life of the battery

grtlooks

Cars
lucid touring
Does anyone have any idea how many miles before we might need to change the battery. I had the motor tech out the other day for something else, and asked him how much a new battery would cost. He said between 40 - 50 thousand dollars. That's a lot of trump change. Given that there is a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery, which is good, but what happens once you reach 101,000 miles and the battery goes out????

Most likely the whole battery will not fail and you will probably just need a battery pack replaced which would be substantially cheaper.

Does anyone have any idea how many miles before we might need to change the battery. I had the motor tech out the other day for something else, and asked him how much a new battery would cost. He said between 40 - 50 thousand dollars. That's a lot of trump change. Given that there is a 100,000 mile warranty on the battery, which is good, but what happens once you reach 101,000 miles and the battery goes out????
Then, the Murphy's Law stays strong with you.
Stay home for as long as you can to avoid it :)

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Once early Tesla Model S's began to accumulate mileage, it began to become apparent that engineering projections about battery life had been far too conservative. One of the early signs was the Amsterdam Airport taxi fleet that ran Teslas 24 hours a day and constantly charged them fully at DC charging stations -- practices that tend to stress the batteries most. As those cars began to pass the 200,000km mark on their odometers with relatively little loss in charging capacity, optimism grew that li-ion batteries with good battery management systems would be considerably more durable than predicted.

As data has continued to come in, studies are now finding that car batteries with good management systems (such as Tesla's and Lucid's) are likely to last the life of the rest of the car. There is a minor decline in charging capacity that occurs in the first months of use, but the degradation curve then significantly flattens, and several years out the battery packs seem to be stabilizing in the range of 7-8% loss in charge capacity.

Will they eventually wear out? Yes . . . but probably long before most owners have moved on to another vehicle.

In fact, Lucid, Tesla, and other car companies are already developing plans to redeploy battery packs from retired cars to energy storage use by power utilities.

Mine lasted 13,000 miles so there’s that data point…

I just learned that batteries in California are warrantied for 10 years or 150,000 miles. This is perfect because I’m planning on keeping my car for 10 years, which is 3 times longer than I’ve kept any car.

Mine lasted 13,000 miles so there’s that data point…

That sounds like something arising from a battery pack defect, not inherent degradation . . . and something that will be handled under warranty.

The battery pack failed in our 2015 Tesla Model S a couple of years after purchase, also taking out the rear drive unit. Both were replaced under warranty. Such things will occasionally happen with cars, such as the transmission failure I had in a new Jaguar, the brake-by-wire system failure in a year-old Mercedes SL55 AMG, and the constant going into limp mode I experienced with a new Corvette.

I wouldn't worry too much about this.

Once early Tesla Model S's began to accumulate mileage, it began to become apparent that engineering projections about battery life had been far too conservative. One of the early signs was the Amsterdam Airport taxi fleet that ran Teslas 24 hours a day and constantly charged them fully at DC charging stations -- practices that tend to stress the batteries most. As those cars began to pass the 200,000km mark on their odometers with relatively little loss in charging capacity, optimism grew that li-ion batteries with good battery management systems would be considerably more durable than predicted.

As data has continued to come in, studies are now finding that car batteries with good management systems (such as Tesla's and Lucid's) are likely to last the life of the rest of the car. There is a minor decline in charging capacity that occurs in the first months of use, but the degradation curve then significantly flattens, and several years out the battery packs seem to be stabilizing in the range of 7-8% loss in charge capacity.

Will they eventually wear out? Yes . . . but probably long before most owners have moved on to another vehicle.

In fact, Lucid, Tesla, and other car companies are already developing plans to redeploy battery packs from retired cars to energy storage use by power utilities.
Excellent post.

That sounds like something arising from a battery pack defect, not inherent degradation . . . and something that will be handled under warranty.

The battery pack failed in our 2015 Tesla Model S a couple of years after purchase, also taking out the rear drive unit. Both were replaced under warranty. Such things will occasionally happen with cars, such as the transmission failure I had in a new Jaguar, the brake-by-wire system failure in a year-old Mercedes SL55 AMG, and the constant going into limp mode I experienced with a new Corvette.
Yes it was a defect in the pack, I expect these things being a beta tester of a brand new very early production car from a brand new company. So there will be no knashing of teeth and rending of garments as Lucid service has been exemplary so far. I just got my car back from Nantick with a new front drive unit a few hours ago. They also did the one year service. Can’t wait to hop in tomorrow. They even adjusted the trim gap between the frunk and charge port on my request

Battery may cost high now bc supply and demand is lopsided with lithium and cobalt minerals limited supply. But 10 years down the road, it will be cheaper than today’s price (inflation adjusted) because of higher mining and production rate. And EVs will be much cheaper overall. I wouldn’t worry about it 10 years down the road as you will probably have driven 250k+ miles to get money’s worth driving in enjoyment and fuel cost saving. Cheaper future battery cost will just be icing on that ownership period.

EV batteries are rated for 1500 - 3000 charging cycles. Since I add around 50% each time I charge, and I get 3 miles/Kw, my battery will last an estimated 252000 to 504000 miles. That far exceeds the miles I will drive in the Lucid.
GeoTab-fast-charging-chart.jpg

My bad. I meant to write, "but probably long after most owners have moved on to another vehicle."

EV batteries are rated for 1500 - 3000 charging cycles. Since I add around 50% each time I charge, and I get 3 miles/Kw, my battery will last an estimated 252000 to 504000 miles. That far exceeds the miles I will drive in the Lucid.
GeoTab-fast-charging-chart.jpg
Curious, if you're adding 50% each time you charge, how often are you charging on average per week?

I just learned that batteries in California are warrantied for 10 years or 150,000 miles. This is perfect because I’m planning on keeping my car for 10 years, which is 3 times longer than I’ve kept any car.
This is often repeated but is untrue. That CA warranty law only applies to hybrids, not zero emission vehicles like the Lucid.

BEVs are not a subset of PZEVs. Thus there is no 10/150 requirement for pure BEVs. If there were, Lucid’s HV battery warranty doc would have to reflect that, and it doesn’t.

There is an effort underway to change this, although the proposed changes wouldn’t take effect until 2026.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2021-12/draft zev warranty 1962.8.pdf

This is often repeated but is untrue. That CA warranty law only applies to hybrids, not zero emission vehicles like the Lucid.

BEVs are not a subset of PZEVs. Thus there is no 10/150 requirement for pure BEVs. If there were, Lucid’s HV battery warranty doc would have to reflect that, and it doesn’t.

There is an effort underway to change this, although the proposed changes wouldn’t take effect until 2026.

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/2021-12/draft zev warranty 1962.8.pdf
I’m confused. Are you saying that the battery warranty isn’t 10 years or 150k miles in California?

I’m confused. Are you saying that the battery warranty isn’t 10 years or 150k miles in California?
Correct. It is not.

EV technology is still developing quickly. Eight years is a long time to own one.

Back