HVAC new humming normal wear and tear?

noobzilla

A few weeks ago we started hearing a new humming coming from the front of inside the car (see image) when the AC is on. It's definitely new because we both heard it when it started. It's a subtle hum, sounds a bit electrical hnnnnng. Only happens when the AC is on so definitely not from the screen. I'm guessing it's from some coolant or pump and perhaps the new sound is just from normal degradation/wear and tear.

I'm getting my car serviced for the wiper issue and a slightly detached A pillar on driver's side + some glass distortion on my windshield. I usually just wait and pile up minor issues that come up so when they check the car it'll save them time and money, but they want to charge me $200 just to check whether that new sound is normal or not. Also another $200 to check the louder than usual HVAC fan/motor coming from the frunk.

Anyone else notice louder noise and/or new humming from their HVAC?

1699723721177.png

I'd wager it's the heating element kicking in as the weather gets cooler. They ring the same way a toaster does when it's cold. It'll modulate in tone as it regulates the temperature.

Looks like $200 is what they charge for any kind of service including what I'm assuming to be a 1 minute check to listen to the sound my AC makes to determine if it's normal or there's a problem. In other posts I'm seeing $200 charge for wheel calibration. If there's a problem on a warranty-covered item then there wont be $200 charge. I suppose this discourages people from having everything checked frequently for free, but $200 is ridiculous for some things like my case.

"The general pay code is set to customer pay until the technician is able to diagnose the concern. If it is related to a warranty covered item, then the pay type is changed to warranty and no payment will be required at the end of service. "

Service rep replied back. I told him I just wanted the technician to hear it and determine if it's normal or not. They changed the language to "Check and advise if noise is normal. Client declines further diagnosis."

Technician picked up my Pure today. He said it sounds normal until we tried the AC on the loaner GT and it didnt make the same sound.

P. S. Suuuuuper excited to drive the loaner GT. I told them they can take as much time as they need to service my car haha

This week my car has also started to hum or buzz when the AC is on. I have service for a handful of other things on December 8th but it’s annoying to say the least. Update the thread once they find the resolution as I’m curious

@koflo Yup it's annoying especially after getting used to not hearing it! Sometimes I wonder if I'm acting spoiled by complaining about something small like this haha I'm just glad the technician acknowledged it so it's definitely not something that's been there but I just noticed now

I get this sound in my pure but assumed it was normal… please keep us posted on the diagnosis and fix!

@koflo @dingo Lucid said they compared it with another car and that it is normal when (forgot name) plus compressor turns on. I'll try it again on the GT

@koflo @dingo Lucid said they compared it with another car and that it is normal when (forgot name) plus compressor turns on. I'll try it again on the GT
Well that’s frustrating. I don’t think that should be acceptable on a car as expensive as this but oh well I guess. I’m still going to complain when I get my car in for service and will update the thread if they come to a different conclusion. Thanks for updating us!

I was able to replicate the humm on the loaner GT.

1) when I first turn on the hvac after the car has been turned off for a while

2) significantly adjusting the temperature can sometimes make it go away

3) as Im typing this I heard the hum again for about 10 secs, stopped for 10 seconds, then started again.

Well that’s frustrating. I don’t think that should be acceptable on a car as expensive as this but oh well I guess. I’m still going to complain when I get my car in for service and will update the thread if they come to a different conclusion. Thanks for updating us!
“I’m still going to complain” sounds like a targeted and planned battle. All you need to do is ask about it. Seems that would be a better tactic in general. Also, the “this is unacceptable on a car as expensive as this” line is overused in this forum and sounds a bit entitled.

“I’m still going to complain” sounds like a targeted and planned battle. All you need to do is ask about it. Seems that would be a better tactic in general. Also, the “this is unacceptable on a car as expensive as this” line is overused in this forum and sounds a bit entitled.
I personally think that air condition humming shouldn’t happen on a $170k sticker priced vehicle. If you disagree that’s fine but I don’t think you’d want to agree with that. I’ve never had a car over $50k do that let alone $170k. Another thing that is overused on this forum is giving Lucid free passes on things that lead to poor experiences with an extremely expensive car. There are plenty that people turn a blind eye to. I’m not saying I’m going to be a Karen and throw a fit. But yes I will raise my concerns/ask nicely/ complain politely. And no, entitlement is much different than paying a lot of money for a car and expecting things to work properly.

I personally think that air condition humming shouldn’t happen on a $170k sticker priced vehicle. If you disagree that’s fine but I don’t think you’d want to agree with that. I’ve never had a car over $50k do that let alone $170k. Another thing that is overused on this forum is giving Lucid free passes on things that lead to poor experiences with an extremely expensive car. There are plenty that people turn a blind eye to. I’m not saying I’m going to be a Karen and throw a fit. But yes I will raise my concerns/ask nicely/ complain politely. And no, entitlement is much different than paying a lot of money for a car and expecting things to work properly.
I think the point is that loud humming shouldn’t happen on any car. $170k, $30k. The price is irrelevant.

The only time I hear any noise out of the ordinary from my Air is when I am fast charging. And I totally understand that. The fans kick in to cool the battery. Just running the AC is not loud at all. I just hear normal fan noise. So maybe the next technician can get to the bottom of it?

I also wish I knew what you guys were talking about. Can someone record it?

After taxes and fees, I'm coming from a $20k Mazda3 to a $100k Lucid so there's a ginormous gap in my knowledge and expectations in a luxury car. I often find myself debating whether the things I want to bring up are "entitled" or "reasonably unacceptable for a car this price". If I notice something unusual, then I just ask to see if it's a problem. I'm also just being careful because I don't want a problem (if it is a problem) to worsen but if it's normal across the other Airs then I'll just accept it. I don't think Lucid is deliberately trying to lie or run away from issues or purposely making an inferior product

I also wish I knew what you guys were talking about. Can someone record it?

I've tried recording it on my phone but other noises are more prominent. Let me try recording on an actual recorder to see if I can pick it up better since I know the location now and how to make it go away (sort of). How would I upload the recording?

I've tried recording it on my phone but other noises are more prominent. Let me try recording on an actual recorder to see if I can pick it up better since I know the location now and how to make it go away (sort of). How would I upload the recording?
YouTube?

Back