"Practical" range on road trips is about 50% of EPA estimate for most EVs

I am a new jersey resident, and it is alien to me how high the speed limits are in much of the west US. For us, going 65 is already above the speed limit, and would likely net an Air about 4.4-4.6 mi/kwh(about 490-515 miles of range on a 19 GT). Then I read how people go in the 90s and sometimes 100s and I get confused, as that does not exist here.

It is no fun getting gapped by a Toyota Sienna with 6 kids and a rabid BMW driver honking and flashing the highs 1 foot behind your bumper though, I agree. 😂
It’s OK, the other day I got passed by a Sienna doing 100 and I was going 95 😂😂😂. Gotta watch those Sienna people.

Power to propel an object at a given speed increases with the cube of speed. (~ increased force with speed* increased speed)
Energy to move an object a given distance increases with the square of speed (~ increased power with speed * decreased time)
I'm glad someone finally made this point: that the power required is proportional to V³, not V². Thank you!

I'm glad someone finally made this point: that the power required is proportional to V³, not V². Thank you!
Right, aero drag force is proportional to V², so power = force * velocity = V³
Energy = power * time, but time to cover a given distance is proportional to 1/V, so energy required to cover a given distance only increases with V².

"model year 1978 cars with government rated fuel efficiency of 27.5 miles per gallon achieved only 19 miles per gallon on the road, a shortfall of 30 percent that is essentially the same shortfall that occurs today."
1707289136859.png

Goodhart's Law: "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure."
This applies to EPA mileage tests: manufacturers configure their cars to perform well on the tests. Performing well in the real world is a different problem.

Why only 2.5 hours? Is that to stay in the 20-80% range?

Thank you - this is really helpful for us EV newbies who will be trying eventually to do things like DFW to Durango, CO and such lol
The Denton to Amarillo leg is lean on chargers, everywhere else you should be good. I take the time to go to 100% for that leg. Don't be afraid to try and charge at dealerships. It can be hit or miss, but I've found most to be friendly and interested in the Lucid. I like to stay between 30-80%. For long trips I like to have a back up plan for each charging location and 30% gives more options. Also, for legs that are longer, average charge rate from 80-90% is about 65kW. Sometimes it is worth the extra 10-12 minutes to go to 90%. I'm a fan of having an adapter to make use of Tesla destination chargers. Sometimes that's all that is available at a hotel. Nothing beats being able to charge overnight.

Goodhart's Law: "When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure."
This applies to EPA mileage tests: manufacturers configure their cars to perform well on the tests. Performing well in the real world is a different problem.
VW: "Are you talking to me? Well I'm the only one here ... are you talking to me?"

Back