navigation or audio.

Your phone may also be heating up if one of the third-party apps installed is using a lot of processing power and therefore battery. Check your CarPlay screen in the phone settings to make sure that any apps that you don't use are uninstalled. Make sure you don't have apps running that disrespect the battery, such as Facebook etc. Quit those while using CarPlay. Better yet, delete them entirely.

I have used HERE nav constantly and I don't think it is as bad as people think it is. Sure, it is nowhere near Tesla's route planning and nav, but useful. It could be your use cases are different from mine.

I haven't had any phone heat issues since getting the TWRAPS magsafe charger. Poor alignment can make wireless chargers produce excess heat (and a slower charge), which is why magsafe makes such a difference. The built-in wireless charger was actually making my CarPlay more laggy because my phone was overheating and slowing down.

Love the car but the nav maps is awful. What’s is stopping Lucid from implementing Google Maps to their vehicles? ... Hoping for one day they integrate Gmaps
#6 of the top ten software wishlist items. https://www.lucidupdates.com/surveys/wishlistresults.html
We also sorely miss having native Google maps on the Air, and don't care to use Carplay, nor Android Auto if it were available.

I don't think the reason is cost, as a number of mid-market brands already have, or will soon have, native Google maps and navigation.
Some luxury brands too - BMW and Porsche have both announced their switch.

Last edited:
#6 of the top ten software wishlist items. https://www.lucidupdates.com/surveys/wishlistresults.html
We also sorely miss having native Google maps on the Air, and don't care to use Carplay, nor Android Auto if it were available.

I don't think the reason is cost, as a number of mid-market brands already have, or will soon have, native Google maps and navigation.
Some luxury brands too - BMW and Porsche have both announced their switch.
Interesting that BWM is moving away from Here Maps because they’re one of the owners with Audi, Mercedes group

I found Google Maps on my iPhone 15 Max to be very laggy when using CarPlay if the phone is in the built in charger. Moving it out of the charger and onto the center armrest, solved the lag. As a result, I purchased the TWraps charger. No lag but if I use Google Maps, the map keeps zooming in and out when navigating. This does not happen with Apple Maps.

Here Maps is a giant POS and ALL software engineers working on vehicle software know it. The issue is that HERE Maps has a hold on being the most “data accurate” (what they advertise) EV charger Point Of Interest service in the industry (I’ve challenged this with success at my job).

Their SDKs are absolute trash and I quite literally have nothing good to say about them.

The industry as a whole is moving to Android Automotive (for better or worse). This is will go away in time.

Googles terms of use will be sure of that.

First time I flipped on satellite and this is what I saw in Orange County near the ocean. Why would they allow satellite imagery to have this much cloud cover/marine layer implemented into their maps? I’m getting used to interface but this seemed like a lack of attention to detail.
IMG_5343.jpeg

First time I flipped on satellite and this is what I saw in Orange County near the ocean. Why would they allow satellite imagery to have this much cloud cover/marine layer implemented into their maps? I’m getting used to interface but this seemed like a lack of attention to detail.
View attachment 20153
In the car or app? The app does not look that way for me.

I have used HERE nav constantly and I don't think it is as bad as people think it is. Sure, it is nowhere near Tesla's route planning and nav, but useful. It could be your use cases are different from mine.
I agree with you. The main thing that annoys me about it won't default to previous addresses you've entered, and sometimes it gives some strange navigation directions, but it always does get me to a destination. Occasionally, like today, it even picked a faster route than Google Maps did. (I checked the phone before driving.)

The one problem I have with Apple Maps is when not in navigation mode, the map keeps flipping 90 deg back and forth. It works fine when navigating to a particular destination but otherwise this happens. Somewhat disconcerting.
And yes occasionally Car Play still cuts off right in the middle of a trip and I have to scramble to get it back on or switch to the native Lucid map to finish my trip.

The one problem I have with Apple Maps is when not in navigation mode, the map keeps flipping 90 deg back and forth. It works fine when navigating to a particular destination but otherwise this happens. Somewhat disconcerting.
And yes occasionally Car Play still cuts off right in the middle of a trip and I have to scramble to get it back on or switch to the native Lucid map to finish my trip.
Yeah, that flipping around drives me nuts, too. Has to be some sort of GPS glitch. Doesn't happen all the time, but at certain intersections it seems to happen a lot.

Back