• NOTICE (May 14 - 11:00 PM - 1:00 AM ET)

LucidOwners.com server will be down for maintenance during this scheduled time.
    Please note there will be a period of time when the forum is unaccessible. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

iOS 16 - CarPlay

actually Android automotive is different from android auto. The naming convention is very confusing. Android automotive is the actual vehicle operating system. Android auto is more like a projection function same as current CarPlay. Cadillac lyriq will also use android automotive for the vehicle OS.
And ... as I recall, Lucid also uses Android Automotive as the underlying vehicle os

I have direct insight into this from my profession. So I’m not pulling rabbits in speculative nonsense in case you were wondering… (we had people in the know ahead of time)

I work for a company that’s on their adopter list and I do work on the software side.

Feel free to speculate though 😅

I have no basis for speculating here, but at this moment in time most of us do not need/want the advanced features offered in the future update - the current question is what does this announcement mean for car play this year?

I have no basis for speculating here, but at this moment in time most of us do not need/want the advanced features offered in the future update - the current question is what does this announcement mean for car play this year?
Nothing for this year unfortunately, but very exciting stuff to come next year (if no unexpected delays happen).

Nothing for this year unfortunately, but very exciting stuff to come next year (if no unexpected delays happen).
Fascinating. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be clearly holding yourself out as knowing when Apple Car Play will be implemented in the Lucid, and saying not this year (opposite to what the company is saying). I'm sorry, but you put it out there...care to expound?

Fascinating. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be clearly holding yourself out as knowing when Apple Car Play will be implemented in the Lucid, and saying not this year (opposite to what the company is saying). I'm sorry, but you put it out there...care to expound?
I think he was referring to next gen CarPlay coming next year, not the current CarPlay that is supposedly coming Q3 this year to our cars.

I think he was referring to next gen CarPlay coming next year, not the current CarPlay that is supposedly coming Q3 this year to our cars.
The original question I asked in response to his post was pretty direct about this year...

Oh no, I’m not speaking for Lucid at all or standard CarPlay integration. The topic is tied to the new CarPlay software and when that will be released.

This being the start of the above conversation:

Post in thread 'iOS 16 - CarPlay'
https://lucidowners.com/threads/ios-16-carplay.1599/post-37366

Oh no, I’m not speaking for Lucid at all or standard CarPlay integration. The topic is tied to the new CarPlay software and when that will be released.
Ah, ok. Cool. My impression from your reply was you were saying standard CarPlay was not coming this year. I get that the new version is out in the future.

So, is there any reason the standard can't be implemented in the meantime? We're all curious about options and possibilities, both near and long term.

Ah, ok. Cool. My impression from your reply was you were saying standard CarPlay was not coming this year. I get that the new version is out in the future.

So, is there any reason the standard can't be implemented in the meantime? We're all curious about options and possibilities, both near and long term.
That would be a Lucid engineer question 😅

I have direct insight into this from my profession. So I’m not pulling rabbits in speculative nonsense in case you were wondering… (we had people in the know ahead of time)

I work for a company that’s on their adopter list and I do work on the software side.

Feel free to speculate though 😅
Okay. I look forward to the car that has this running this fall, then. Should be interesting.

Okay. I look forward to the car that has this running this fall, then. Should be interesting.
Nothing will have this this year/fall. There’s hope for next year, but delays from unforeseen events can always happen.

For me, CarPlay is a deal killer. If Lucid can't get CarPlay to work on the Lucid I will get rid of the car. It would demonstrate an inability to incorporate what every quality car has on it today and a lack of commitment by Lucid. I currently use CarPlay on my Porsche and it far exceeds any system I have seen by any car manufacturer. A car this expensive without CarPlay is crazy.

For me, CarPlay is a deal killer. If Lucid can't get CarPlay to work on the Lucid I will get rid of the car. It would demonstrate an inability to incorporate what every quality car has on it today and a lack of commitment by Lucid. I currently use CarPlay on my Porsche and it far exceeds any system I have seen by any car manufacturer. A car this expensive without CarPlay is crazy.
Really goes to show how varied and heartfelt many people are about their needs/desires when it comes to software and interface. While some don't plan on using CarPlay, others won't keep the vehicle without it. At the end of the day, the one common element is that buyers in the luxury car segment have rightfully high expectations of all aspects of the vehicle from drive to comfort to user experience.

Really goes to show how varied and heartfelt many people are about their needs/desires when it comes to software and interface. While some don't plan on using CarPlay, others won't keep the vehicle without it. At the end of the day, the one common element is that buyers in the luxury car segment have rightfully high expectations of all aspects of the vehicle from drive to comfort to user experience.
Well I really like the car, but CarPlay is really great. In my opinion it far exceeds anything available from any car manufacturer. See what you will about Apple, they've got this figured out.

Well I really like the car, but CarPlay is really great. In my opinion it far exceeds anything available from any car manufacturer. See what you will about Apple, they've got this figured out.
My problem with the Porsche carplay experience is
  • Atleast in my car, it is a slow/buggy connection. Seems to only connect wirelessly half the time and/or takes 5 minutes to connect
  • It doesn't integrate in with the navigation in the dash. So I see a map in the dash without directions, but the carplay screen has directions. Ideally, it should integrate and overlay the directions

• Atleast in my car, it is a slow/buggy connection. Seems to only connect wirelessly half the time and/or takes 5 minutes to connect
  • It doesn't integrate in with the navigation in the dash. So I see a map in the dash without directions, but the carplay screen has directions. Ideally, it should integrate and overlay the directions
See "Next Generation" Carplay, which will come out next year. Probably not for your existing car, though. Unless Porsche decides to retrofit it.

Companies like Lucid who do regular OTA updates are much more like to provide this sort of thing after the fact to older cars. I can't imagine most of the traditional auto makers doing that.

Yeah, so Mercedes implemented mirroring turn by turn directions from CarPlay on the driver dash (just the turn by turn no Apple Maps or anything unavailable yet). Porsche basically did the bare minimum integration (I was disgruntled with this as well). Porsches software, regardless, is absurdly worse in every way.

As to Porsche and CarPlay, I generally have good luck with CarPlay, and it is far superior to Porsche's system. However, it occasionally refuses to connect to my iPhone so I have to pull over, turn off the car, and restart the car. I have reported the issue to Porsche but they seem uninterested. As for the integration, that is also an issue. I agree with you that that does not work the way it should. But all of that is a Porsche problem.

As for the difference between CarPlay and Porsche's navigation system, CarPlay is far superior. I have actually instances where a traffic light was installed on Tuesday and it popped up on my map on Wednesday. Another thing that's great about CarPlay is that it shows traffic lights and stop signs. This makes it really easy to follow the map. Instead of looking for a specific street name that is coming up, I'm looking for "three traffic lights ahead" for example. I find Apple's CarPlay to be nothing short of fantastic. That said, Porsche's navigation system doesn't integrate with CarPlay so CarPlay's information does not appear on the heads up display, etc. I also get messages from CarPlay that say things like "after the next parking lot turn right." It is that kind of detail that impresses me.

See "Next Generation" Carplay, which will come out next year. Probably not for your existing car, though. Unless Porsche decides to retrofit it.

Companies like Lucid who do regular OTA updates are much more like to provide this sort of thing after the fact to older cars. I can't imagine most of the traditional auto makers doing that.
Yea, I'm aware. I was more pointing out why its not the "bees knees" to me at the moment.

Porsche won't even give the 2020 Taycan owners an update to the software changes in 2022 to get Spotify, there is zero chance my car gets the next Carplay :)

Back