iOS 16 - CarPlay

As to Porsche and CarPlay, I generally have good luck with CarPlay, and it is far superior to Porsche's system. However, it occasionally refuses to connect to my iPhone so I have to pull over, turn off the car, and restart the car. I have reported the issue to Porsche but they seem uninterested. As for the integration, that is also an issue. I agree with you that that does not work the way it should. But all of that is a Porsche problem.

As for the difference between CarPlay and Porsche's navigation system, CarPlay is far superior. I have actually instances where a traffic light was installed on Tuesday and it popped up on my map on Wednesday. Another thing that's great about CarPlay is that it shows traffic lights and stop signs. This makes it really easy to follow the map. Instead of looking for a specific street name that is coming up, I'm looking for "three traffic lights ahead" for example. I find Apple's CarPlay to be nothing short of fantastic. That said, Porsche's navigation system doesn't integrate with CarPlay so CarPlay's information does not appear on the heads up display, etc. I also get messages from CarPlay that say things like "after the next parking lot turn right." It is that kind of detail that impresses me.
One thing to keep in mind is this is not Apple that has figured it out. It is more that they are a technology company. CarPlay is excellent, but so is Android Auto. I tend to swap between both ecosystems every few years. They both have positive and negative aspects. I love the open-ness of Android, but it also makes things more likely to be a bit sketchy.

The interesting thing with Android Auto is that many automakers are changing their infotainment systems to be Android Automotive (not to be confused with Android Auto :) ) based.The following automakers all use it:

Rivian, Lucid, Polestar (with google automotive services), Volvo (With google automotive services), Dodge, Chrylser, Maserati, Chevy (with google automotive services), cadillac (with google automotive services), GMC (with google automotive services)

The ones with GAS are more "complete" integrations and allow running Play Store apps on them. Ours is technically Android Automotive based, but they have hacked the hell out of it :)

“This is more of an Apple operating system for automotive applications rather than a CarPlay upgrade. We have not made any announcements regarding that system.”

Microsoft didn’t bother to build new PC, but it decided to has MS-DOS and Windows95 adopted by all 8068 descendant chip processors.

Apple is following that path. Basically these EVs are just PC with wheels. Some brands are more like Commodore64 instead of Compaq or Hewlett-Packard.

Microsoft didn’t bother to build new PC, but it decided to has MS-DOS and Windows95 adopted by all 8068 descendant chip processors.

Apple is following that path. Basically these EVs are just PC with wheels. Some brands are more like Commodore64 instead of Compaq or Hewlett-Packard.
Not really. That’s not how Apple treats this and the quote being noted is fairly inaccurate (likely some ill informed non engineer rep). The car is really just a reporting mechanism with a screen. The phone is the computer. Apple follow the robotic core approach and the phone is the core in this case, everything else is augmentation.

Interesting point. If infotainment, dials, controls are all through Apple CarPlay the distinction between brands may be watered down… buy a BMW or a Honda and the UI gives you the same (Apple) experience. In that case to what degree do the cars become more commoditized? Different brands will obviously still look, perform, and handle differently, so it’s not the same thing as Windows laptops (buy a Compaq, Dell, Gateway and the experience is essentially the same), but the quality of the digital experience seems to be becoming more and more important to car buyers.
I’m glad you said this. It will rob the vehicle of personality built into the UI. Maybe I’m in the minority but I like Lucid’s UI much better than CarPlay’s icon/cartoon color interface. Lucid only fails at reliable implementation of software functions, the actual interface is mostly cleaner and more intuitive once you get used to it then the usual scrolling through pages of apps/icons which I hate. Have you guys noticed the graphic fades when you slide a window back up to the glass cockpit from the pilot panel, or hide or unhide the pilot panel? The screen shades out in the same direction of the swipe and looks like a quick sunrise or sunset depending on the direction of your swipe. Plus light to dark gradation from the bottom to the top of the central screen is subtle but gorgeous. I think Lucid crushes the graphic design part of the interface, superior to all other carmakers I’ve seen so far. It’s just the damn buggy bits that are the turd in the punch bowl. Lucid manages to give you key car functions (vehicle, climate, openings, charging) with easy to remember/identify icons so you’re never side scrolling through piles of icons, plus the dedicated wiper/light/lock icons on the left are genius. Those design/function layout aspects are way better than this new CarPlay coming out next year. Even Tidal’s interface is better on the Lucid than CarPlay, which isn’t searchable and would crap out half the time on my Mercedes.

Last edited:
Yes, right.which will come first? My car I confirmed in November or CarPlay? LOL 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I’m glad you said this. It will rob the vehicle of personality built into the UI. Maybe I’m in the minority but I like Lucid’s UI much better than CarPlay’s icon/cartoon color interface. Lucid only fails at reliable implementation of software functions, the actual interface is mostly cleaner and more intuitive once you get used to it then the usual scrolling through pages of apps/icons which I hate. Have you guys noticed the graphic fades when you slide a window back up to the glass cockpit from the pilot panel, or hide or unhide the pilot panel? The screen shades out in the same direction of the swipe and looks like a quick sunrise or sunset depending on the direction of your swipe. Plus light to dark gradation from the bottom to the top of the central screen is subtle but gorgeous. I think Lucid crushes the graphic design part of the interface, superior to all other carmakers I’ve seen so far. It’s just the damn buggy bits that are the turd in the punch bowl. Lucid manages to give you key car functions (vehicle, climate, openings, charging) with easy to remember/identify icons so you’re never side scrolling through piles of icons, plus the dedicated wiper/light/lock icons on the left are genius. Those design/function layout aspects are way better than this new CarPlay coming out next year. Even Tidal’s interface is better on the Lucid than CarPlay, which isn’t searchable and would crap out half the time on my Mercedes.

My feelings are ambivalent about CarPlay too. I understand and appreciate its utility when I’m in a rental car, but otherwise I want my own personal car‘s UI or “MCDU” in Tesla-speak, to do the work of making my driving experience as integrated and as seamless as possible.

Also, I‘m not keen on the CarPlay’s aesthetics, and I’m also not keen on the idea of my mobile phone being so tethered to my car. Seems somehow unnatural. Almost wrong, even.

My feelings are ambivalent about CarPlay too. I understand and appreciate its utility when I’m in a rental car, but otherwise I want my own personal car‘s UI or “MCDU” in Tesla-speak, to do the work of making my driving experience as integrated and as seamless as possible.

Also, I‘m not keen on the CarPlay’s aesthetics, and I’m also not keen on the idea of my mobile phone being so tethered to my car. Seems somehow unnatural. Almost wrong, even.
I agree completely, but it would be nice to have both. I’m 90% sure that I’m still going to pop in my AirPods and use Waze anyways.

Yeah, I can see that point of view. But I feel the exact opposite. To me, my phone has all my personal stuff, set up exactly like I want already. I don't need to set up a completely different device (my car) to access the things I already have so painstakingly curated in my pocket.

I want my phone to be my single source of truth, in other words.

Sure, the UI needs to be different, because driving is not the same as talking on the phone. But all the data, apps, etc. that are familiar to me I just want access to in my car, rather than having to worry about sending the things I need in my car from my phone to the car. If someone sends me an invite to a party, I want that destination all ready to go when I launch my navigation app. If I download sixteen hours of podcasts for a roadtrip, I want to just stream them from my phone, not having to worry about losing connection. And so on.

I also would much prefer a unique and aesthetic lucid interface. My car is not my phone and I personally don’t need it to have all the functions my phone has. I absolutely would not want those ticky tack little rounded cartoon icons with zero customization and a hodge podge of bright and clashing colors to invade the beautiful current presentation. If the lucid UI was a multiple small square icons based design, then maybe. But as it is, I just imagine it would be so jarring that I’d hate it until I got used to it, at which point I will have been brainwashed into accepting a lesser state.

That being said, there is obviously huge demand and agree that a car at this price should probably have it as an option for those who want it.

For me, CarPlay is a deal killer. If Lucid can't get CarPlay to work on the Lucid I will get rid of the car. It would demonstrate an inability to incorporate what every quality car has on it today and a lack of commitment by Lucid. I currently use CarPlay on my Porsche and it far exceeds any system I have seen by any car manufacturer. A car this expensive without CarPlay is crazy.
Did you get rid of your Lucid yet?

I’m 100% convinced Apple is holding up Lucid from a CarPlay release atm, but not for the reason others think. I’m willing to put money down Lucid is aiming to partner at delivering an iOS 16 CarPlay experience at the start of next year. As to how smoothly this will go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

I’m 100% convinced Apple is holding up Lucid from a CarPlay release atm, but not for the reason others think. I’m willing to put money down Lucid is aiming to partner at delivering an iOS 16 CarPlay experience at the start of next year. As to how smoothly this will go ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .
Okay wtf do you know with a drop like that...time to take up the bet, if you lose you can only say that Android is better than iOS 🤣

That may be the case, but Lucid all but promised Android Auto and Apple CarPlay by the end of this year. Over promised and under delivered, Lucid in a nutshell.

That may be the case, but Lucid all but promised Android Auto and Apple CarPlay by the end of this year. Over promised and under delivered, Lucid in a nutshell.
I always thought Lucid would release Android Auto first simply because of the synergies with the Android Automotive operating system. I would gladly switch back to Android if that occurs. Either way, looks like our hopes of an end of year drop were in vain.

Sweeping generalizations like yours are against the guidelines of this forum. I agree the CarPlay is delayed, and I am really looking forward to it and also disappointed it did not make it by the end of the year, but your last sentence is unnecessary. Please try to maintain a civil tone.

Sweeping generalizations like yours are against the guidelines of this forum. I agree the CarPlay is delayed, and I am really looking forward to it and also disappointed it did not make it by the end of the year, but your last sentence is unnecessary. Please try to maintain a civil tone.
Agreed. It’s best to get CP/AA released in a stable state vs rushing it out and having it be flaky or affect performance of other aspects of the UI and subsequently suffer the wrath of angry customers!

@Bobby, with respect, I think you can make an argument that the majority of the posts here violate some rule if you dissect them enough. One of the rules is shilling, but I’ve never seen that called out. His last sentence has been used in this forum countless times and I’m trying to understand why this time it is being called out as a violation? I appreciate everything you do for people, but I’m concerned that over policing speech in the place of debate is becoming increasingly common. For the record, I don’t even agree with the last sentence.

If I were Lucid and still had CarPlay to work on and then saw what Apple did with iOS 16 I would’ve halted all development, contacted Apple to see what needed to be done for the new CarPlay. I’ve been mid project before when we’ve seen a new release at which point we’ve cut our losses, scrapped the original plan and focused on the new, because if we stuck to the original plan the system would’ve been outdated the day we released.

I doubt this is the case though given Lucid has been trying to get it out ASAP so probably just bugs or something that’s holding it up. We could be surprised but don’t get your hopes up people for new CarPlay.

Back