iOS 16 - CarPlay

HC_79

Verified Owner
Cars
2023 Lucid Air GT
Referral Code
AWNJLGKT
Interesting new take on CarPlay to be fully integrated into the cars whole control system. I was hoping this was why Lucid was delaying the release of CarPlay because they were working with Apple on this new version of it. Sadly, it appears Lucid wasn't shown in the list of automakers which I think is a missed opportunity. The one advantage is that it now seems to support the plethora of different screen sizes in cars which will benefit Lucid.

Was stated in WWDC to not expect to see it until later next year.

1654537872896.png

1654537918190.png

Last edited:
Lucid may eventually adopt it. When the original CarPlay came out is definitely seemed like it took a couple years before it was available in more than a handful of makes/models. This is a obviously a major revision with significantly expanded capabilities, so even though they say release late next year I think it might be some time beyond that when we can buy a car with it.

It would have been nice to see a "We've partnered with Lucid....." moment like they did with BMW on the Apple Key and show how CarPlay would look using the Lucid screens. Would have helped with brand recognition and also explain why it's taken Lucid so long to deliver CarPlay into the car. To me, all this shows is how Lucid didn't prioritize software and now they're paying the price with the limited features and bugs since launching the car.

DCCBF636-F784-45E1-BFB0-7EF0ABEE8E1D.jpeg

Interesting that Polestar made the cut not Lucid though.

View attachment 2546
Interesting that Polestar made the cut not Lucid though.
I sincerely hope they read these forms. They should be listening. I'd be really impressed if someone from the software team posted a response.

No BMW either - seems like all the German luxury brands would be in on this.
Also interesting they show Porsche and Audi, but not VW. Perhaps VW plans to implement only on their premium brands.

I’m sure more partners will adopt this. Users will demand it.

This was everything I hoped for next Gen CarPlay and more. I sincerely hope Lucid will adopt it as soon as it is available late next year. In the meantime, get a good implementation going this year with the current limitations.

I’m sure more partners will adopt this. Users will demand it.

This was everything I hoped for next Gen CarPlay and more. I sincerely hope Lucid will adopt it as soon as it is available late next year. In the meantime, get a good implementation going this year with the current limitations.
I think the Lucid screens could actually adapt well to the new interface. It's impressive and if it can get access to the cars data then it provides limitless options when it comes to Apps etc. For example, Apple Maps with EV charger searching when navigating based on the cars efficiency metrics being presented to the app would be awesome compared to the lackluster navigation we've got now.

Apple buying Lucid so it's automatically included.

jk I know nothing

Apple buying Lucid so it's automatically included.

jk I know nothing
LOL! I wish Apple would buy Lucid. The rumor however is a pipe dream especially when Saudi has a 62% stake in the company and I don't think Apple's values line up with Saudi Arabia.

Seems like this version meant to do everything for the car. Even show speed and such.

I bet Apple is considering having iOS runs cars natively.

Saudi buys Apple. Oh wait, could be the other way. Apple buys Saudi.
Saudi is bigger than Apple. And Saudi Royal family has 1.7T networth. Thanks to all F-150 owners and Washington DC policy makers.

0D4F41BA-B23A-46D7-8280-1C8F49D29052.jpeg

Seems like this version meant to do everything for the car. Even show speed and such.

I bet Apple is considering having iOS runs cars natively.
This version would need to run natively- it seems like it integrates into all systems of the car. I’d imagine Apple would be dictating the hardware requirements- seems likely it would require their own chips.

This version would need to run natively- it seems like it integrates into all systems of the car. I’d imagine Apple would be dictating the hardware requirements- seems likely it would require their own chips.
No, there are existing protocols for the car to communicate directly with iOS and report data. Anything running here is going through existing connections that exist with CarPlay today. The cars themselves just have to have software integrations that meet these protocol requirements and report data correctly. Any special sauce in car hardware isn’t provided by Apple per say and the phone will remain the core mirror for everything.

My guess is the manufacturer can send Apple whatever data it requests, and all processing is done on the phone. No custom chip required in the car. Just feed over current speed, charge, etc.

The car would still handle car functions, like AC, vents, and such. But it would feed CarPlay the current data so CarPlay can display it. Pretty clever.

I’m sure there will be degrees of integration, where some manufacturers don’t offer all customizable features, etc.

Apple needs the companies to adopt this. So they will give them some leeway. But once a few do it well, the pressure will be on for others to do the whole thing.

It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out. But it will be at least a year and a half before we see any of it ship.

Back