• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

iOS 16 - CarPlay

Anyone speak to anyone at Lucid to see if they are adopting this? I wonder if they would let Apple take over the full screen...
The only context I'm aware of that someone can legitimately get an answer for something like this is the shareholders meeting (there's one on the 9th I believe). Otherwise, I've never seen the influencer employees interact in these forums or other relevant forums. The DAs are absolutely not going to be able to help with this as an FYI (so please don't bug them).

This is CarPlay as today with more functionality/information and a much fancier UI. The phone mirrors content communicated to/from the car. Apple does not provide any form of embedded OS like software for car manufactures and will likely never do such a thing. They barely allow virtualizing macOS let alone that...
I understand that but if you're going to adapt your screens to allow for this "fancier" CarPlay. why would you bother spending months, years even refining your own if 90% of the time people will just use CarPlay when they get into the car. For example, Audi's MMI is just lipstick on a pig so if this CarPlay became available and utilized all the screens and HUD in an Audi, I'd never use the MMI again. I think if automakers adopt this then they run the risk that no one will bother using the cars infotainment so why should they waste money refining it.

The only issue I see for Lucid is they may not want to utilize the new CarPlay as it could make their own ambitions on the in car infotainment redundant.
Ultimately the most important thing is the product quality and the customer experience. Lucid's own hopes and dreams of some glorious infotainment implementation are great. If that's the path they choose to get the best customer experience then they should head down that path. OTOH, if they think they want to be primarily a car company and leave user experience up to a company that is historically quite good at it that's a reasonable path to follow too.

What I'm trying to say is that you pick your product architecture based on your goals, timelines, and predicted customer outcome/tradeoffs. Lucid probably is not deciding whether to implement this new CarPlay stuff just based on thinking "oh now I won't be able to fulfill my glorious infotainment vision!". At least I hope that's not how they're making their decision. If i made my own product architecture decisions that way my peers would probably vote me off the island...

Last edited:
I understand that but if you're going to adapt your screens to allow for this "fancier" CarPlay. why would you bother spending months, years even refining your own if 90% of the time people will just use CarPlay when they get into the car. For example, Audi's MMI is just lipstick on a pig so if this CarPlay became available and utilized all the screens and HUD in an Audi, I'd never use the MMI again. I think if automakers adopt this then they run the risk that no one will bother using the cars infotainment so why should they waste money refining it.
For people like me who don't want to use CarPlay?

For people like me who don't want to use CarPlay?
Tbh, I’m not a fan of CarPlay either and would prefer to use a cars native infotainment as it’s fully integrated. This version of CarPlay looks unique though where it integrates into the cars systems and could be interesting to see in action.

The new CarPlay _is_ supposed to be part of iOS 16 as is. It will be a follow up point release though.
Could have sworn they said “Late next year” during the Keynote. Maybe it was late “this” year?

Could have sworn they said “Late next year” during the Keynote. Maybe it was late “this” year?
Yep. I was right: “Vehicles will start to be announced late next year.” Right at the 41:22 mark.

Polestar came out and said next year for the new CarPlay

Big companies with a lot of money are investing heavily in maps and navigation, like Google and Apple. I do not see how the likes of Lucid can hope to compete with that investment. One of the reasons the Nav is bad in Lucid is bad data. I do not see them investing in their own fleet of cars going around mapping cities, so I think they should pick a solution which allows them to leverage the work someone else is doing.

CarPlay + Android auto would do that.

The reality is virtually all legacy carmakers farm out their infotainment units to outside contractors- often the same companies. Moving to the whole instrument cluster is just the next step. Of course they are all over this, most consumers see a benefit

And Lucid has said nothing yet...
Lucid software engineers I'm sure are reading this. They're working 24 hours a day to get that awesome 1.2.5 update ready to roll out to the rest of us. They must be thinking "we'll dazzle them with 1.2.5 bug improvements and they will forget all about CarPlay!"

Not

And Lucid has said nothing yet...
This is not the sort of decision you make in a day. If Apple didn't reach out to Lucid months ago to give them a preview of this, then they had no idea it was coming like the rest of us, and thus would have no good reason to commit to it just yet.

Apple is a funny company. They pick and choose very carefully who they reveal anything to ahead of time. Lucid is probably not on their radar at this point, with only 1k cars or so on the road.

Big companies with a lot of money are investing heavily in maps and navigation, like Google and Apple. I do not see how the likes of Lucid can hope to compete with that investment. One of the reasons the Nav is bad in Lucid is bad data. I do not see them investing in their own fleet of cars going around mapping cities, so I think they should pick a solution which allows them to leverage the work someone else is doing.

CarPlay + Android auto would do that.

The reality is virtually all legacy carmakers farm out their infotainment units to outside contractors- often the same companies. Moving to the whole instrument cluster is just the next step. Of course they are all over this, most consumers see a benefit
Lucid is using Here Maps and apart from its lackluster options / features it does seem to report traffic and rerouting properly though. The other night an accident had just happened on the freeway and within minutes it was telling me to get off at the next exit to get around the multiple lanes being blocked on the freeway.

I’m surprised that they didn’t go with Google Maps though given the car is running on Android Automotive I would assume it would integrate into Google Maps better than a 3rd party mapping company.

Lucid is using Here Maps and apart from its lackluster options / features it does seem to report traffic and rerouting properly though. The other night an accident had just happened on the freeway and within minutes it was telling me to get off at the next exit to get around the multiple lanes being blocked on the freeway.

I’m surprised that they didn’t go with Google Maps though given the car is running on Android Automotive I would assume it would integrate into Google Maps better than a 3rd party mapping company.
Could have been a cost thing. I have no idea what Google charges car companies for that data, but I'm sure it's not cheap. Could be they have other plans down the road and putting in Google now, only to replace it later, could upset people. Who knows?

Yep. I was right: “Vehicles will start to be announced late next year.” Right at the 41:22 mark.

Yup. Late next year, but think more of the target is before September/October although you’d be right in thinking that could change as vague information like that is given for a reason.

Yup. Late next year, but think more of the target is before September/October although you’d be right in thinking that could change as vague information like that is given for a reason.
Doesn't seem vague to me. No specific car will even be announced as supporting this until late next year. Which means no car will be running this in 2022.

Likely, the first cars that actually ship this will be December 2023, or more likely Q1 2024. A good quarter into iOS 17's lifecycle. Apple just about never ships anything earlier than they announce.

Apple may well be finished on their end before then, but manufacturers will have to adjust their own systems to accommodate the extra data calls, and to respond to the car-owned functions that this will expose to the phone's touch controls. That's likely a many-month process involving collaboration between the auto makers and Apple. Many automakers have probably already set in stone their software plans for the 2023 model year.

This is a lot more complicated than just turning over a screen or portion of a screen to be an external display for the phone.

Meanwhile, third-party developers will need to adjust their apps to be compatible with all the customizable widgets and such. Thus, the "sneak preview" and new developer tools being released now.

Doesn't seem vague to me. No specific car will even be announced as supporting this until late next year. Which means no car will be running this in 2022.

Likely, the first cars that actually ship this will be December 2023, or more likely Q1 2024. A good quarter into iOS 17's lifecycle. Apple just about never ships anything earlier than they announce.

Apple may well be finished on their end before then, but manufacturers will have to adjust their own systems to accommodate the extra data calls, and to respond to the car-owned functions that this will expose to the phone's touch controls. That's likely a many-month process involving collaboration between the auto makers and Apple. Many automakers have probably already set in stone their software plans for the 2023 model year.

This is a lot more complicated than just turning over a screen or portion of a screen to be an external display for the phone.

Meanwhile, third-party developers will need to adjust their apps to be compatible with all the customizable widgets and such. Thus, the "sneak preview" and new developer tools being released now.
I have direct insight into this from my profession. So I’m not pulling rabbits in speculative nonsense in case you were wondering… (we had people in the know ahead of time)

I work for a company that’s on their adopter list and I do work on the software side.

Feel free to speculate though 😅

Interesting new take on CarPlay to be fully integrated into the cars whole control system. I was hoping this was why Lucid was delaying the release of CarPlay because they were working with Apple on this new version of it. Sadly, it appears Lucid wasn't shown in the list of automakers which I think is a missed opportunity. The one advantage is that it now seems to support the plethora of different screen sizes in cars which will benefit Lucid.

Was stated in WWDC to not expect to see it until later next year.

View attachment 2543

View attachment 2544
much as I love the LOOK of this... I am rather deeply concerned about the idea that Car Play would be the OS for my car. I am v happy with it as a veneer but I want hardened tested quality software to run the car.

Could have been a cost thing. I have no idea what Google charges car companies for that data, but I'm sure it's not cheap. Could be they have other plans down the road and putting in Google now, only to replace it later, could upset people. Who knows?
I think it's because Google maps doesn't integrate with battery SOC for range calculations?

Back