iOS 16 - CarPlay

No, there are existing protocols for the car to communicate directly with iOS and report data. Anything running here is going through existing connections that exist with CarPlay today. The cars themselves just have to have software integrations that meet these protocol requirements and report data correctly. Any special sauce in car hardware isn’t provided by Apple per say and the phone will remain the core mirror for everything.
Does that mean...if you don't have an iPhone then you can't get snazzy screens like that?

No, there are existing protocols for the car to communicate directly with iOS and report data. Anything running here is going through existing connections that exist with CarPlay today. The cars themselves just have to have software integrations that meet these protocol requirements and report data correctly. Any special sauce in car hardware isn’t provided by Apple per say and the phone will remain the core mirror for everything.
I think Apple will have to sacrifice some of their principles to allow a manufacturer this level of access for CarPlay.

I mean, they don’t even allow macOS to be installed on windows machines. They are that particular.

Does that mean...if you don't have an iPhone then you can't get snazzy screens like that?
Correct. The manufacturers will still need to create UI for people who don’t want to use CarPlay. People without iPhones, etc.

I think Apple will have to sacrifice some of their principles to allow a manufacturer this level of access for CarPlay.

I mean, they don’t even allow macOS to be installed on windows machines. They are that particular.
I’m not sure what you mean. (Note the company I’m a software engineer for is up on that list supporting this in the future).

Apple has done this in a very Apple-y way. Cars have an ability to report data to and from the phone. It’s just protocols.

They aren’t giving the car access to anything. It’s the other way around. They are asking the car to hand over the data to your phone.

I don’t think this would be a hard integration. As others have mentioned it’s all about the car giving data to the iPhone and the iPhone being able to send command back when you go to adjust A/C etc. The CarPlay concept in itself is a smart one and Apple controls it all by keeping it running on the phone itself and just mirroring to the car.

The biggest challenge is probably how automakers want everything to display. Every car company has no consistency when it comes to displays so the onus will fall on them to how they do the design and layout no doubt.

And Polestar uses Android Automotive for the vehicle OS. Wonder if they will keep Both?
Very likely. There are a ton of people who don’t use iPhones.

@hydbob your a moderator now. It would be interesting to know %iOS vs Android on this site.

Very likely. There are a ton of people who don’t use iPhones.

actually Android automotive is different from android auto. The naming convention is very confusing. Android automotive is the actual vehicle operating system. Android auto is more like a projection function same as current CarPlay. Cadillac lyriq will also use android automotive for the vehicle OS.

I think not putting more effort into CarPlay / Android auto was a huge strategic mistake for Lucid. Having familiarity with the car day one and access to so many apps would have greatly increased owner satisfaction.

I think not putting more effort into CarPlay / Android auto was a huge strategic mistake for Lucid. Having familiarity with the car day one and access to so many apps would have greatly increased owner satisfaction.
I think Lucid knows they messed up given the most recent interview with Peter was talking about CarPlay being a priority.

I think Lucid knows they messed up given the most recent interview with Peter was talking about CarPlay being a priority.
Do you have a link? I missed that one.

actually Android automotive is different from android auto. The naming convention is very confusing. Android automotive is the actual vehicle operating system. Android auto is more like a projection function same as current CarPlay. Cadillac lyriq will also use android automotive for the vehicle OS.
Yes. But regardless, the car will need to have its own software for anyone who isn’t using an iPhone. Thus, the Android automotive underneath will still be needed.

@hydbob your a moderator now. It would be interesting to know %iOS vs Android on this site.
I had that poll up. Maybe I should resurrect it but it was essentially and 80/20 split I think. Let me dig it up!

I had that poll up. Maybe I should resurrect it but it was essentially and 80/20 split I think. Let me dig it up!
I’m sure the site has pretty good analytics. iOS has huge share for those that spend, but a car like the Air does attract the MS and Google crowd as well. I’m iOS, but work for technology company and many of the engineers are Android. Not a Android hater except for the lengthy boot times of the Lucid. Android Automotive problem or just poor implementation by Lucid? 64K question.

Check our the WWDC this year, CarPlay support multiple screens. Guess when Lucid can release their version.

See this thread for iOS 16 & CarPlay

Back