Would you rather have more range or lighter weight?

OCDC

Verified Owner
Supporting Member
Cars
V60 Polestar, AGT
Seems Mercedes is ready to launch an electric SUV using silicon anode battery tech next year. If the 450Wh/kg vs. 270Wh/kg of battery capacity pans out, would you rather have a next gen Lucid Air go 700+ miles or weigh ~400lbs less?

Seems Mercedes is ready to launch an electric SUV using silicon anode battery tech next year. If the 450Wh/kg vs. 270Wh/kg of battery capacity pans out, would you rather have a next gen Lucid Air go 700+ miles or weigh ~400lbs less?

I want good range, real 450 miles, and much faster charging.

I actually really like the current compromise. My body doesn't like to drive from more than 300 or 400 miles anyway. It's nice to have a break… Get out, stretch, have a bite to eat. We all need to slow down sometimes!

Depends what compromises are necessary to get there. HP, torque, suspension, steering, etc. Range is nice and all other things close to being equal I would, of course, opt for the bigger range. But all things are never close to being equal.

I don't do a lot of long trips so for me, I gave up some range to get Nappa seats, 483 HP, etc on my Genesis GV60.

I rather want to see more DCFC stations and all EVs eventually get 400+ miles as standard, 300 miles as economy grade.

My commute is brutal for efficiency. It’s all stoplights and valleys and hills (oh my). I think in my case, I’d want the same capacity and less weight because the city efficiency would go up. Plus the lower curb weight would take the already excellent dynamics and turn them up to 11. Imagine a GTP saddled with 400-500lbs less… 🤤🤤

I rather see each EV company gradually put up 1B to make its own DCFC network for their own clients free juice and then sell juice to other brands instead of spend frivolously on improving battery and drivetrain efficiency.

MB and Ford mandate their dealerships must install at least couple charging stalls each. So is Rivian doing it Rivian Adventure Network DCFC. To me, that is responsible electrification.

I rather see each EV company gradually put up 1B to make its own DCFC network for their own clients free juice and then sell juice to other brands instead of spend frivolously on improving battery and drivetrain efficiency.

MB and Ford mandate their dealerships must install at least couple charging stalls each. So is Rivian doing it Rivian Adventure Network DCFC. To me, that is responsible electrification.

You’re probably right about chasing efficiency; there are diminishing returns in electric drive and aerodynamics because they’re already really good for the given task. You also bring up another good topic about infrastructure, and by extension power generation specifically. I’d love to see a thread or two on the GWh’s of new generation and distribution we’ll need someday. SDG&E is already charging more for the middle of the night hours to charge vehicles because they’re becoming that popular in SoCal.

Back to battery tech though, it’s going to happen organically. There are lots of research projects happening outside of car companies (some inside also) to make them more power and energy dense. As they become available, car manufacturers will fold them into the new product cycles.

I actually really like the current compromise. My body doesn't like to drive from more than 300 or 400 miles anyway. It's nice to have a break… Get out, stretch, have a bite to eat. We all need to slow down sometimes!

Also a lighter car may not feel as sturdy and stable. I assume the driving dynamics would also be affected.

Although it varies by driving habits and the vehicle make and model, generally, an EV loses less of its energy efficiency. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, “an EV loses between 15 and 20 percent of energy when driving, while an ICE vehicle loses 64 to 75 percent.”

The median value going from ICE to EV is 70% loss to 17% loss, that is 53% improvement. That is a lot of energy saved to drive EV + regenerative braking. Instead of focusing 17% to to improve to 10% loss, or from 10% loss to 8% loss thru drivetrain and aerodynamic improvements, why not focus those effort on improving other areas of break-thru such as energy delivery in DCFC, or enhance UX.

Efficiency enthusiasts may be laughing at Rivian R1S 2.2 mi/kWh or Hummer EV 1.6 moving heavy 7000 lbs and 10,000 lbs respectively, but if you factoring in weight, it’s actually not that bad. With my not so light on accelerator driving style, I get 3.0 mi/kWh life on 5200 lb AGT. I just need to drive same style on R1S of 3.0 mi/kWh * [(7000-5200)/5200] = 1.97 mi/kWh to be par with Air. It’s not too much difference. If you extrapolate Bolt and Model 3 and look at their EPA MPGe number is basically the same as Air. 120 MPGe, 123 MPGe vs AGT 122 MPGe. So I’m not too crazy about 1% ~ 5% less energy loss improvement just as I thought 0-60 3.0sec is good enough vs 0-60 2.6sec performance. Just driving EV itself already save a lot of emission. One should focus on other parallel offset such as adopt renewable energy generation.

Last edited:
One should focus on other parallel offset such as adopt renewable energy generation.
Wholeheartedly agree. The societal endgame should be 100% non-polluting renewables for all our power needs. Along the way though, there will be many incremental improvements in both consumption and generation. I wanted to share my excitement about those changes.

Range is more important for me. I like the option of my gas car to travel from SF to LA without requiring filling up tank. I do stop for breaks, but its nice having the option to not have to charge (Don't need to worry about if there is a line or non functioning chargers) during that break and charge up when I reach my destination instead.

Range is more important for me. I like the option of my gas car to travel from SF to LA without requiring filling up tank. I do stop for breaks, but its nice having the option to not have to charge (Don't need to worry about if there is a line or non functioning chargers) during that break and charge up when I reach my destination instead.
I like the fact that I can visit my family up in Santa Clarita from San Diego, going there and back without worrying about charging until I get home. I even had 140 left.

Good thing you can do this already in the Air 😁

I'll take range. 500+ would get me up to gasoline powered range. I would be less inclined to pay more for over 500.

Good thing you can do this already in the Air 😁
I haven't tried yet with my Touring, but I'm most likely going to charge somewhere in between since I doubt I'd get the epa range and I'm not prepared to go from 100% to 0%. The GT was outside of my budget, maybe that trim can comfortably do that trip without charging.

Last edited:
I mean, if it weighed less it would have a bit more range. Just not like 700.

I haven't tried yet with my Touring, but I'm most likely going to charge somewhere in between since I doubt I'd get the epa range and I'm not prepared to go from 100% to 0%. The GT was outside of my budget, maybe that trim can comfortably do that trip without charging.
Yea if you stop in either kettleman (good tacos) or Harris ranch (good burger) doesn't make a difference, you might as well charge.

Yea if you stop in either kettleman (good tacos) or Harris ranch (good burger) doesn't make a difference, you might as well charge.
Thanks, usually when we stop at kettlemen for bathroom break we get in n out. I'll have to try out the taco place. I read somewhere there is a mexican place next to the EA chargers, is that the one?

Back